Demographics of Democrats who aren’t black, hispanic, or Muslim
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:23:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Demographics of Democrats who aren’t black, hispanic, or Muslim
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographics of Democrats who aren’t black, hispanic, or Muslim  (Read 736 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2019, 05:21:48 AM »

What white, non-hispanic, non-Muslim demographics tend to vote Democratic? What similarities and differences exist among them? For example, what similarities and differences exist between the tendencies of college student feminists and those of doctors who perform abortion?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 12:40:01 PM by Deluded retread Vice Chair LFROMNJ »

Jews and asians.
Edit also plenty of others.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »

And Native Americans.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »

White non-hispanic Catholics tend to vote democratic since they tend to be more educated and concentrated in urban areas than the county as a whole.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2019, 04:35:50 PM by Orser67 »

What white, non-hispanic, non-Muslim demographics tend to vote Democratic?

I think a couple earlier posters missed the bolded part of OP's post. Anyway, compared to Republicans, non-Hispanic white Democrats are more likely to be/have:

*Liberal (or at least not conservative)
*Female
*LGBT
*Not Christian (and especially not evangelical Protestant)
*Unmarried
*College education (and especially graduate education)
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Live in an urban core area
*Live in a major metro area
*Not live in a rural area
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

For white voters only, I'm curious about the relationship between income and partisanship. The overall trend is for higher income to make one more Republican, and higher education to make one more Democratic, but I'm curious how this plays out among white voters only.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:36:29 PM »

I think a couple earlier posters missed the bolded part of OP's post. Anyway, compared to Republicans, these Democrats are more likely to be/have:

*Liberal (and not conservative)
*Gay
*Not Christian
*Unmarried
*College education
*Graduate education
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

For white voters only, I'm curious about the relationship between income and partisanship. The overall trend is for higher income to make one more Republican, and higher education to make one more Democratic, but I'm curious how this plays out among white voters only.
My instinct is that very poor and very rich whites tend to vote Democratic and those in the middle tend to vote Republican, in aggregate.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »

I think a couple earlier posters missed the bolded part of OP's post. Anyway, compared to Republicans, these Democrats are more likely to be/have:

*Gay
*Not Christian
*Unmarried
*College education
*Graduate education
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

My instinct is that very poor and very rich whites tend to vote Democratic and those in the middle tend to vote Republican, in aggregate.

I'm not sure this is true of poor whites anymore, at least controlling for age (if not controlling for age, poor whites are probably fairly Democratic, but only because incomes and assets are lower in your 20s than in your 50s).

Defining "very rich" is tough, too. If we're defining it as the top 10% or so of incomes (i.e., low six figures), probably those voters are fairly Democratic. If we're defining it as, say, the top 0.01% of incomes (where you're getting into well into seven-figure annual incomes), that group is probably still very Republican, even if less Republican than it used to be. And then there's a clear sliding scale between the two groups.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »

Unmarried white women are probably the biggest Democratic demographic, outside of African-Americans.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »

Unmarried white women are probably the biggest Democratic demographic, outside of African-Americans.
I'd say that's true of those with postgraduate education who work in government, education or healthcare.

Young white female unmarried servers I know in suburban Detroit are about evenly split between D and R-- an indication, perhaps, that neither party really "gets" this demographic.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »

I'd say that's true of those with postgraduate education who work in government, education or healthcare.

Young white female unmarried servers I know in suburban Detroit are about evenly split between D and R-- an indication, perhaps, that neither party really "gets" this demographic.

There's no question there are regional and rural/suburban/urban disparities. But in general, unmarried white women are more likely to vote Democratic than Republican. Certainly as compared to married white women.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »

*Gay
*Not Christian
*Unmarried
*College education
*Graduate education
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

Maybe, depending on where you place the cutoff ... but Republicans still win the top income bracket, usually, and it’s not like that’s because of the support of wealthy minorities.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:07 PM »

Demographically, I'm sure people would assume my late father was a Republican by looking at his statistics: upper 70s white retiree who watches 4 hours a day of cable news. Except he watched MSNBC instead of Fox and was a diehard Democrat.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »

White non-hispanic Catholics tend to vote democratic since they tend to be more educated and concentrated in urban areas than the county as a whole.

Didn't realise we were living in the 1940s...
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »

Rural whites in Southeast Oklahoma, Eastern Kentucky, West Virginia and Northern Florida.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 10:21:56 PM »

I am not black, Hispanic or Muslim.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »

*Gay
*Not Christian
*Unmarried
*College education
*Graduate education
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

I'm not sure this is true of poor whites anymore, at least controlling for age (if not controlling for age, poor whites are probably fairly Democratic, but only because incomes and assets are lower in your 20s than in your 50s).

Defining "very rich" is tough, too. If we're defining it as the top 10% or so of incomes (i.e., low six figures), probably those voters are fairly Democratic. If we're defining it as, say, the top 0.01% of incomes (where you're getting into well into seven-figure annual incomes), that group is probably still very Republican, even if less Republican than it used to be. And then there's a clear sliding scale between the two groups.

How about the very top?  What can we say about the R/D split among US citizens on the Forbes list, at least based on public endorsements and donation records?  My guess is it's no more than a 60R/40D split and may be closer than that.  I think it's entirely plausible Hillary Clinton won the Forbes list vote. 
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »

*Gay
*Not Christian
*Unmarried
*College education
*Graduate education
*Under 30
*Union membership
*Not live in the South
*Not be a veteran

How about the very top?  What can we say about the R/D split among US citizens on the Forbes list, at least based on public endorsements and donation records?  My guess is it's no more than a 60R/40D split and may be closer than that.  I think it's entirely plausible Hillary Clinton won the Forbes list vote. 

Absolutely no chance Clinton won the Forbes list vote or even came particularly. Read past the top few names and you'll quickly see why.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies