What constitutes a landslide victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What constitutes a landslide victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What constitutes a landslide victory?  (Read 57193 times)
Ryan
ryanmasc

« on: November 08, 2003, 12:14:20 PM »

To put in my bit I personally consider a landslide as >66% of the vote. (two-thirds majority)

However the term landslide is very often used simply when a winning candidate far outshines expectations.

Good luck with your paper

Ryan.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 09:50:05 AM »

To put in my bit I personally consider a landslide as >66% of the vote. (two-thirds majority)

You wanna know what a TRUE landslide victory is? It is when the candidate wins 100% of the vote (i.e. when the candidate runs unopposed.) SmileyWink

LOL yeah you could say that. Btw does anyone have a list of winners in 2002 who ran unopposed- completely unopposed or no opposing major party candidate. I had one but cant seem to find it.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »

And I'm certain that this kind of result would never take place during a Presidential election. That would be crazy.

On the >66% requirement for landslide, certainly thats too high for a Presidential election. What I was going for was some kind of Universal figure which would be accepted as a landslide anywhere. 66% which sounds good in the papers as a "stunning two-thirds Majority"
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 10:02:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, I won't argue with you that 66% would indeed be a landslide victory. However, how often does that ever happen? For a candidate to receive 66% of the vote is an extreme rarity. I couldn't  imagine something like that happening, unless it occurs in a small election such as a Congressional district or a Mayoral race, or something of that nature.  I couldn't even imagine a Governor or Senator winning that large of a majority, unless he or she were VERY popular
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually a >66% majority occurs very often these days in Senate races. This is of course due to popularity of the candidate but also because in some very uncompetitive states the other party often doesnt field a serious candidate.

Off the top of my head I can Indentify John Kerry, Robert Byrd, Jay rockerfeller on the dem side and Jon Kyl (91% I think) Thad Cochan and Jon Warner (GOP) who have crossed 66% and there are many more.

Till the 70's and actually after democrats in the South would be ashamed if they got any less than that (66%)

Governors do it too though not that often. Kenny Guinn (R-Nevada) did it in the last election.

and of course you are right at the congressional and local level 66% is all too common.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 08:00:05 AM »

what constitutes a landslide?

Call McGovern, Mondale and they can tell you all about it.

LOL are they still alive?? I know Mondale is; in fact he is still happily losing elections Cheesy
What about McGovern??
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies