What constitutes a landslide victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:09:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What constitutes a landslide victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What constitutes a landslide victory?  (Read 57190 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: November 16, 2003, 11:58:48 AM »

The definition of a landslide is pretty subjective, and there are several measures.

In a presidential election, I think that more than about 400 electoral votes constitutes a landslide, provided that it is accompanied by at least 55% of the popular vote.

If a candidate wins most states by a very narrow margin, that would be a broad geographical victory but not a landslide.  George Bush in 1988 won 40 states with 426 electoral votes, but got only 54% of the popular vote.  I would consider that a near-landslide, but not an actual landslide, because his share of the popular vote indicates a wide but relatively shallow victory, rather than a wide and deep victory, which is the definition of a landslide.

Bill Clinton received 370 and 379 electoral votes, respectively, in the 1992 and 1996 elections, but I don't consider his wins to be near-landslides because he never won a majority of the popular vote.  He won 43% and 49% of the popular vote in 1992 and 1996, respectively, and a minority winner cannot be considered a landslide or near-landslide winner in my opinion.

In a regular election, I would consider 60% of the vote as a landslide, since the winner would have received 150% of the votes that the loser received.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies