Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 09:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 58
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 92974 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 20, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »

Who wants to bet this is out of context?

I watched it, it's got a couple layers of context.  The question was about how he would change the culture of ICE, and the answer he gives is that he would fire ICE agents who detain people who haven't committed felonies.  Then he says that he doesn't consider drunk driving to be a felony (which it's currently not).

The context that's missing is that ICE agents have regularly been pulling over latinos on suspicion of drunk driving and then detaining them.  So if you're driving while brown, you gotta worry about an ICE agent deciding he wants to pull you over, saying "well he looked like he was DUI", and then detaining you to check your immigration status and potentially deport you.  Biden wants to end that.

Biden's first wife and children were murdered by a drunk driver.  I certainly hope this out-of-context quote doesn't go beyond a random account on Twitter.  That would be tasteless, even by Rose Twitter's low low standards.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #501 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:47 PM »

It's amazing how much misinformation and crap Bernie and his campaign have gotten away with and how the media is constantly on Biden's case by contrast.  Really hate Trump and really want Biden to win, but if Bernie is the nominee I will write in "Rachel Maddow" on the POTUS ballot.  He's just that awful now. 
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2020, 12:50:38 AM »

Biden attacks video game designers, implies video games "teach you how to kill people":

In an interview with the New York Times, the presidential hopeful called game developers he met with during his time at the White House “creeps,” “righteous,” and “arrogant,” referring to his personal experiences with high-ranking executives in Silicon Valley.

“And you may recall, the criticism I got for meeting with the leaders in Silicon Valley, when I was trying to work out an agreement dealing with them protecting intellectual property for artists in the United States of America,” said Biden. “And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——”

“Like video games,” offers the New York Times interviewer. Biden has previously called for certain legal restrictions to be imposed on violent games, suggesting in 2013 that there is no legal objective to imposing a tax on violent media. He has also stated that while no definitive proof exists linking violent games and media with acts of real violence, the public shouldn’t be afraid of “facts” which may come from research on the matter.

Is Biden really the type of person to be calling other people creeps?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2020, 03:13:42 AM »

Biden attacks video game designers, implies video games "teach you how to kill people":

In an interview with the New York Times, the presidential hopeful called game developers he met with during his time at the White House “creeps,” “righteous,” and “arrogant,” referring to his personal experiences with high-ranking executives in Silicon Valley.

“And you may recall, the criticism I got for meeting with the leaders in Silicon Valley, when I was trying to work out an agreement dealing with them protecting intellectual property for artists in the United States of America,” said Biden. “And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——”

“Like video games,” offers the New York Times interviewer. Biden has previously called for certain legal restrictions to be imposed on violent games, suggesting in 2013 that there is no legal objective to imposing a tax on violent media. He has also stated that while no definitive proof exists linking violent games and media with acts of real violence, the public shouldn’t be afraid of “facts” which may come from research on the matter.

Fake headline, fake article.  He called one specific guy a creep, because that guy bragged about making a game that taught kids how to kill people.

Do you disagree that that guy is a creep?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2020, 03:38:25 AM »

Fake headline, fake article.  He called one specific guy a creep, because that guy bragged about making a game that taught kids how to kill people.

Lots of video games teach you how to kill people.  That doesn't mean we should regulate them.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »

Lots of video games teach you how to kill people.  That doesn't mean we should regulate them.

I actually have no idea whether Biden wants to regulate them or not, it's not a policy I really have strong feelings about one way or another.

But this snippet that appears to explain Biden's policy is un-parseable, terrible writing:

“Like video games,” offers the New York Times interviewer. Biden has previously called for certain legal restrictions to be imposed on violent games, suggesting in 2013 that there is no legal objective to imposing a tax on violent media.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »

This worries me a bit. Being anti-violent video games and connecting it with shootings probably will lose more votes than it will gain. It isn't the ‘90s/early 2000s anymore after all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2020, 08:27:13 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

This worries me a bit. Being anti-violent video games and connecting it with shootings probably will lose more votes than it will gain. It isn't the ‘90s/early 2000s anymore after all.

I agree. This is such a stupid thing to say! It reinforces the notion of many Biden critics that he is not the right leader for the contemporary Democratic Party. He really seems to be ignoring how important younger voters are going to be in the general election, even if he doesn't need to win them for the primary. But even then, being so unashamedly out-of-touch isn't necessary to keep older voters in line. I'm sure this will be forgotten about soon enough anyway though.

Granted, it doesn't sound like he wants to regulate video games and at least wants to address gun violence still. That's in contrast to Trump who pins the blame of gun violence on video games and ignores the gun aspect of it. So as much as this statement from Biden really bothers me, for it to make anyone want to vote for Trump over Biden makes that hypothetical person in question completely mashugana.
Cinemark

« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:13 PM »

Oh lord, Sanders seems to have pissed off Biden.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

Joe is not playing nice with Bernie’s disingenuous, fraudulent ass. This ain’t 2016 Bros.
Roblox

« Reply #510 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »

^So your saying Biden didn't put entitlement cuts on the table when negotiating for the Obama administration, even though he very much did?

A candidates record doesn't become fake just because someone you dislike is noting it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #511 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:16 PM »

Oh lord, Sanders seems to have pissed off Biden.
Please put the Vermont Looney in his place! I don’t usually advocate division but Sanders will continue doing this unless Biden responds!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #512 on: January 22, 2020, 06:18:08 AM »

Man, why does Joe want people who have spent their whole lives paying into social security to die living under a bridge just so he can chum around with all the Republicans in Congress he loves so much?  These are tough questions!

bilaps
« Reply #513 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »

Biden on Morning Joe calls Mike Barnacle Joe like 3x in a minute.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #514 on: January 22, 2020, 10:08:43 AM »

Biden's team has clearly watched and learned from Clinton, Harris, and now Warren's mistakes in responding to Bernie's attack style. This is a very strong response that Sanders' team will face difficulty in countering.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #515 on: January 22, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »

Man, why does Joe want people who have spent their whole lives paying into social security to die living under a bridge just so he can chum around with all the Republicans in Congress he loves so much?  These are tough questions!

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #516 on: January 22, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »

This is such a bad faith attack on Biden. Even if he supported Social Security cuts in the past, he isn't going to now. The neoliberal era is over. Also, if Social Security is your issue, Warren has the most progressive plan, that expands benefits by $200 a month. This is a play for older voters and is a completely political attack.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #517 on: January 22, 2020, 03:12:25 PM »

Biden's idiot supporters arguing sincerely that he hasn't supported cuts to Social Security throughout his career has to be the most surreal thing I've ever witnessed in politics. This is a group of people genuinely more delusional than Trump supporters! It actually makes sense of how Trump is able to lie the way he does, to be quiet honest.

Lmao, Joe Biden has opposed Paul Ryan's calls for cutting social security during the Obama administration. And in the 1990s, he advocated for a temporary pay freeze. It's even ridiculous for bringing this up 25 years later. And if we do, we should also talk about the very fact, Saint Bernard has opposed the Brady Bill (which Joe Biden wrote and passed) and time and time voted against gun control measures.

Unlike a significant number of Sanders and Trump supporters, Biden supporters aren't cultists. Following a cult has never been healthy for the political climate. This is why their preferred candidate (Joe Biden) will get stuff done as president, where Bernie won't get much passed through congress. And Bernie Bros are delusional if they think rallies in Kentucky will make Moscow Mitch so afraid that he passes their agenda.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #518 on: January 22, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2020, 12:24:12 AM by YE »

Biden's idiot supporters arguing sincerely that he hasn't supported cuts to Social Security throughout his career has to be the most surreal thing I've ever witnessed in politics. This is a group of people genuinely more delusional than Trump supporters! It actually makes sense of how Trump is able to lie the way he does, to be quiet honest.

Lmao, Joe Biden has opposed Paul Ryan's calls for cutting social security during the Obama administration. And in the 1990s, he advocated for a temporary pay freeze. It's even ridiculous for bringing this up 25 years later. And if we do, we should also talk about the very fact, Saint Bernard has opposed the Brady Bill (which Joe Biden wrote and passed) and time and time voted against gun control measures.

Unlike a significant number of Sanders and Trump supporters, Biden supporters aren't cultists. Following a cult has never been healthy for the political climate. This is why their preferred candidate (Joe Biden) will get stuff done as president, where Bernie won't get much passed through congress. And Bernie Bros are delusional if they think rallies in Kentucky will make Moscow Mitch so afraid that he passes their agenda.

Post deleted by moderator

Only people who have no rational arguments are coming up with such answers that have little substance. Proves my point right.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »

This is such a bad faith attack on Biden. Even if he supported Social Security cuts in the past, he isn't going to now. The neoliberal era is over. Also, if Social Security is your issue, Warren has the most progressive plan, that expands benefits by $200 a month. This is a play for older voters and is a completely political attack.

Even if Biden wouldn't cut Social Security in the 2020s, it is another sign that he has poor judgement that he did seriously try to in the past, and shows he wouldn't stand up for progressive priorities as strongly as other contenders (in particular, Bernie).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

Biden is in trouble, Bernie is getting the benefit of the doubt in the Bloomberg ads without running ads himself. Bloomberg will end up having to endorse Bernie eventually,  if Bernie numbers hold up and Bernie winds up competetive against Biden, while Warren will have to drop out
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2020, 03:45:54 PM »

Even if Biden wouldn't cut Social Security in the 2020s, it is another sign that he has poor judgement that he did seriously try to in the past, and shows he wouldn't stand up for progressive priorities as strongly as other contenders (in particular, Bernie).

He didn't support it in the past.  He wanted to freeze spending in 1995 instead of the alternative, which was Republicans trying to cut it as part of the balanced budget amendment.

The quote Sanders is using to "prove" Biden wants to cut SS is literally Biden trying to save SS from being cut.

redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »

Lol @ Biden's meltdown on camera after a reporter pointed out his hypocrisy. Joe's a joke and everyone knows it. If any other candidate screamed and grabbed reporters like he does, they'd be humiliated out of the race.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:05 PM »

Anyway, I'm looking forward to voting for Hawkins in the general election should this decrepit sociopath be nominated.

An example of an over-the-top, ultra progressive nutjob from one of those cults.
Here, s/he even threatens to take his toys home with him, and vote for someone who has zero chance of winning. What a plan.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #524 on: January 22, 2020, 04:30:47 PM »

Way to turn to personal insults instead of arguing based on facts and policy. Sorry some people don’t like your candidate. ITdoesn’t make them an idiot. On that note, Have fun voting for Hawkins with your privileged a** while other people have to worry about losing their healthcare because your ego won’t allow you to stop Trump
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies