Donation refunds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:04:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Donation refunds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donation refunds  (Read 480 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »

Hey y'all,

Wondering if anyone could offer some insight on campaign finance laws vis a vis campaign donations. Let's say I've donated a good amount of money to a presidential candidate and I am no longer satisfied with my donation, what laws are there (if any) that entitle me to a refund? Do I need to file anything with the FEC? Or is the campaign within their rights to deny my request?

Thanks in advance!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »

Not a lawyer, but unless they voluntarily give it back to you, you've got no chance. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »

Not a lawyer, but unless they voluntarily give it back to you, you've got no chance. 

Dammit, Pete--er, I mean...Paul? Peter Paul & Mary won't return my donations. Damn.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »

They will sometimes refund donors when the campaign drops out (one of several options for disposing of the surplus money when a campaign formally ends) — maybe you could expose some devastating and shameful scandal?

if I had access to the type of dirt that could derail a major presidential campaign, i wouldn't need to worry about getting back $150.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 01:07:15 PM »

I was once refunded a campaign contribution because the candidate dropped out, but I don't think they were under any legal obligation to do so.  It was only $50 or so.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 11:34:28 PM »

In Australia, if you gift somone money, you have no legal recourse to get it back.

So extrapolating that to your situation, unless it is in writing with terms and conditions surrounding your refund, you may find you are in a similar situation.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:50:58 PM »

In Australia, if you gift somone money, you have no legal recourse to get it back.

So extrapolating that to your situation, unless it is in writing with terms and conditions surrounding your refund, you may find you are in a similar situation.

Yeah, it's a donation not a contract.  I guess if a candidate spent it all on cocaine and hookers maybe you could file some kind of civil suit for fraud, but then the money's been spent (on cocaine and hookers) so it'd be hard to claw back.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

In contracts, it's a gratuitous gift, I donated to Ted Strickland and he imploded in 2016. You agree, before you donate, to not file tax interest on your tax return.

Next time donate closer to the election, that's why I am donating to Joe Kennedy and Barb Bollier so I dont get what happened to me with Strickland
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 08:02:39 AM »

Absent an individual promise to refund in consideration of the donation, none.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »

Yeah, it's a donation not a contract.  I guess if a candidate spent it all on cocaine and hookers maybe you could file some kind of civil suit for fraud, but then the money's been spent (on cocaine and hookers) so it'd be hard to claw back.

This gives me an idea with sjoyce's suggestion that I find some dirt...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies