Religion & Political Affiliation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:43:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religion & Political Affiliation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Religion & Political Affiliation  (Read 15996 times)
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2004, 10:00:29 AM »

How do various religious groups vote in the US?
This is my interpretation....

Baptists- GOP (Dem for Blacks)
Catholics- 50/50
Muslims- Dem
Buddhist- Dem
Jews- Dem
Hindus- Dem
Sikhs- Dem
Anglicans- GOP (Dem for Blacks)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 10:15:02 AM »

Muslim's are traditionally Republican... I'm not sure about Anglicans...
English

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 10:25:57 AM »

Really?!

That's a surprise!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:34:01 AM »

Muslim's are traditionally Republican... I'm not sure about Anglicans...
So are Vietnamese, quite possibly the largest group of Buddhists in the US.

Anglicans are called Episcopalians in the US. And I'd guess they probably vote Dem more often than Rep.

Methodists - ?
Pentecostals - GOP unless mining
Mormons - GOP
Reformed - GOP
Lutherans - ?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 10:52:06 AM »

Methodists probably lean Republican, although the official church itself (not necessarily individual churches affiliated with them) is fairly liberal, although I may be completely wrong. I attend a Methodist Church, but I don't really fit in with any single denomination.
English

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:58:12 AM »

Buddhists are surely staunchly Democrat?!
Perhaps this is a reaction to communism?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:58:15 AM »

Methodists probably lean Republican, although the official church itself (not necessarily individual churches affiliated with them) is fairly liberal, although I may be completely wrong. I attend a Methodist Church, but I don't really fit in with any single denomination.

A lot of Churches use the name "Methodist" without being what is normally termed Methodists...
I'd guess that "orthodox" Methodists (ie: United Methodists) are Dem leaning... but certain other groups are de facto fundamentalists...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 11:00:37 AM »

A lot of Churches use the name "Methodist" without being what is normally termed Methodists...
I'd guess that "orthodox" Methodists (ie: United Methodists) are Dem leaning... but certain other groups are de facto fundamentalists...

That seems to make more sense. Thanks Al.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 11:01:28 AM »

Buddhists are surely staunchly Democrat?!
Perhaps this is a reaction to communism?

Heh, I dunno. Seems to me like Buddhists wouldn't be thrilled with either party.
English

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 11:22:11 AM »

he he! I'm a god now! At last! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »

(prostates himself before image of English)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 11:29:21 AM »

I agree.  I remember when Bush was going to go into Iraq, the Methodist church issued a proclaimation against it.

Dissssss. Smiley

Luckily, I go to Messiah United Methodist Church, so we're cool and decently liberal Cool
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 11:45:57 AM »

Muslims are republican usually. 80% of them voted for Bush in 2000.
English

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 12:13:06 PM »

Anyone know if the Muslim vote has changed since 2000 in light of the war against terror?

This does surprise me, I would've thought the muslim vote would've been 80% for Gore.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 12:14:38 PM »

Anyone know if the Muslim vote has changed since 2000 in light of the war against terror?

This does surprise me, I would've thought the muslim vote would've been 80% for Gore.
Many (but not all) observers believe it will be 80% for Kerry next time.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 12:33:12 PM »

I've attended Methodist churches before and I can say the ones I was in were fairly conservative in politics, but they certainly weren't what I would call formal. It was a very down-to-Earth atmosphere, people dressed very informally, the order of events in the bulletin subject to change, preacher dressed in shirt and pants, that sort of thing.

A friend of mine who is a Methodist, is very conservative, attends their Conference every year and she says there is a tug of war going on between the conservative side and the more liberal side. Her impression was that it was fairly deadlocked, but on some issues the conservatives are winning and on others they are losing. Apparently, the conservative side wants preachers to be the hub of the church, take charge, build it if need be, spearhead activities, and they're losing on that one - the liberal side seems to want the congregation to do that stuff and the preacher is there just because it's his/her job and all he needs to do is show up, preach, and go home. Shamefully, it's almost "unionized." However, she thinks the conservative side is winning on issues such as homosexuality, but it changes every year since who goes to Conference changes. I don't know.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 12:36:43 PM »

Well, I think the preacher should have an active role in the church, but you can't have one person spearhead everything -- one of the major points of a church is fellowship and helping the community grow -- can't do that if a lot of people don't play a part.
California Dreamer

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »

Here are some interesting articles:

91% of Florida Muslims voted Bush in 2000

MSNBC::Muslim Vote, Sense of betrayal drives mobiliztion against Bush
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 03:55:47 PM »

Lutherans-Probably 60/40 Democratic (The more conservative types lean republican) but the traditional base...germans in the upper midwest have been democratic for a long time...(a trend thats been changing)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 03:58:47 PM »

Alot of Catholics are republicans due to the pro-life image of Catholics.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »

Lutherans-Probably 60/40 Democratic (The more conservative types lean republican) but the traditional base...germans in the upper midwest have been democratic for a long time...(a trend thats been changing)

It's not that the Germans in the midwest are getting more conservative, it's that the more liberal ones are retiring to the southeastern coast or dying.
pieman
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »

Of the Protestant group (Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, etc) evangelicals are GOP. Otherwise, the more often they attend church, the more GOP.

Church attendance is a better predictor of party than denomination. Those that attend more than once a month tend GOP, those that attend less than once a month tend DEM.

Catholics have tended DEM in the past due to an emphasis on compassion for the poor. In the past, Catholics split along those that have supported DEMS for government programs for the poor and those that have supported GOP for pro-life issues. As the GOP has supported a more "compassionate" platform, more Catholics are moving to the GOP side in line with the pro-life stance of the church. The catholic church is making a bigger fuss about politicans that are pro-choice. Some Bishops have said that if you PUBLICALLY support abortion you should not take communion.  It remains to be seen if this will be followed by the mainsteam catholics though.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 04:42:22 PM »

I've attended Methodist churches before and I can say the ones I was in were fairly conservative in politics, but they certainly weren't what I would call formal. It was a very down-to-Earth atmosphere, people dressed very informally, the order of events in the bulletin subject to change, preacher dressed in shirt and pants, that sort of thing.

Lots of kids that go to my church wear jeans Cheesy

However, our Pastors don't wear shirt & pants... they wear those cool robe things Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 06:56:30 PM »

Asians are a Republican block, right?  If so, does this transfer to any religious blocks?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 06:58:57 PM »

Asians are a Republican block, right?  If so, does this transfer to any religious blocks?
Nope, they aren't.
There are a few Asian Republican blocs - most notably Vietnamese.
There are also a few Asian Democratic blocs. (Koreans?)
And lots of swing and hardly-ever-voters.
That said, Asians swung big time between 96 and 2000 if polls are to be believed, giving both Dole and Gore 10point plus leads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies