Religion & Political Affiliation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:07:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religion & Political Affiliation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion & Political Affiliation  (Read 16028 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: May 19, 2004, 09:25:28 PM »

Lutherans-Probably 60/40 Democratic (The more conservative types lean republican) but the traditional base...germans in the upper midwest have been democratic for a long time...(a trend thats been changing)

Boy have you got this one wrong!

Lutherans, except for the Scandanavia sects are heavily Republican and have been for decades,  More so than the Baptish and Pentacostals.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 08:22:31 AM »

But wait...aren't most (I actually have to exclude myself here)...Lutherans scandanavian/german and midwesterners?

(I realize that in the carolinas there is a large amount of republican lutherans, but don't the majority live in the upper midwest?)

No.  

The Lutheran churches are an exception to the general decline among old line protestant churches in the United States.  There has been a quiet and general expansion of lutherans as many protestants flee the politically correct 'churches.'  

No, the majority of American Lutherans do NOT "live in the upper midwest."

Acutally as Scandanavian Americans slowly drop their historical membership in Lutheran churchs (which has been going on for more than two decades) the percentage of Luterans residing in the "upper midwest" has been slightly declining while it has been growing nationwide.

Ethnically, the largest component of lutheran churches in the United States is probably (surprise) people whose historical antecedants are German.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »

But wait...aren't most (I actually have to exclude myself here)...Lutherans scandanavian/german and midwesterners?

(I realize that in the carolinas there is a large amount of republican lutherans, but don't the majority live in the upper midwest?)

No.  

The Lutheran churches are an exception to the general decline among old line protestant churches in the United States.  There has been a quiet and general expansion of lutherans as many protestants flee the politically correct 'churches.'  

No, the majority of American Lutherans do NOT "live in the upper midwest."

Acutally as Scandanavian Americans slowly drop their historical membership in Lutheran churchs (which has been going on for more than two decades) the percentage of Luterans residing in the "upper midwest" has been slightly declining while it has been growing nationwide.

Ethnically, the largest component of lutheran churches in the United States is probably (surprise) people whose historical antecedants are German.

The lutheran churches in the rural parts of Minnesota are much more conservative than the lutheran churches in the metro area.

Lutheran churches in Minnesota tend to reflect the general population in the area they are located rather than being strongly one party or the other in general.

Have you compared the Synod involved.

Wisconsin is very conservative, while Missouri is conservative and ELCA tends to vary from church to church (Scandanavia ELCA tend to be more liberal than German ELCA).

Outside of the the upper Midwest in some ELCA churches, Lutherans are pretty generally conservative.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 10:22:05 PM »

As I previously noted, Missouri and Wisconsin synods are conservative, while ELCA varies, largely based on ethnicity of the congregation (irrespective of urbanity).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies