UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread
« previous next »
Thread note
Any attempt at thread derailing will result in banishment. (Edit: damn, you guys really behaved yourselves)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 39
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 73711 times)
Colbert
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:09 AM »

Scotland under English rule : january 30th 1649 - december 12th 2019

another victory for the Principle of Nationalities.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #676 on: December 13, 2019, 02:35:19 AM »

Awful result for Labour. But hopefully this means Brexit finally happens. I was against it, but a referendum is a referendum. They just need to get it over with and maybe rejoin later if the situation changes. Just rip off the bandaid for once.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #677 on: December 13, 2019, 02:36:17 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2019, 12:12:43 PM by DistingFlyer »

Nobody can complain about the polls this time around - they led pretty much exactly to the right spots:

It's also one of those very rare occasions when a party extended its lead over the campaign instead of shrinking it.

(There are two constituencies still left to report - will update this chart if necessary when they come in.)

Here's an updated swing-vs.-gains chart; somewhat to my surprise, given all the talk about anti-Tory tactical voting, the Conservatives overperformed relative to the swing to a greater degree than they ever have - it's not 1992-level, but it's close:

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #678 on: December 13, 2019, 02:51:11 AM »

Whatever the many, many failings of the Labour Party in its present form, we can be absolutely sure that won't be the general reaction from it.

Of course, and this can't be pointed out enough, Labour fairly clearly didn't lose many votes directly to the Tories. The polling looks to have been correct: instead, they suffered serious bleeding to abstentions and to small/minor parties. The electoral system did the rest.

Plus those results in Kensington and the Cities of London and Westminster kinda defy the idea that the British Tories have become a "Trumpist" party.  It's still a lot more "respectable" to be a Tory in London than a Republican in Manhattan.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #679 on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »

The Conservative vote in Wales rose to 36.1% - its highest level since 1895.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #680 on: December 13, 2019, 02:58:11 AM »

Cymru am byth!
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #681 on: December 13, 2019, 03:07:06 AM »

Cymru am byth!

In contrast, Labour's 18.6% of the vote in Scotland was the lowest since 1910.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #682 on: December 13, 2019, 03:09:49 AM »

Is Edinburgh South a wealthy urban seat? Labour's kept it since 1987 but before then it seems to have been quite Unionist/Conservative.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2019, 03:27:19 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2019, 03:32:42 AM by DistingFlyer »

Although the seat totals have gone up and down over the years, this is now the sixth consecutive election that has seen the Tories' share of the vote increase:

1997 - 31.5%
2001 - 32.7%
2005 - 33.2%
2010 - 37.0%
2015 - 37.8%
2017 - 43.5%
2019 - 44.7%

Not sure if that's ever been done before by a major party (though Labour came close with five consecutive increases from 1910 to 1929).

Additionally, while Mr. Corbyn has liked to boast about the 2017 election seeing the biggest jump in the Labour vote since 1945 (which was true - 9.6% vs 10%), he may be less inclined to advertise that the election yesterday saw the biggest drop in the Labour vote since 1983 (8% vs 9.5%).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2019, 04:04:51 AM »

Glad to hear that we don't need to worry about Polish Plumbers any longer....

Definitely an amazing day for small mfg with $$$ that look at a scenario (Especially in the North of England) where the MNCs are shifting the factories elsewhere where they poured money and support into a "protectionist" economic platform and tried to pretend that everything while all was all right, while they loot the work of labor, maximize profits for the greedy bastards at the top, then next thing you know pretend "it's not my fault"....

Amazing that Trump Jr did so well in the UK.... hopefully Ireland, Scotland, and Wales will finally say goodbye to English Colonial Rule and leave the pale pasty vanilla English arse exposed for what it actually is.

Russia has won... Game, Set, and Match...

The Czar controls the peasants.... enemies eliminated in America and the UK... Armies march forward in the Ukranian front...

They own it, they won it, and I will bow down subserviently to serve the New World Order of 2020....
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #685 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:48 AM »

Remember, Wales voted out in 2016.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #686 on: December 13, 2019, 05:09:31 AM »

Glad to hear that we don't need to worry about Polish Plumbers any longer....

Definitely an amazing day for small mfg with $$$ that look at a scenario (Especially in the North of England) where the MNCs are shifting the factories elsewhere where they poured money and support into a "protectionist" economic platform and tried to pretend that everything while all was all right, while they loot the work of labor, maximize profits for the greedy bastards at the top, then next thing you know pretend "it's not my fault"....

Amazing that Trump Jr did so well in the UK.... hopefully Ireland, Scotland, and Wales will finally say goodbye to English Colonial Rule and leave the pale pasty vanilla English arse exposed for what it actually is.

The Czar controls the peasants.... enemies eliminated in America and the UK... Armies march forward in the Ukranian front...

They own it, they won it, and I will bow down subserviently to serve the New World Order of 2020....

Yeah, it was the Russians.

bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #687 on: December 13, 2019, 05:17:09 AM »

Are you sure that Russia has interests in just one major party instead of both of them?
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #688 on: December 13, 2019, 06:04:19 AM »

Russian here. We would prefer Corbyn as more dovish and anti-imperialist candidate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #689 on: December 13, 2019, 06:13:52 AM »

Indulgent Post.

I knocked on about 300 Labour Doors at this election; and helped with a Labour campaign for 5 weeks.

10-20% of previously labour voters said in a safe Labour seat said they weren't voting Labour because of Corbyn.

Over 100 odd emails saying they would vote for our candidate but not Corbyn because of Brexit, anti-semitism, nationalisation etc etc. I know that this was widespread in nearly every other CLP; and I can only image it was more widespread in the North and Midlands.

There is spin from JC team that it's about Brexit and Keir Starmer is to blame; sure Brexit was the vehicle that crashed through the wall, but the wall was mouldy, weak and crumbling because of a whole host of reasons.

A manifesto that was not costed, a perception we were at best willing to ignore antisemitism (and at worst that we were institutionally antisemitic) and a leader who people did not want as Prime Minister.

We all knew that Corbyn was perceived as an awful leader; especially in our leave seats. This is a huge historic loss for the Labour Party, and the narrow minded sect which has lead our party since 2015, and which has controlled the machine since 2018 is responsible.

Their manifesto, their leader, their strategy. Their loss.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #690 on: December 13, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »

Russian here. We would prefer Corbyn as more dovish and anti-imperialist candidate.

This.
It was a win-win situation in the UK with these two uniquely awful candidates.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #691 on: December 13, 2019, 06:17:03 AM »

The liberal democrats have really hurt Labour in this election.

Serious questions need to asked to why they carried on standing candidates

At the count in Kensington, the voters were horrified (pro-remain) that they have a die-hard leaver representing them because the liberal democrats refused to stand down.

In High Peak, the liberal democrat was sarcastically clapped for letting the Tory in. Even in Blyth Valley (first Tory gain) the Green party were put in the awkward position of trying to explain what the benefit is of splitting the left vote for the tory to win?  

Its totally pointless for the Green Party and Liberal democrats to say that the political system is rotten or broken. You know the rules before the election and if you have zero chance of running and its a swing district then questions need to be asked why are you running in the first place?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #692 on: December 13, 2019, 06:30:49 AM »

At the count in Kensington, the voters were horrified (pro-remain) that they have a die-hard leaver representing them because the liberal democrats refused to stand down.

In High Peak, the liberal democrat was sarcastically clapped for letting the Tory in. Even in Blyth Valley (first Tory gain) the Green party were put in the awkward position of trying to explain what the benefit is of splitting the left vote for the tory to win?  

Its totally pointless for the Green Party and Liberal democrats to say that the political system is rotten or broken. You know the rules before the election and if you have zero chance of running and its a swing district then questions need to be asked why are you running in the first place?

There aren't any 'voters' at a count in an election-it's only approved party members allowed in who are not at all representative of anything.

They stood because for a lot of people they did not want to vote Labour. They're a political party that is over 100 years old, and people deserve the right to vote Liberal Democrat in Tory-Marginals, in the same way people deserve a right to vote Labour in Lib Dem-Tory Marginals.

We don't have swing districts in the UK either.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #693 on: December 13, 2019, 06:31:35 AM »

if Labour didn't want to have vote splits, it should have approached the Lib-Dems for a pact. But such an action was beyond the pale, especially after defectors hopped over to the Orange side. A lot of people went on BBC and talked about Labour's ambivalence on these issues. The campaign was unaccountably proud, especially in their candidate selection.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #694 on: December 13, 2019, 06:34:48 AM »

Labour candidates do not have a God given right to expect Lib Dem candidates to stand down in their favour and vice versa. The parties fought the election on different platforms and there is little evidence to suggest, especially in the case of Labour-Tory contests, that all of the votes from the third places party would have transferred directly to help the second placed party win. The admittedly unreliable constituency polling done before the election showed large numbers of Lib Dem voters preferred the Tories to Labour, and would have voted in sufficient numbers for the former in a straight fight that them to have won.

The idea that will inevitably be trotted out by sore Labour supporters that the election was really won by the ‘progressive alliance’ is, to be blunt, a load of old bollocks. Generally speaking there was little love lost between Labour and the Liberal Democrats (this is not 1997) who ran with very different policies on leaving the EU and on the budget, taxation and other economic issues. The same is true for Labour, the Lib Dems and the SNP (see the SNP reaction to turfing out Swinson!), the latter of whom are on the opposite side to the former two of that central issue in Scottish politics, independence. There is little reason to believe that if every non-Labour and non-Tory candidate had stood down in the election that it would’ve resulted in a Labour victory. This is an excuse deployed by Labour partisans to distract from their party’s general unpopularity and their failure to build a durable, national coalition of support.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #695 on: December 13, 2019, 06:39:07 AM »

That was an awful result in every way: I thought it was possible, even likely, the Tories could win a substantial majority but nothing like as large.

I find myself, however, having skipped the first four stages of grief and heading straight to acceptance. They voted for it and that's democracy. They just shouldn't expect sympathy from me when it all goes wrong but then again, I doubt they do.

It does mean I'm not going to really follow this farce anymore though, so I doubt you'll be seeing me on the UK threads again any time soon, save for maybe a quick snide comment when Richard Burgon inevitably beats Keir Starmer for the leadership (when Corbyn finally resigns that is; like, for f!cks sake, how has he not yet) and the Labour membership proves they are as incapable of learning as I have always thought.

Thanks for the conversation over the last few weeks everyone. It's been fun.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #696 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »

That was an awful result in every way: I thought it was possible, even likely, the Tories could win a substantial majority but nothing like as large.

I find myself, however, having skipped the first four stages of grief and heading straight to acceptance. They voted for it and that's democracy. They just shouldn't expect sympathy from me when it all goes wrong but then again, I doubt they do.

It does mean I'm not going to really follow this farce anymore though, so I doubt you'll be seeing me on the UK threads again any time soon, save for maybe a quick snide comment when Richard Burgon inevitably beats Keir Starmer for the leadership (when Corbyn finally resigns that is; like, for f!cks sake, how has he not yet) and the Labour membership proves they are as incapable of learning as I have always thought.

Thanks for the conversation over the last few weeks everyone. It's been fun.

Like in America - needing to nominate somone like Amy Klobuchar (from the midwest heartland) labour needs to do the same.

So candidates like Lisa Nandy, Yvette Cooper, Jon Trickett need to be considered. They simple cant nominate a candidate from London because it's going to be a train-wreck with the north. A london mp is no guarantee that these voters in the north will comeback.

The next leader also needs to work out how they build a coalition and everyone in the labour party needs to decide are you with us or not. The lack of discipline across the party and constant attacks from neo-liberals has to stop.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #697 on: December 13, 2019, 06:58:57 AM »

St Ives count had to be suspended due to bad weather.  But it seems that CON will gain some vote share here and win the seat.  So in the end CON should end up with 365 seats overall.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #698 on: December 13, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »

We're not in America. Stop comparing this to the democrats.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #699 on: December 13, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »

Has this been posted?

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies