Kamala Harris supporters schaudenfreude thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:36:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris supporters schaudenfreude thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris supporters schaudenfreude thread  (Read 4590 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 03, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »

Look, I hate the #KHive and am excited to see Kamala go, but they are 100% right on this one.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »

Look, I hate the #KHive and am excited to see Kamala go, but they are 100% right on this one.
Bill DeBlasio, Beto O'Rourke, Seth Moulton, Tim Ryan, Jay Inslee, John Hickenlooper, Kristen Gillibrand, Joe Sestak, Eric Swalwell and Steve Bullock all say hi.

I'm very offended Mayor Pete is not only in the race but a frontrunner on behalf of those candidates, too
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 09:19:00 PM by RaphaelDLG »

Ah yes, all of that gay privilege. The gay erasure going on in this primary is quite evident in this tone-deaf tweet and response.

What a joke of an analysis.

Somehow despite all of the Mayor's obstacles, he's doing pretty well.  

He's a major frontrunner soaking up all of the cash, favorable media coverage, and support of affluent white liberals despite the fact that he's the mayor a town of 100,000 people mostly run by a city manager with an atrocious record and alternatively vapid/horrifying politics, and is running against the two most important Democratic senators of the last decade and a former two-term Democratic Vice President.

I don't really think his identity is as much of an obstacle in the primary race, seeing as the primary is in large part determined by two of whitest and most liberal dem primary states in the union.  Maybe in the general it will be, though public opinion on gay rights has come a remarkably long way since 2004.

Kamala, on the other hand, couldn't break through despite being elected multiple times to statewide races in a state large enough to be bigger than most countries and running a substantially more issues-based campaign.

I don't know, am I wrong?

Quote from: Statilius the Epicureanlink=topic=349132.msg7076539#msg7076539date=1575425030 uid=13203
I like the claim that the Democratic Party electorate is racist because black voters liked Biden (Warren/Sanders for younger AAs) more than they did Harris.

I don't think it makes sense to say that the party electorate is straight-up racist, more that the media and donor base is WAY too favorable to the white, male, right-wing candidates
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:10:31 AM »

Ah yes, all of that gay privilege. The gay erasure going on in this primary is quite evident in this tone-deaf tweet and response.

What a joke of an analysis.

Somehow despite all of the Mayor's obstacles, he's doing pretty well.  

He's a major frontrunner soaking up all of the cash, favorable media coverage, and support of affluent white liberals despite the fact that he's the mayor a town of 100,000 people mostly run by a city manager with an atrocious record and alternatively vapid/horrifying politics, and is running against the two most important Democratic senators of the last decade and a former two-term Democratic Vice President.

I don't really think his identity is as much of an obstacle in the primary race, seeing as the primary is in large part determined by two of whitest and most liberal dem primary states in the union.  Maybe in the general it will be, though public opinion on gay rights has come a remarkably long way since 2004.

Kamala, on the other hand, couldn't break through despite being elected multiple times to statewide races in a state large enough to be bigger than most countries and running a substantially more issues-based campaign.

I don't know, am I wrong?

Quote from: Statilius the Epicureanlink=topic=349132.msg7076539#msg7076539date=1575425030 uid=13203
I like the claim that the Democratic Party electorate is racist because black voters liked Biden (Warren/Sanders for younger AAs) more than they did Harris.

I don't think it makes sense to say that the party electorate is straight-up racist, more that the media and donor base is WAY too favorable to the white, male, right-wing candidates

Yes, you're quite wrong.

What's so incredibly frustrating about how Pete is being covered is that so-called "progressives" and "allies" are taking a conservative approach in their criticisms by blatantly ignoring Pete's sexuality. You can't just cut off a piece of a persons identity and pretend it's not there. Pete will ALWAYS be gay. He was born that way an lives his life every day as a gay man.

By focusing only on his race and sex, you're erasing his gayness in order to highlight his cis, white male privileges. That's blatant heterosexism and textbook queer erasure. Clearly he is also always white and male, but so are all of the other white male candidates. There's no question that being a white male earns you social benefits.

However, when you ignore Pete's gayness you're just perpetuating the queer erasure that has gone on in this country for decades, and erasing the systemic marginalization he's faced as a gay man growing up in a country believing he would never be able to get married or have a family like all the other straight people. Where he had to suppress his sexuality because homosexuality was largely frowned upon and viewed as a sin. Not to mention having to serve in the military under DADT.

To argue that Pete must hold statewide office before running for president or to argue that it’s crazy that some "small-town mayor" is being taken more seriously than the qualified women, ignores that only 0.1% of elected officials are out LGBTQ people. Which LGBTQ people should be “allowed” to run, exactly? There are hardly any in any elected office!

Not to mention the fact that according to most polling people are less likely to vote for an LGBTQ candidate than a woman or a black person. Let's also conveniently ignore the fact Pete hails from the Republican bastion of INDIANA. It's just an obvious fact that structural homophobia makes it enormously more difficult for him to win a state-wide election.

I'm not saying you have to view Pete as qualified, but ignoring why his experience looks like it does is to disregard systemic homophobia that keeps LGBTQ politicians from garnering more traditional political experience.

1) re your first paragraph, who the hell in the media and the other campaigns is actually substantially criticizing Buttigieg at all?  This guy is getting treated with kid gloves.

2) re your second point, sure, homophobia absolutely is still a barrier in society - maybe not in the iowa democratic primary, but definitely with winning statewide races in Indiana - but does that mean we give such an unproven candidate the nomination in an important national election, particularly when his politics and personal character are so mediocre anyway?  Of course not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies