What is your opinion of Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:45:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What is your opinion of Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: What is your opinion of Christianity?  (Read 8364 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »

What John is suggesting is a pretty common sociology/religious studies view of how religions form. As he says, whether it's inherently a bad thing or not is obviously going to depend on the religious preconceptions of the person assessing the concept, but suggesting that it's the case isn't necessarily a euphoric edgelord thing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »

It's too soon to tell.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »

Is around 1970 years of existence Not enough time for you?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 07:27:57 PM »

Is around 1970 years of existence Not enough time for you?

Quote from: Kurt Vonnegut, "The Sirens of Titan"
In the year Ten Million, according to Koradubian, there would be a tremendous house-cleaning. All records relating to the period between the death of Christ and the year One Million A.D. would be hauled to the dumps and burned. This would be done, said Koradubian, because museums and archives would be crowding the living right off the Earth. The million-year period to which the burned junk related would be summed up in history books in one sentence, according to Koradubian: Following the death of Jesus Christ, there was a period of readjustment that lasted for approximately one million years.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2020, 03:29:38 PM »

Depends on what you mean by the term.

More specifically: I have a much higher opinion of Jesus of Nazareth
than I do of the thousands-year old human institution(s) of Christianity, in all of their manifestations.

But then again, as a Christian, I would and should say that. Smiley
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 06:20:13 PM »

Not a great fan of organized religions, but Christianity seems to be one of the best ones out there (or the least evil depending on your point of view).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

What John is suggesting is a pretty common sociology/religious studies view of how religions form. As he says, whether it's inherently a bad thing or not is obviously going to depend on the religious preconceptions of the person assessing the concept, but suggesting that it's the case isn't necessarily a euphoric edgelord thing.

Sure that's not necessarily wrong. The edgelordy part is jumping between the academic definition of cult and the popular pejorative one.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »

Sure that's not necessarily wrong. The edgelordy part is jumping between the academic definition of cult and the popular pejorative one.

Yeah, no argument there.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2020, 02:16:46 PM »

Outdated, bigoted, and a threat to humanity
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »

Church is a place to socialize and for a place for worship. That's why they have multiethnic churches and monolithic churches. Joel Osteen is a televangelist that's not partisan and for people that dont go the church often, they can look at him
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

I've never understood the 'edgelord' meme about atheists, probably because I don't actually know any religious people IRL. If I'd wanted to be edgy in secular California, I would've become an Evangelical.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »

I've never understood the 'edgelord' meme about atheists, probably because I don't actually know any religious people IRL. If I'd wanted to be edgy in secular California, I would've become an Evangelical.

That's rather remarkable consider you go to a town with almost as many churches per block as a typical Olde Southerne Town. The only differences is that those churches can vary from Catholic to Jewish Temples/Synagogues, from Buddhist Temples to Quaker Meetinghouses, to say nothing of the Temple Hill area over in Oakland.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2020, 07:58:56 PM by S**tposting is a Human Right »

That's rather remarkable consider you go to a town with almost as many churches per block as a typical Olde Southerne Town. The only differences is that those churches can vary from Catholic to Jewish Temples/Synagogues, from Buddhist Temples to Quaker Meetinghouses, to say nothing of the Temple Hill area over in Oakland.

There are certainly religious people in the Bay Area, but I wouldn't say that I *know* any religious people; I'm just vaguely aware of their existence. My dad went to Catholic school and that turned him into an atheist at a young age. My mom was raised religious but was already an atheist by the time I was born. None of my friends are religious, and none of their parents are religious either. The only religious person in my extended family is a Christian Scientist whose abhorrent beliefs and evangelical attitude have alienated her from everyone else. My godfather, my cousins, even my grandparents-- all atheists. My girlfriend is an atheist. My teachers (as far as I know) have all been atheists. I had one friend in high school (briefly) who was a true-believing protestant, but he also believed in Alex Jones conspiracy theories and thought the Earth was flat, so I stopped spending time with him. My hippie aunt might believe in Buddhism or some crap like that, but I don't take her seriously at all due to her views on zodiac signs.

So while there are definitely religious people around me (hell, one of them handed me a pamphlet today on the street), I wouldn't say I know any religious people personally. And the "spiritual" or "religious" people with whom I've interacted on a regular basis have invariably also been borderline psychotic, mentally unstable conspiracy theorists. Hence why I don't see atheism as "edgy" in any way whatsoever. The more I hear people talk about religion, the more I come to understand that atheism is actually the default mindset of humanity. And regardless of how many religious institutions you can name in California, it's definitely the default mindset here as well.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 12:46:48 AM »

There are certainly religious people in the Bay Area, but I wouldn't say that I *know* any religious people;

Am I a joke to you?!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 06:39:18 AM »

Scott Alexander made an interesting point about this. He noted that he didn't know a single Young Earth Creationist, but given how YECism polled in his state, the odds of him not knowing a single creationist by random chance was something like one in a trillion. He concluded that he had created an extremely strong social bubble entirely by accident.

Dule appears to have done something similar.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »

Throughout history, some good things and some bad things happened in the name Christianity. Some denominations and churches are better than others. And some Christians are good people, while others are not.

Compared to the relative fluidity, flexibility, and ambiguity of many of the "philosophizing" Asian religions I believe I find the concept of monotheism a bit silly in general. Comes across as hubris to claim certain knowledge of the existence and precise nature of God.

Then again, I did attend some church servives out of curiosity and found the general atmosphere and sense of community very pleasing, so it has that going for it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2020, 11:00:15 AM by S**tposting is a Human Right »

Scott Alexander made an interesting point about this. He noted that he didn't know a single Young Earth Creationist, but given how YECism polled in his state, the odds of him not knowing a single creationist by random chance was something like one in a trillion. He concluded that he had created an extremely strong social bubble entirely by accident.

Dule appears to have done something similar.

You have very obviously never been to Marin County if you think it takes a "strong social bubble" to avoid Young Earth Creationists here. A healthy majority of the county identifies with 'no religion,' and those who do are generally non-practicing. However, I should note that it's entirely reasonable to avoid YECs socially, and that even if I had the option of interacting with them, I would choose not to.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 12:35:37 PM »

Whoosh
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »

You said "given how well it polled in his state." Creationism-- and religion in general-- polls horribly where I live. They're two very different samples.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

Jesus: A+, kicks fascist ass, beat principal in student election and was actually inaugurated, son of God

Christianity: B-, likes to trip itself with its own foot before inserting it in mouth, good-natured but dysfunctional family

Pharisees: F for "fake news"
Scott the Aussie
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »

Christianity is false.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »

Of course, it depends on your definition of "Christianity". There is no one agreed upon definition.

However, with all due respect to his version of Christianity, I don't agree with Franklin Graham's:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2019/10/17/franklin-graham-atheist-ron-reagan-better-be-afraid-of-burning-in-hell/

After all, we have enough hellfire in the here and now.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »

Christianity is the one true religion in my mind.
Christians, on the other hand, vary and can sometimes be completely idiotic jerks.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »

The same as my opinion of all cults: An abusive indoctrination system that has wasted innumerable human lives with its insular delusions and anti-individualism. There were thousands of obscure desert cults in the ancient world, and the fact that this one happened to survive is the only reason why today we treat it any differently from Zeus or the moon goddess Nanna. It is a self-sustaining brainwashing organization that survives by emotionally abusing young people, making them feel as though they only have value as part of a greater community, and transforming them into unthinking, unquestioning followers of doctrine and scripture. The moment that we as a species banish it from our moral philosophy, our lives will be incomparably improved.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »

Best Religion!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies