2000: John Kerry the Democratic nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: John Kerry the Democratic nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: John Kerry the Democratic nominee  (Read 570 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »

For whatever reason, Al Gore declines to run for president and John Kerry gets the Democratic nomination in 2000. How does he fare against Dubya four years earlier?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2019, 06:42:15 PM by darklordoftech »

Kerry’s opposition to the death penalty, military spending, and the Kuwait War wouldn’t hurt him as much, if at all, in a low-crime, pre-9/11 election and he wouldn’t have the flip-flopping issue. Kerry would also be stronger in Ohio than Gore and “Tweedledee and Tweedledum” attacks wouldn’t be as effective. I feel like Kerry would have been more suited to 2000 for the reasons I mentioned while Gore would have been more suited to 2004 because he could say, “I’ve always supported military spending, I’ve always been a hawk, I voted for the Persian Gulf War, and I’ve always supported the death penalty, but even I knew Iraq was a bad idea.” Gore would also be likely to attack Bush for brushing off warnings about Al-Qaeda and Tora Bora and would remind voters that Clinton tried to strike Bin Laden (see how in 1992, attacked HW for allowing Hussein to get away with things before the invasion of Kuwait).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »

Kerry’s opposition to the death penalty, military spending, and the Kuwait War wouldn’t hurt him as much, if at all, in a low-crime, pre-9/11 election and he wouldn’t have the flip-flopping issue. Kerry would also be stronger in Ohio than Gore and “Tweedle and tweedledum” attacks wouldn’t be as effective. I feel like Kerry would have been more suited to 2000 for the reasons I mentioned while Gore would have been more suited to 2004 because he could say, “I’ve always supported military spending, I’ve always been a hawk, I voted for the Persian Gulf War, and I’ve always supported the death penalty, but even I knew Iraq was a bad idea.”

Why, then?

Does Kerry pick Gephardt in 2000?

Does Kerry need OH or FL or just IA+MO?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »

Kerry would likely pick Dick Gephardt as a running mate (he wanted him as his running mate in '04, but was convinced to go with Edwards instead).

As for the result itself, let's not forget that Kerry carried NH in 2004, & that was during an election which Republicans won by about 3%, so surely he would've done so in 2000, when it would've been enough to deliver 271 EV's (&, thus, the Presidency) to Kerry.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »

Kerry would likely pick Dick Gephardt as a running mate (he wanted him as his running mate in '04, but was convinced to go with Edwards instead).

As for the result itself, let's not forget that Kerry carried NH in 2004, & that was during an election which Republicans won by about 3%, so surely he would've done so in 2000, when it would've been enough to deliver 271 EV's (&, thus, the Presidency) to Kerry.

The question is, could Kerry hold onto the states Al Gore won by a hair? He carried New Mexico by like 391 votes or so (in total less than Florida). Iowa, Wisconsin and Oregon were also extremely close. This could move moved the needle into Bush's favor.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »

He would do much worse than Gore
538Electoral

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:33:42 AM »

He wouldn't win Oregon, Wisconsin, New Mexico or Iowa. I don't think Kerry would've won NH either. So Bush wins 301-237.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies