Last election when the community of the universities were more R than the nation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:33:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Last election when the community of the universities were more R than the nation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last election when the community of the universities were more R than the nation  (Read 1019 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2019, 11:29:16 AM »

When was the last presidential election when universities' professors and students voted more republican than the nation?

Recently, the academic community is much more democratic than the country.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:24:02 PM »

When was the last presidential election when universities' professors and students voted more republican than the nation?

I'd say 1960. Nixon got 28.6% in Cambridge, MA and 60% in Amherst, MA in 1960; no Republican since has come close. In 1976, Ford got just 24.6% in Cambridge and 29.3% in Amherst.

Ford did well in Washtenaw Co, MI (U Mich) and Ingham Co, MI (Mich State U) but clearly Ford's home state vote was a factor; in 1960, Nixon got 61% in Washtenaw and 63% in Ingham--no Republican since has come close.

I have no doubt that in the South, university counties were more Republican than the average Southern county-- with Jefferson, AL; Hinds, MS; and Greenville, SC all voting GOP in both '60 and '76 (actually, Hinds went narrowly for the unpledged slate in '60).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 02:18:24 PM »

Nation wide : probably 1956

though southern university towns were  probably more R than the rest of the nation as late as 2004
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »

Nation wide : probably 1956

though southern university towns were  probably more R than the rest of the nation as late as 2004

Southern university towns were more R than the nation as recently as 2016 for the most part, but that might change in 2020. Trump almost certainly will get destroyed in San Marcos in 2020 and probably lose ground in Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Chattanooga, and the like
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »

1960, perhaps.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »

Results of counties is the best approximation, although not everyone who lives in Cambridge-MA is a student or professor of Harvard or MIT.

It would be interesting if there were surveys inside the campus

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:22:45 PM »

Results of counties is the best approximation, although not everyone who lives in Cambridge-MA is a student or professor of Harvard or MIT.

It would be interesting if there were surveys inside the campus

Some campuses do (and I tend to trust those more than campus precinct results because most students vote at their parents' house and it's often a certain subset encouraged to register on campus).  I remember seeing a couple shared in 2016.  I think I posted one saying that LSU was something like Trump +15 with pretty significant Johnson support.  I can't remember if that included grad students or was just undergrads.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »

DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »

I'd say 1960. Nixon got 28.6% in Cambridge, MA and 60% in Amherst, MA in 1960; no Republican since has come close. In 1976, Ford got just 24.6% in Cambridge and 29.3% in Amherst.

Ford did well in Washtenaw Co, MI (U Mich) and Ingham Co, MI (Mich State U) but clearly Ford's home state vote was a factor; in 1960, Nixon got 61% in Washtenaw and 63% in Ingham--no Republican since has come close.

I have no doubt that in the South, university counties were more Republican than the average Southern county-- with Jefferson, AL; Hinds, MS; and Greenville, SC all voting GOP in both '60 and '76 (actually, Hinds went narrowly for the unpledged slate in '60).

A lot of the shift can be attributed to the reduction of the voting age from 21 to 18 by the 26th Amendment in 1971. For example, in Amherst around 60.5% of the population is 18-24 years old (a category that can roughly be described as "college-age" and would include most undergrad and grad students), and 36.2% of the town is 18-20 years old. The expansion of voting rights to this age bracket wouldn't explain all of the shift but is definitely a major factor in it.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »

What a surprise! I though Adlai Stevenson was a good fit for academics
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies