Why didn’t Putin’s past as a KGB agent destroy his post-USSR political career? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:31:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why didn’t Putin’s past as a KGB agent destroy his post-USSR political career? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why didn’t Putin’s past as a KGB agent destroy his post-USSR political career?  (Read 673 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: December 08, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »

Why don’t right-wing Russians view with him more suspicion?

Putin has been skillful managing the Russian nationalist feelings. I don't claim to be an expert in Russia, but I am certain that raising this question on purely ideological grounds is a wrong approach. You should better pay attention to sentimental elements involving Russian national pride and a long tradition of autocratic rulers, from Tsar Ivan the Terrible to Joseph Stalin (also known as Uncle Joe or the Father of All Russias). Vladimir Putin can be seen as another link in this chain of strong Russian leaders. My impression is that he has managed to synthesize an amalgamation of Russian nationalism that can be consumed either by a nostalgic for the communist era or by an unrepentant tsarist, not based on theoretical or ideological grounds but on sentimentalism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies