New source of global warming gas found: plants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:51:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New source of global warming gas found: plants  (Read 2026 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »

LONDON (Reuters) - German scientists have discovered a new source of methane, a greenhouse gas that is second only to carbon dioxide in its impact on climate change.

The culprits are plants.

They produce about 10 to 30 percent of the annual methane found in the atmosphere, according to researchers at the Max-Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg, Germany.

The scientists measured the amount of methane released by plants in controlled experiments. They found it increases with rising temperatures and exposure to sunlight.

"Significant methane emissions from both intact plants and detached leaves were observed ... in the laboratory and in the field," Dr Frank Keppler and his team said in a report in the journal Nature.

Methane, which is produced by city rubbish dumps, coal mining, flatulent animals, rice cultivation and peat bogs, is one of the most potent greenhouse gases in terms of its ability to trap heat.

Concentrations of the gas in the atmosphere have almost tripled in the last 150 years. About 600 million tonnes worldwide are produced annually.

The scientists said their finding is important for understanding the link between global warming and a rise in greenhouse gases.

It could also have implications for the Kyoto Protocol, which calls for developed countries to cut their emissions of greenhouse gases by 5.2 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-12.

Keppler and his colleagues discovered that living plants emit 10 to 100 times more methane than dead plants.

Scientists had previously thought that plants could only emit methane in the absence of oxygen.

David Lowe, of the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand, said the findings are startling and controversial.

"Keppler and colleagues' finding helps to account for observations from space of incredibly large plumes of methane above tropical forests," he said in a commentary on the research.

But the study also poses questions, such as how such a potentially large source of methane could have been overlooked and how plants produced it.

"There will be a lively scramble among researchers for the answers to these and other questions," Lowe added.

I think we need a massive program of deforestation.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »

Save the planet - destroy the rainforests.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 12:26:51 PM »

First flutulent cows, now this Smiley

It's a very interesting article indeed. I think people are often reluctant to acknowledde 'non human' causes of global warming too and that helps no one in preparing for the future.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »

There's quite an obvious solution to global warming: destroy Earth.  You can't very well heat up that which does not exist.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:49 PM »

LOL
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »

Quickly, increase those wildfires!!!! Tongue
Chiahead

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »

Kill a tree, save the earth!
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:56:56 PM »

Chiahead?  Sounds like you need to shave your head, you planet killing monster!
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 06:18:10 PM »

Speaking of global warming, according to this article its already too late.http://www.energybulletin.net/12126.html

"The world has already passed the point of no return for climate change, and civilisation as we know it is now unlikely to survive, according to James Lovelock, the scientist and green guru who conceived the idea of Gaia - the Earth which keeps itself fit for life."

Looks like I can give my long johns to the salvation army. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »

Speaking of global warming, according to this article its already too late.http://www.energybulletin.net/12126.html

"The world has already passed the point of no return for climate change, and civilisation as we know it is now unlikely to survive, according to James Lovelock, the scientist and green guru who conceived the idea of Gaia - the Earth which keeps itself fit for life."

These people really are a joke.  Twenty years ago, they were warning of a new ice age.  They better get their stories straight.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:24:54 AM »

I saw that the other day.  I still think the best bet is to plant more trees and work towards a hydrogen economy. 
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:55:33 PM »

I saw that the other day.  I still think the best bet is to plant more trees and work towards a hydrogen economy. 
Where do you get the hydrogen from?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 04:59:59 PM »

Cracking petroleum, of course
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 08:17:45 PM »

Sums up the fact that global warming is from nature.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:13 AM »

You can extract hydrogen through sewage processing.  A simple process which is already in existance is the making of clean water from sewage by breaking down the material and injecting large amounts of oxygen into the mix.  Scientists have moved the oxygen injection process and replaced it with a small electrical current, which allows the creation of free hydrogen.  The remaining by-product is the same as you have now.  All you need is a collection system to capture the hydrogen, and you are good to go . . . systems that can be in place across the nation (if sewage treatment is not already there) to generate hydrogen locally at low costs (since you are already paying for the sewage treatment aspect).
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 11:20:40 PM »

These people really are a joke.  Twenty years ago, they were warning of a new ice age.  They better get their stories straight.

I think you mean two years ago (the movie The Day After Tomorrow).
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:04 AM »

Yay! with this new fact we can establish that global warming doesn't matter, or exist! Now we can have a good chuckle about it and go back to bed!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies