Democrats Only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Democrats Only
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: With which organization do you more strongly associate yourself?
Progressive Democrats of America

Democratic Leadership Council

Blue Dog Coalition

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Democrats Only  (Read 3044 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 10:53:44 PM »

The DLC is a joke. It has some members that blindly criticize all liberals, and it also has Gavin Newsom as a member.

DLC is too broad based.  It has some economic left-centrists like Allyson Schwartz and Joe Hoeffel who are merely deficit hawks and in favor of welfare/Section 8 reform like myself... go to Evan Bayh....  Joe Lieberman...... now ZELL MILLER!!!!  There needs to me a midway point between the ultra-liberals and the DLC, but hey, that's my opinion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 11:00:11 PM »

Actually, we should stand as one party united, not a factioned and hapless group of losers. We should present ourselves in a united front, and not bicker endlessly over nitpicky issues and say "Well I'm in the DLC" or "I'm a blue dog".

Each person has thier own beliefs, which is why I believe the party shouldn't factionalize like that... We argue with ourselves as much as with the Republicans.

You might say, they have factions too, and that's true. But, they don't in-fight as much as we do. They always present a united front, and I believe we should do the same.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »

Actually, we should stand as one party united, not a factioned and hapless group of losers. We should present ourselves in a united front, and not bicker endlessly over nitpicky issues and say "Well I'm in the DLC" or "I'm a blue dog".

Each person has thier own beliefs, which is why I believe the party shouldn't factionalize like that... We argue with ourselves as much as with the Republicans.

You might say, they have factions too, and that's true. But, they don't in-fight as much as we do. They always present a united front, and I believe we should do the same.

Well, no two people have the same political views regardless of party.  I can't stand the Cynthia McKinney's and Al Sharpton's of the Dems nor the sellout corporate members of the DLC.  Unfortunately, I think there are times we have to unite with them to have a stronger base.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 11:08:05 PM »

It's the current DLC's form of wimpyness on bread-and-butter economic issues and latte-liberal social beliefs that is really killing us among the working class.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 11:12:31 PM »

This is exactly what I mean... I don't see the Republicans bicker this much... You guys wanna make us look like a bunch of schmucks who can't agree with ourselves, let alone anyone else, then fine. But, we have a PRINCIPLE to stand up for the little guy in this party. We don't sound much like it, we sound like a bunch of putzes when we disagree like that.

United we stand, divided we fall. Remember that.

And if you think the forum us bad, this same thing goes on at the top level.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 11:28:41 PM »

This is exactly what I mean... I don't see the Republicans bicker this much... You guys wanna make us look like a bunch of schmucks who can't agree with ourselves, let alone anyone else, then fine. But, we have a PRINCIPLE to stand up for the little guy in this party. We don't sound much like it, we sound like a bunch of putzes when we disagree like that.

And if you think the forum us bad, this same thing goes on at the top level.

You're right, the latte liberals aren't doing much, but killing us in terms of an "elitist image."  On the other hand, they bankroll our elections and the unions don't do crap anymore. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 11:44:12 PM »

The DLC is a joke. It has some members that blindly criticize all liberals, and it also has Gavin Newsom as a member.

DLC is too broad based.  It has some economic left-centrists like Allyson Schwartz and Joe Hoeffel who are merely deficit hawks and in favor of welfare/Section 8 reform like myself... go to Evan Bayh....  Joe Lieberman...... now ZELL MILLER!!!!  There needs to me a midway point between the ultra-liberals and the DLC, but hey, that's my opinion.

Zell Miller is still considered a Democrat? There's everything you need to know about what's wrong with the Democratic party right there. His 2004 ACU rating was 96, a more extreme score than than crazies like Allen and Frist,.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 12:55:07 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2006, 12:57:03 AM by Frodo »

This is exactly what I mean... I don't see the Republicans bicker this much... You guys wanna make us look like a bunch of schmucks who can't agree with ourselves, let alone anyone else, then fine.

(...) We don't sound much like it, we sound like a bunch of putzes when we disagree like that.

In a time of war and peril, I place more emphasis on my love and loyalty to my country as an American citizen than to the Democratic Party.  Unlike you liberals, my partisanship stops at the water's edge.  If that means I risk being called a DINO for being insufficiently 'loyal', then so be it. 

And you seem to worry more about the welfare of the Democratic Party than you do about the welfare of your country, especially if we do what you liberals want us to do -pull out of Iraq immediately Saigon-style no matter the consequences, even if it results in Iraq turning into a failed state, and a haven for terrorists, and a propaganda coup for Al Qaeda and radical Islam throughout the globe. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I hope you know that that 'little guy' is more likely than not a populist and a patriot -and I doubt he would have anything in common with upper-middle class Latte Liberals telling him that they know better than he where his best interests lie.

Millions of blue-collar Americans who would agree with the Democratic Party economically will never align with those who disparage their faith and values, and have proven that they can never be entrusted with the security of this nation in a time of war, especially when the going gets tough.

From what I have seen both on and off this forum, I can't say I'd blame them. 

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 01:03:06 AM »

Allow me to say, I am NOT a "latte Liberal" My dad only makes 11,000 dollars a year... Most of the income in my house comes from my standup work. I am concerned about this country, and I never supported a big pullout as you suggested. What I was saying Frodo was a truly national party, blind to the bickering and in-fighting that is going on. When you say you are a Democrat that should be enough.

I am a budget hawk, I wanted to bomb the hell out of Afghanistan, but just because I didn't want to go to Iraq, that doesn't make me a coward.

Oh, and the little guy is people like my dad, who can't get a better job because of his age and competition. People like my uncle, a Vietnam vet who the government cast aside and forgot about. The little guy is the one I believe the Democratic Party has a sworn duty to protect....

Dump your latte liberal sh**t. It doesn't work on me!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 01:12:06 AM »

Same.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 05:36:50 AM »

I'm a proud Latte Liberal! 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 09:03:15 AM »

This is exactly what I mean... I don't see the Republicans bicker this much... You guys wanna make us look like a bunch of schmucks who can't agree with ourselves, let alone anyone else, then fine.

(...) We don't sound much like it, we sound like a bunch of putzes when we disagree like that.

In a time of war and peril, I place more emphasis on my love and loyalty to my country as an American citizen than to the Democratic Party.  Unlike you liberals, my partisanship stops at the water's edge.  If that means I risk being called a DINO for being insufficiently 'loyal', then so be it. 

And you seem to worry more about the welfare of the Democratic Party than you do about the welfare of your country, especially if we do what you liberals want us to do -pull out of Iraq immediately Saigon-style no matter the consequences, even if it results in Iraq turning into a failed state, and a haven for terrorists, and a propaganda coup for Al Qaeda and radical Islam throughout the globe. 

And I hope you know that that 'little guy' is more likely than not a populist and a patriot -and I doubt he would have anything in common with upper-middle class Latte Liberals telling him that they know better than he where his best interests lie.

Millions of blue-collar Americans who would agree with the Democratic Party economically will never align with those who disparage their faith and values, and have proven that they can never be entrusted with the security of this nation in a time of war, especially when the going gets tough.

From what I have seen both on and off this forum, I can't say I'd blame them. 

"Latte liberal" is a pretty stupid term.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 09:16:46 AM »

To be quite brutal here: It's not as if there was anything Howard Dean could have done to prevent that, once Bush decided that that's what Iraq was going to get. As he clearly did, since noone seriously suggested a different outcome to an invasion.

Too true.
There is somebody else who's proven exactly that, and benefitted immensely from it last election.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2006, 09:36:33 AM »

I would probably associate with the Blue Dog Coalition, but would support either Blue Dog or DLC presidential candidates

Dave
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2006, 12:12:54 PM »

Probably DLC.

DFA should be on the list.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2006, 06:54:12 PM »

Probably DLC.

I'm surprised -I thought you of all people would most identify as a Blue Dog populist. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2006, 07:04:03 PM »

(...) and have proven that they can never be entrusted with the security of this nation in a time of war, especially when the going gets tough.
There is somebody else who's proven exactly that, and benefitted immensely from it last election.

And who may that be?  If you are talking about Hillary Clinton (who voted for the Iraq War Resolution), and her benefitting from John Kerry's loss in the last presidential election, she will be hard-pressed to hold her own from an anti-war challenger like Russ Feingold, and I do not believe she will benefit all that much from having given both her ostensibly progressive base and sought-after centrists cause to distrust her. 
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »

Latte liberal.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »

(...) and have proven that they can never be entrusted with the security of this nation in a time of war, especially when the going gets tough.

And who may that be?  If you are talking about Hillary Clinton (who voted for the Iraq War Resolution), and her benefitting from John Kerry's loss in the last presidential election, she will be hard-pressed to hold her own from an anti-war challenger like Russ Feingold, and I do not believe she will benefit all that much from having given both her ostensibly progressive base and sought-after centrists cause to distrust her. 

She's an opportunist. Someone will take her down.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2006, 07:35:59 PM »

While Im not a Dem, Im kindof still associated with the party, and I would say option 1.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »

DLC
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2006, 09:12:33 PM by nickshepDEM »

Probably DLC.

I'm surprised -I thought you of all people would most identify as a Blue Dog populist. 

The Blue Dog's really arent that 'populist' (socially-right, economically-left).   Example:  Majority of them voted for the Bankruptcy Bill of 2005.

Mark Warner is my ideal DLC candidate.  A pragmatic thinker who prefers progress over partisanship.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2006, 06:39:52 AM »

Mark Warner is my ideal DLC candidate.  A pragmatic thinker who prefers progress over partisanship.

Sounds like a patsy.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »

Blue Dogs are socially conservative and are moderately economically conservative.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies