What constitutes a landslide victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:53:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What constitutes a landslide victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What constitutes a landslide victory?  (Read 57188 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« on: November 06, 2003, 04:52:40 PM »

I generally believe that the media misuses the word "landslide".  In presidential politics, the term is most often used to refer to an "Electoral Vote" landslide - such as Ronald Reagan in 1984 or Franklin Roosevelt in 1936 ("as goes Maine, so goes Vermont").  I personally set the bar for an Electoral Vote landslide to be 9:1 (> 90% of the EVs going to one candidate).  Of course, such a result is always concurrent with a much closer result in the popular vote (Reagan won the popular vote in 1984 with 59% to 41%, but won the electoral vote 98% to 2%).   I would classify the popular vote as a solid win, but the electoral vote as a landslide.

On the other hand, Clinton's victory in 1992, winning the popular vote 43% to 37% to 19% was a modest win and the electoral vote win of 69% to 31% as a solid win (or even a supermajority), but not a landslide.

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies