Opinion of Matthew 5:28 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:54:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Matthew 5:28 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Matthew 5:28
a general and metaphorical warning to guard one's thoughts

a prescription for mental health problems

a beautiful saying of Jesus that should be embraced by feminists--he did not say "women, dress modestly"

something else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Opinion of Matthew 5:28  (Read 692 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 02, 2019, 11:03:50 PM »

From the beginning of thought to the beginning of action is but a second; so I think philosophically and morally it is sound. Practically? Perhaps unlikely....

The suggestion that leering at someone is literally morally tantamount to adultery is probably hyperbole, but it's definitely not a good thing to do, and more straight men could stand to take that to heart. The idea that this verse is meant to impose obligations on women rather than on men is of course absolutely ridiculous and worthy of no serious consideration.
I understand the quote is given in the context of within a straight, patriarchal society, but I don’t really like how a large part of the “inclusive Church” has chosen to ignore the vices of lust and adultery in a lot of their moral teachings - sometimes to the point of excluding traditional and right (in my view) Christian ideas about relationships/sexual morality from applying to gay people.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:20:43 PM »

Those that do support same sex marriage, and therefore bring same sex couples into the same covenant, I've never heard of them not applying the same standards and expectations of monogamy and mutual respect to same sex couples.

I'm tired of people 'berating' gays for not being monogamous, or having multiple partners when society did everything it could to discourage us from settling down and offering nothing to those who did while allowing straights not only marriage and tax benefits but 'privacy' in that marriage to be monogamous or in some cases not, and also offer easy divorce.
Wow. I’m not “berating gays”.... I’m saying that “leftist Christians” (to the extent I believe faith and politics are sadly intertwined) often dismiss even the concept of morality because it’s something proposed by the Religious Right.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »

My apologies - I worded it poorly. I meant I was uncomfortable with pro-gay churches that openly reject monogamy, fidelity, and traditional Christian morality. Not that there was so much a double standard thereof.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:04:47 PM »

I don’t understand what you mean; Nathan is correct - a small (if growing) number of churches see little to no reason to keep traditional Christian teachings on premarital sex, frankly, among a number of other issues.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies