Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:12:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the Uk election between Johnson/Corbyn a good barometer for Trump vs Sanders?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Author Topic: Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders?  (Read 3718 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« on: December 08, 2019, 10:43:34 PM »

I think people are underestimating their similarity. Insofar as there is a question of whether or not a hard left winger a la Sanders or Corbyn can both hold suburban/wealthy voters (the type who voted Dem in the 2018 midterns/against Brexit) or possess some sort of special strength with working class voters (Rust Belt WWC/Northern Red wall), it does seem likely to be a pretty good test, and I'm interested to see how it goes. Certainly, I think it's looking a lot thus far like they underperform with both your NJ-07/City-of-London-Westminister voter and with your average Monroe/Wrexham voter, which isn't a good omen for their chances.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:46:31 AM »

I think people are underestimating their similarity. Insofar as there is a question of whether or not a hard left winger a la Sanders or Corbyn can both hold suburban/wealthy voters (the type who voted Dem in the 2018 midterns/against Brexit) or possess some sort of special strength with working class voters (Rust Belt WWC/Northern Red wall), it does seem likely to be a pretty good test, and I'm interested to see how it goes. Certainly, I think it's looking a lot thus far like they underperform with both your NJ-07/City-of-London-Westminister voter and with your average Monroe/Wrexham voter, which isn't a good omen for their chances.

In 2017, there were huge swings to the left in many of those suburban seats. Maybe not due to Corbyn, but he wasn't a big liability there. And I bet in most of these types of constituencies, the 2019 result will be better for Labour than the 2015 result before Corbyn was leader (even if there is a swing away from Labour compared to 2017, when Corbyn was also leader). So by this logic, Bernie will do better than Hillary Clinton in the suburbs, and it's just a question of the degree of the overperformance.

Comparing 2015 Britain is like 2012 Mitt Romney. The better analogy is Brexit - Trump, 2017 - 2018, and 2019 - 2020. I'm interested to see how it'll go.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

Nobody could ever accuse Bernie Sanders of antisemitism.

He's not even really Jewish, he's an atheist.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »

Nobody could ever accuse Bernie Sanders of antisemitism.

He's not even really Jewish, he's an atheist.
So was David Ben-Gurion.

David Ben-Gurion didn't hang out with Linda Sarsour.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »

No. Stop trying to force American Politics into everything.

This, I've had this discussion with people outside of atlas as well.

TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. Is this type of American-centric attitude that makes so many people have a natural dislike for the country.

I also 100% agree with Barron, Boris (and most Tories aside from the obvious: Mogg, Gove, Cornerstone group) would be a Democrat in the US no question about it. Find me a Kasich Republican who supports expanding public services, or who would preserve any system resembling the NHS, Boris may be hurting the NHS, but a "Kasich Republican's" ideals would see it torn to dust.

LOL. Kasich expanded public services, have you already forgotten he basically expanded medicaid ?

Did....did you just compare Medicaid to the NHS?

Not me, but it's a good analogy. They hold a similar place politically (much as I'd like to abolish the second one and cut the first one).
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »

No. Stop trying to force American Politics into everything.

This, I've had this discussion with people outside of atlas as well.

TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. Is this type of American-centric attitude that makes so many people have a natural dislike for the country.

I also 100% agree with Barron, Boris (and most Tories aside from the obvious: Mogg, Gove, Cornerstone group) would be a Democrat in the US no question about it. Find me a Kasich Republican who supports expanding public services, or who would preserve any system resembling the NHS, Boris may be hurting the NHS, but a "Kasich Republican's" ideals would see it torn to dust.

LOL. Kasich expanded public services, have you already forgotten he basically expanded medicaid ?

Did....did you just compare Medicaid to the NHS?

Not me, but it's a good analogy. They hold a similar place politically (much as I'd like to abolish the second one and cut the first one).
'

The place they hold politically is
A. Still Different, considering that even Tories shiver to call for its abolition whereas Republicans like to talk about "reforming" Medicaid to a nonexistent point daily
B. Irrelevant to the fact that the two systems only share a similarity in that they are healthcare related, they are vastly different

A. That's a good point, but it also compounds the liberalness of Kasich in expanding it. (On a personal note, Kasich really pulled a RINO on that one, I liked him before that).

B. We're talking about politics here though, not policy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies