Has Twitter hurt political discourse by mainstreaming fringe ideologies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Has Twitter hurt political discourse by mainstreaming fringe ideologies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Has Twitter hurt political discourse by mainstreaming fringe ideologies?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Has Twitter hurt political discourse by mainstreaming fringe ideologies?  (Read 583 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »

Basically Twitter has made it so that one platform is used by everyone for political discourse. While this has a lot of advantages, one that's caused some really negative impacts is how it's brought some pretty fringe and marginalized...and for good reason ideologies into mainstream discourse. Like tankies, Nazis and the alt-right, TERFs, MRAs, the most extreme fringe of intersectionalists and wokeness, conspiracy theorists of all stripes, etc. Previously these people would just stick together in their own little corners of the Internet away from everyone else and be separated from the discourse. Now they play a role in it and these have become way more mainstream than they have any business being.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »

Yes absolutely, not just by recruiting acolytes but also by tricking one side into thinking those are representative of the other side.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »

Of course. In a way, it's good that marginalized voices have a platform to share their perspectives and political goals, but the folks who tarnish the good cause of these people by insulting, "cancelling", and putting a purity test in the way of advancing leftism are the ones to blame for the revolt against "PC culture"

And who gives a sh*t what the online right thinks, just in general
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »

Twitter gives a megaphone to people of all stripes who are bored and uninformed. It's been a toxic cesspool for years.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:42:57 AM »

If it wasn't Twitter, it'd be YouTube. Personally I like learning about Posadism.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 03:39:50 AM »

The platform encourages the simplification of information and discourse into 140 character hot takes and indeed has contributed to the increasing toxicity of modern politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »

So lemme get this straight... y’all use Twitter for politics instead of, y’know, social media?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

So lemme get this straight... y’all use Twitter for politics instead of, y’know, social media?

You're implying that we have friends to socialize with in the first place.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »

Yes, but this includes both Twitter and Facebook.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »

Absolutely, I've thought about this a lot lately. In 2016 Clinton was hurt by things that were completely outside her control. I think a lot of the support from Trump came from anger at "PC culture" and white male bashing on social media that she herself had nothing to do with. She was the candidate from America's "center-left" party so she was the one it got taken out on. In the past you had newspapers and magazines to gatekeep information and make sure only well informed opinions were spread, and also to filter out hateful ideas. Now anyone can post something on the internet that can be read by virtually anyone in the world. It's impossible for political movements to control their messages. I really don't know what there is to be done about this other than maybe people learning that blurting out dumb sh*t on social media hurts your own cause and helps the opposition a lot of the time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »

Yes? Why would I be interested in the random thoughts of my friends, and why would they be interested in mine?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 02:07:46 AM »

Yes? Why would I be interested in the random thoughts of my friends, and why would they be interested in mine?
Yeah I almost never use Twitter for interacting with real life friends, that's what Snapchat, Instagram, and (if I was over 40) Facebook are for. I don't even know most of my friends twitter handles.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 02:45:30 AM »

maybe, but it's not hurt it as much as people thinking Twitter is a place where mainstream political discourse happens
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies