Religion & Political Affiliation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:29:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religion & Political Affiliation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion & Political Affiliation  (Read 16022 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: May 19, 2004, 04:43:12 PM »

Alot of Catholics are republicans due to the pro-life image of Catholics.

WRONG!! I'm Catholic myself and most I know are pro-choice, non-church going, and frequently have premarital sex.  I just read int eh Metro today that more than half are in fact pro-choice and 85% have used birth control.  Makes sense.

If a person doesn't go to mass, they aren't a Catholic.

Exactly.  An over-whealming majority of Catholics who attend mass on a regular basis are pro-life and tend to vote for Republicans.

Wakie's not Catholic and neither are his friends.  

Plus, he lives in Philadelphia, so the people that he knows are bound to be more liberal over-all than the average.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »

In the UK definately, most Catholics are pro-choice, and most I talk to (being Catholic) myself think the Church's position on contraception and homosexuality, to use the most common word, is just 'silly.' In Glasgow and Strathclyde, about 60% automatically vote Labour, due to their traditional support for social causes and Catholic schools. The Catholic Church, at local levels is increasingly liberal, especially amongst post Vatican II clergy. My local priest, and the priests at the school where I was taught saw nothing wrong with homosexuality and morally were a world away from the Bishops and others in the hierarchy. Oh and 99% back Celtic Football Club! Wink

True, but in England, only 1% of the general population attend services on a regular basis.  I remember this because when I was in England I read in the paper that countries like Mexico, Brazile and South Africa were sending missionaries into England.  Quite an ironic twist.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:48:15 PM »

Now look at Ireland, where the population is about 95% Catholic and an overwhealming majority attend services on a regular basis.  They are very pro-life.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:20:56 PM »

Though isn't Ireland becoming less catholic--indeed less religious--as its become wealthier?

(I've seen some reports calling it the most globalized country in europe)

Yeah I read that in Foriegn Policy magazine that Ireland is themost globalized country inthe world.  I think that it is still by far the nation with the highest percentage of church attendence though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies