Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:09:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche  (Read 3232 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 06:27:55 AM »

If conservatives are backing somebody because they piss the other side off and not because of their policies then I’m not sure you should be voting.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »

And here come a class act to cheer on Greta....

Michelle Obama

@MichelleObama
@GretaThunberg, don’t let anyone dim your light. Like the girls I’ve met in Vietnam and all over the world, you have so much to offer us all. Ignore the doubters and know that millions of people are cheering you on.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »

The more I think about what Trump did here in trying to belittle and bully a 16 yr old girl activist, the more my stomach turns.

This low-life POS is our President. He's such a small man he can't even keep his scummy opinion to himself for once.

This guy keeps going lower and lower, debasing himself and showing how truly unfit he is for any position other than....I can't think of anything he's fit to do except sit in a prison cell and rot.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »

Is it bad form to say while Trump's being weird, Greta by virtue of being a public figure Greta sort of invites criticism?
Not bad form but that argument is silly. Just because your a public figure doesn’t mean the president has a right to personality attack you unprovoked
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »

Is it bad form to say while Trump's being weird, Greta by virtue of being a public figure Greta sort of invites criticism?

Why yes, it is. Because both "she was asking for it" and trying to normalize Donald Trump's deplorable insults as "criticism" ought to be beneath any worthwhile human being.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 01:35:08 PM »

Not bad form but that argument is silly. Just because your a public figure doesn’t mean the president has a right to personality attack you unprovoked

This argues the President has no right to launch an attack. I mean yeah I wish Trump would knock it off but here's the thing about Greta Thunberg unlike Barron Trump: she has made numerous political and public statements incorporating herself into the public sphere. It sounds odd to say that she can attack leading political figures and make political statements but she's not open to attack?

I think one problem with Trump's attacks is that he doesn't even attack her on her political stances. It' just his plan old bullying without any substantive basis. That alone would be bad, doing it with a minor only makes it worse.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

This argues the President has no right to launch an attack.
He absolutely has a RIGHT to attack her. What he doesn't have is a right to attack her without the public turning around and calling him a piece of s__t for doing so.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »

Don't ask why I'm posting this.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

She doesn't do anything to harm people. She is a crusader for saving the environment, (the environment that Trump is trying to ruin.)

What is there to criticize? Why not just stuff it if she's not hurting people? Her generation is worried by the destruction she sees happening and are speaking out about it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 07:54:29 PM »

This argues the President has no right to launch an attack. I mean yeah I wish Trump would knock it off but here's the thing about Greta Thunberg unlike Barron Trump: she has made numerous political and public statements incorporating herself into the public sphere. It sounds odd to say that she can attack leading political figures and make political statements but she's not open to attack?

I think the best statement here remains "don't attack children but don't let children become political and public figures." In a sense if you enter public debate you shouldn't be really there if you're a child since we agree children shouldn't be attacked. But then again we should agree children shouldn't be in the political and public sphere. (by which I mean current issues etc)

It's a stupid standard. Greta Thunberg shouldn't be attacked but she shouldn't be a major figure anyway. (I blame the Left per usual for elevating a child to the level of political sainthood over this without thinking it through because whenever has the Left ever thought things out when idolizing people?).

Look at it this way, the older adults aren't doing enough to help the environment and don't have the sense of urgency that the younger folks have. She is very passionate about the subject and is following what she feels she has to do. And nobody can stop her.

Who would want to attack her for trying to raise awareness for building a clean environment for future generations? How does what she's doing try to hurt people?

I say, back off. When she pulls a gun, or tries to do something illegal, then go get her. But let her talk. Give her a voice and she will give you one. She wants to get a conversation going about something we should all be interested in because the environment affects everybody.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »

OK so the lefty response is "HOW DARE PEOPLE CRITICIZE GRETA, SHE WHO IS SAVING US. WE ARE UNWORTHY" Not a response, people.

That's not my point. My point is, if she's a child speaking out and engaging the political process, explain to me why it's somehow necessary to not respond to her criticisms.  I can agree the President went over the line (as he is wont to do, because he's an idiot). But I'm going to also point out that if you engage the political system like this, you're going to get criticized. And the Left seems to be saying here "no, you can't criticize a child!"

Which, I agree with!

But in the first place, if you are going to put children into the political process, it feels ever so weird to say they can make political statements and yet not be fully participants in the sense they debate and engage and deal with criticisms.

Criticize her policies but not her as a person. She is not hurting people. She is offering a message. That's what to criticize. Trump belittled her as a person and that is slimy low-life behavior, what he is known for doing. That is wrong.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »

She doesn't do anything to harm people. She is a crusader for saving the environment, (the environment that Trump is trying to ruin.)

What is there to criticize? Why not just stuff it if she's not hurting people? Her generation is worried by the destruction she sees happening and are speaking out about it.

She's trying to rob me and take my money.
indietraveler

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »

#bebest

oh, wait....
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2019, 05:02:17 AM »

LOL! Money only has value to humans on planets if the planets can sustain human life.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »

By that token, Baron Trump is a public figure too.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »

What, Greta Thunberg personally? You should better call the cops then.

Or do you mean that you're concerned that Greta Thunberg's activities may influence elected officials in your country to implement more far-reaching climate protection measures? Well, generally speaking authoritarian regimes and dictatorships tend to do less against climate change than democracies. But your country happens to have free elections. SUCKS, doesn' it?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »

Didn't his wife just say to leave children out of politics?

Making a play on words about a name is totally the same as this /s
Yes coz Barron Trump is as politically involved as Greta. Greta can be attacked because she chose to get involved. I don't really care about the Barron trump name coz its really not about him but  children who stay apolitical should not be attacked but those who want to be the face of a movement should be allowed to be attacked.

I would like to mention that Trump's attack is just childish however and not acceptable but I hate this idea how Greta can't be criticized at all because she's a child.

The highlighted portion is basically my position on this.

When I was Greta's age, I was politically active.  I was volunteering on Democratic campaigns (which involved vandalizing the opposition's campaign billboards and engaging in underage drinking with adult activists, lol) and marching in pro-impeachment demonstrations.  (This was 1973, and the activists marching used their other side of the "Out Now!" antiwar Vietnam War signs as their "Honk for Impeachment" signs.)  So I was politically active.  I don't see that as a bad thing for 16 year olds. 

When you're "Person Of The Year" of TIME Magazine, you are a public figure in ways that Barron Trump isn't.  That people don't get this is beyond me.  To tut-tut Greta as a teenage snotnose is an unfair and condescending approach to her activism.  That's the approach that Trump took, and while she's stepped into an adult arena and subjects herself to such attacks voluntarily, this is the part of Trump that serves no useful purpose.  He'll get 10 times the flak he dishes out, and he's brought that on all by himself.

But it's certainly not out of bounds to question her selection by TIME magazine over, say, the Hong Kong protesters (who are the biggest FFs I've seen in a long time).  It's not out of bounds to question the positions Greta advocates, or to suggest she's misinformed, or even to question her motives.  She's a girl who's opted to do a grown woman's job, and she's chosen this.  I don't like the idea of putting legal children front and center on any political movement, but this is a fait acompli and Greta doesn't seem to mind the role.  (Truthfully, I think she enjoys every minute of Trump's attacks; it's a sign to her leftist peers that "She's Arrived!".)

Anyone who doesn't make the distinction between the Greta Thunberg/David Hogg teens and the Barron Trump/Sasha and Malia Obama teens is being deliberately dishonest.  As if they don't have enough ammo to bash Trump.  You step into the political arena, you get attacked.  Period.  It's a game for adults.  Joey Jay was 15 years old when he first pitched in the big leagues and they didn't throw 50 mph fastballs when he got up to bat.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »

As I always point out on these threads (and Republicans can, for whatever reason, never ever grasp), it's totally fine to critique Greta's politics or point out logical mistakes. In fact, you SHOULD do that. It's not OK to make the viscous personal attacks on her that Republicans always make on liberal kids.

We always object to the latter alone, and Republicans try to spin it like we're objecting to the former.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »

I'm not a Greta fan, but it is telling that Donnie is the one being a spoiled brat. Sadly, he may get Person of the Year next year as Time has gotten in the rut of selecting the winner of the Presidential race in Presidential election years. We'll know by the early hours of November 4 at the latest who will get the nod for 2020.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »

As I always point out on these threads (and Republicans can, for whatever reason, never ever grasp), it's totally fine to critique Greta's politics or point out logical mistakes. In fact, you SHOULD do that. It's not OK to make the viscous personal attacks on her that Republicans always make on liberal kids.

We always object to the latter alone, and Republicans try to spin it like we're objecting to the former.

The bolded is not true at all. Any time someone expresses disagreement with Thunberg or David Hogg or whoever there's always someone who swoops in with an "OMG, you're attacking a CHILD!!11!1!1" type comment.

Even in this thread, Trump's comment was non substantive and dumb but I wouldn't call it a "vicious personal attack".

To be honest I don't see what someone's age has to do with anything. If you're too young to be handle criticism or people making fun of you (which is really all Trump was doing here) then you're not old enough to be involved in political activism. On the other hand nastier attacks like sexually or race oriented stuff shouldn't be made against anyone so age is again not a factor.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »

I'm not a Greta fan, but it is telling that Donnie is the one being a spoiled brat. Sadly, he may get Person of the Year next year as Time has gotten in the rut of selecting the winner of the Presidential race in Presidential election years. We'll know by the early hours of November 4 at the latest who will get the nod for 2020.

As much as I obviously loathe Trump, he deserved it in 2016, and will deserve it again if he is re-elected. He has transformed this country and defined this decade.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »

Yes coz Barron Trump is as politically involved as Greta. Greta can be attacked because she chose to get involved. I don't really care about the Barron trump name coz its really not about him but  children who stay apolitical should not be attacked but those who want to be the face of a movement should be allowed to be attacked.

I would like to mention that Trump's attack is just childish however and not acceptable but I hate this idea how Greta can't be criticized at all because she's a child.

When I was Greta's age, I was politically active.  I was volunteering on Democratic campaigns (which involved vandalizing the opposition's campaign billboards and engaging in underage drinking with adult activists, lol) and marching in pro-impeachment demonstrations.  (This was 1973, and the activists marching used their other side of the "Out Now!" antiwar Vietnam War signs as their "Honk for Impeachment" signs.)  So I was politically active.  I don't see that as a bad thing for 16 year olds. 

When you're "Person Of The Year" of TIME Magazine, you are a public figure in ways that Barron Trump isn't.  That people don't get this is beyond me.  To tut-tut Greta as a teenage snotnose is an unfair and condescending approach to her activism.  That's the approach that Trump took, and while she's stepped into an adult arena and subjects herself to such attacks voluntarily, this is the part of Trump that serves no useful purpose.  He'll get 10 times the flak he dishes out, and he's brought that on all by himself.

But it's certainly not out of bounds to question her selection by TIME magazine over, say, the Hong Kong protesters (who are the biggest FFs I've seen in a long time).  It's not out of bounds to question the positions Greta advocates, or to suggest she's misinformed, or even to question her motives.  She's a girl who's opted to do a grown woman's job, and she's chosen this.  I don't like the idea of putting legal children front and center on any political movement, but this is a fait acompli and Greta doesn't seem to mind the role.  (Truthfully, I think she enjoys every minute of Trump's attacks; it's a sign to her leftist peers that "She's Arrived!".)

Anyone who doesn't make the distinction between the Greta Thunberg/David Hogg teens and the Barron Trump/Sasha and Malia Obama teens is being deliberately dishonest.  As if they don't have enough ammo to bash Trump.  You step into the political arena, you get attacked.  Period.  It's a game for adults.  Joey Jay was 15 years old when he first pitched in the big leagues and they didn't throw 50 mph fastballs when he got up to bat.

Nice post Fuzzy. From the heart....
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »

As much as I obviously loathe Trump, he deserved it in 2016, and will deserve it again if he is re-elected. He has transformed this country and defined this decade.

True, but so much of it is so negative and toxic. Why give a guy accolades for that?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »

Nice post Fuzzy. From the heart....

I appreciate the props.

I do hope that young people who decide to get involved in partisan politics realize that the activity isn't like school activities.  It's for keeps, in more ways than one. 

I will say this:  My first foray into politics was a letter utterly flaming my outgoing Congressman (a Republican and a WWII veteran) who lost to a peacenik 1974 liberal Democrat in an upset.  I really trashed and ridiculed the guy.  I received serious blowback.  On the other hand, after that, I had my liberal neighbor back me up on my well-researched facts and said "Guess my age." 

Forty-five years later, I'm an Evangelical Christian and independent voter.  The Congressman was defeated in 1992 because of overdrafts in the House Bank scandal, and is, today, a lobbyist, in partnership with a Republican colleague of his era. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies