UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:32:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread (search mode)
Thread note
Any attempt at thread derailing will result in banishment. (Edit: damn, you guys really behaved yourselves)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election 2019 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 74524 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« on: December 12, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

I voted about 9.30 this morning. Polling station was pretty barren but I wouldn't read anything in a mainly empty polling station at 9.30 in the morning in a safe seat.

I couldn't predict the result if I'm honest - we could heading for a substantial Tory majority like the polls say or we could be heading for another 2017. I don't think I'll even bother guessing which of the two it is.

Hopefully the Lib Dems do better than expected. That's all I say for now.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »

I voted first thing this morning in Esher & Walton. My impression over the next two hours was that in the deep blue Tory party of E&W that I live in there were a genuinely surprising number of Con>LD switchers. Even the Tory teller at the polling station could only muster a halfhearted sense of determination.

The million quid question... do you think they've done it?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »

The dream is alive, boys

That has 'expectations management' written all over it
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »

Let's get this rubbish over with then
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »

F!ck
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »

If there's one tiny morsel I can take from this, its that Corbyn is doubtless finished and his entire way of thinking might be in trouble, which is something I didn't think possible.

Swinson is obviously curtains if the SNP really are at 55 but if the Lib Dems really do make such small gains she'd be done as leader anyway so losing her seat woudn't change much.

Let's see what happens but hoping for an innacurate exit poll is not known as winning strategy.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »

Jesus, never thought I'd feel so bad about Labour badly losing. Crushing stuff.

The Lib Dem performance will determine whether this is a very bad or disastrous night for me.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »

Ruth Davidson on ITV seems convinced its mainly Labour that have collapsed to the SNP and that the Tories and Lib Dems have done okay. Take with a grain of salt but let's see.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 06:39:07 AM »

That was an awful result in every way: I thought it was possible, even likely, the Tories could win a substantial majority but nothing like as large.

I find myself, however, having skipped the first four stages of grief and heading straight to acceptance. They voted for it and that's democracy. They just shouldn't expect sympathy from me when it all goes wrong but then again, I doubt they do.

It does mean I'm not going to really follow this farce anymore though, so I doubt you'll be seeing me on the UK threads again any time soon, save for maybe a quick snide comment when Richard Burgon inevitably beats Keir Starmer for the leadership (when Corbyn finally resigns that is; like, for f!cks sake, how has he not yet) and the Labour membership proves they are as incapable of learning as I have always thought.

Thanks for the conversation over the last few weeks everyone. It's been fun.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies