Religion & Political Affiliation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religion & Political Affiliation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Religion & Political Affiliation  (Read 15905 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 08:13:06 PM »

I'm Lutheran. ELCA, the most liberal denomination. ELCA members are mostly Democratic, although probably not in the Dakotas.

The Missouri Synod is more conservative and probably mostly Republican. The Wisconsin Synod are even more conservative, they're basically the Southern Baptists of the midwest. So they're probably solidly Republican.

Something rather interesting: Jehova's Witnesses actually lean Democratic, the few that vote that is (their religion prohibits them from voting)

And yes, prior to now Muslims were mostly Republican, due primarily to social issues.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »

Atheists very rarely vote Republican.

That makes sense when you consider the fact that the Bush regime hates atheists.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2004, 09:38:35 PM »

A large majority of Vietnamese in the US are Catholics, not Buddhists.  The South was run by the 25-30% of the population that was Catholic.. in fact most of my Vietnamese friends that are still in Vietnam are Catholics.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »

That makes sense when you consider the fact that the Bush regime hates atheists.

around 25% do, mostly opebo and RightWingNut types...
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2004, 09:43:22 PM »

Vietnam is now like 10% Catholic, but it used to be much higher. The Communists banned the religion, and many Catholics fled out of the country or left the religion. Now vietnam is more tolerable, but still authorative.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2004, 09:55:41 PM »

It also makes sense when one considers that perhaps the atheist regime that would like to be hates Bush, as is evidenced by the unleashing of their fire-breathing fury and venom whenever he mentions his faith. A possibility.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2004, 10:06:54 PM »

around 25% do, mostly opebo and RightWingNut types...

Believe me, its a terrible compromise to have to vote Republican.. sometimes I don't bother to vote.  
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2004, 10:17:52 PM »

Not as rare as you think actually....
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 01:15:48 AM »

Lutherans really aren't evangelical either though.

Probably more similar to Catholics and Episcopalians than baptists or the like.

heh..

<--LCMS and a Republican (albeit very liberal one)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 02:33:27 AM »

Alot of Catholics are republicans due to the pro-life image of Catholics.

WRONG!! I'm Catholic myself and most I know are pro-choice, non-church going, and frequently have premarital sex.  I just read int eh Metro today that more than half are in fact pro-choice and 85% have used birth control.  Makes sense.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2004, 02:39:04 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2004, 02:53:15 AM by Lt. Gov. Ford »

WRONG!! I'm Catholic myself and most I know are pro-choice, non-church going, and frequently have premarital sex.  I just read int eh Metro today that more than half are in fact pro-choice and 85% have used birth control.  Makes sense.

If a person doesn't go to mass, they aren't a Catholic.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 07:30:56 AM »

The religion doesn't affect much in the Finnish politics, because 85 % of population are Lutherans.

There is some evangelical movements inside Finnish Lutheran church whose members always vote for Center Party or Conservatives. (most for Center) They never vote for Christian Democrats, which is very weird.  I have heard that most of Pentacostalists are Christian Democrats. And I think that small muslim minority votes for Social Democrats.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »

Methodists probably lean Republican, although the official church itself (not necessarily individual churches affiliated with them) is fairly liberal, although I may be completely wrong. I attend a Methodist Church, but I don't really fit in with any single denomination.

The Methodist Church is fixing to split, watch and see.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 09:04:08 AM »

I doubt it... there are just a few nutty pastors that get upset with the church because they won't get on the "God hates fags" bandwagon and won't oppose the termination of the lives of innocent sperm.

Methodists probably lean Republican, although the official church itself (not necessarily individual churches affiliated with them) is fairly liberal, although I may be completely wrong. I attend a Methodist Church, but I don't really fit in with any single denomination.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »

I doubt it... there are just a few nutty pastors that get upset with the church because they won't get on the "God hates fags" bandwagon and won't oppose the termination of the lives of innocent sperm.

Fundamentalists don't belong in the Methodist Church *anyways*...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2004, 01:18:03 PM »

Lutherans really aren't evangelical either though.

Probably more similar to Catholics and Episcopalians than baptists or the like.

heh..

<--LCMS and a Republican (albeit very liberal one)

is that Missouri Synod? But if they aren't the Wisconsin Synod probably is, if not they are still insane. If I'm not mistaken, while the Missouri Synod doesn't allow women to be ministers, they do allow them to vote on parish matters, however the Wisconsin Synod doesn't allow any voice for women at all. blech.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2004, 02:45:40 PM »

In the UK definately, most Catholics are pro-choice, and most I talk to (being Catholic) myself think the Church's position on contraception and homosexuality, to use the most common word, is just 'silly.' In Glasgow and Strathclyde, about 60% automatically vote Labour, due to their traditional support for social causes and Catholic schools. The Catholic Church, at local levels is increasingly liberal, especially amongst post Vatican II clergy. My local priest, and the priests at the school where I was taught saw nothing wrong with homosexuality and morally were a world away from the Bishops and others in the hierarchy. Oh and 99% back Celtic Football Club! Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2004, 03:18:29 PM »

LCMS is conservative (though I wouldn't say strongly so), and not evangelical.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2004, 04:33:36 PM »

Catholics that actually care what the church says are Republicans.

Catholics that couldn't care less (like Kerry) are Democrats.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2004, 04:43:12 PM »

If a person doesn't go to mass, they aren't a Catholic.

Exactly.  An over-whealming majority of Catholics who attend mass on a regular basis are pro-life and tend to vote for Republicans.

Wakie's not Catholic and neither are his friends.  

Plus, he lives in Philadelphia, so the people that he knows are bound to be more liberal over-all than the average.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »

In the UK definately, most Catholics are pro-choice, and most I talk to (being Catholic) myself think the Church's position on contraception and homosexuality, to use the most common word, is just 'silly.' In Glasgow and Strathclyde, about 60% automatically vote Labour, due to their traditional support for social causes and Catholic schools. The Catholic Church, at local levels is increasingly liberal, especially amongst post Vatican II clergy. My local priest, and the priests at the school where I was taught saw nothing wrong with homosexuality and morally were a world away from the Bishops and others in the hierarchy. Oh and 99% back Celtic Football Club! Wink

True, but in England, only 1% of the general population attend services on a regular basis.  I remember this because when I was in England I read in the paper that countries like Mexico, Brazile and South Africa were sending missionaries into England.  Quite an ironic twist.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2004, 04:48:15 PM »

Now look at Ireland, where the population is about 95% Catholic and an overwhealming majority attend services on a regular basis.  They are very pro-life.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2004, 07:24:32 PM »

Though isn't Ireland becoming less catholic--indeed less religious--as its become wealthier?

(I've seen some reports calling it the most globalized country in europe)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2004, 09:25:28 PM »

Lutherans-Probably 60/40 Democratic (The more conservative types lean republican) but the traditional base...germans in the upper midwest have been democratic for a long time...(a trend thats been changing)

Boy have you got this one wrong!

Lutherans, except for the Scandanavia sects are heavily Republican and have been for decades,  More so than the Baptish and Pentacostals.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2004, 09:33:14 PM »

But wait...aren't most (I actually have to exclude myself here)...Lutherans scandanavian/german and midwesterners?

(I realize that in the carolinas there is a large amount of republican lutherans, but don't the majority live in the upper midwest?)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies