Rank all the Star Wars Movies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Rank all the Star Wars Movies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rank all the Star Wars Movies  (Read 1523 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One (it is the only new Star Wars movie I actually liked)

The others are not worth considering.  

How is ROTS not a good Star Wars movie lol
From his perspective, the prequels are automatically evil.

Well then he is lost!

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, at least on the sequel trilogy.  I did have some liking for 'The Force Awakens' and 'The Rise of Skywalker'.  

So here is my revised ranking:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. The Rise of Skywalker
6. The Force Awakens

The Prequels remain outside the galaxy in the black, frigid, and empty void where they belong. 

you actually think ROTS is a bad movie lol

Hayden Christensen is a terrible actor. 

Not in ROTS and Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor do a fantastic job in that movie . Also ROTS had by far the best action of any Star Wars movie , brilliantly show the hubris of the Jedi Order , how Palpatine successfully manipulates everyone and it’s by far the most emotional Star Wars movie ever . Also if you view Star Wars more about the Jedi and the Sith rather than the Empire and Rebellion, ROTS is the perfect representation of that as well

The other actors are quite good and talented, yes.  But they have to pick up where Hayden left off.  He was utterly unimpressive as Anakin Skywalker.  And since he is the focal figure in the prequel trilogy (at least in 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Revenge of the Sith'), that downgraded them significantly. 

He was actually great in ROTS as well , his fall to the dark side is done brilliantly and his action scenes are all brilliant as well along with his friendship with Obi-Wan before his fall.

He also wanst a Whiner in ROTS like people think, that was in AOTC and people mix those together. Here

As bad as the sequel trilogy was at times at least it wasn't the prequel trilogy.

Prequels, how many ways do I hate yet, let me count the midichlorians.

Revenge of the Sith >>>>>>>>>> Anything from the Sequal Trilogy

As bad as TPM and AOTC were it didnt ruin a character like TLJ did to Luke so yes I agree pure movie wise TPM and AOTC were worse than TLJ but Star Wars wise TLJ was worse.

RotS ruined Anakin. Anakin could and should have been a tragic character, but RotS simply tossed what little was there was of his character thanks to TPM and AotC and made him into nothing but a horny whiny teenager.

um what I think you are confusing AOTC Anakin with ROTS Anakin, Anakin was great in ROTS.  He was not a whiner in ROTS other than when he lashed out at the council and later with Obi-Wan about not being made a Jedi Master and given the fact that he was the first-ever council member ever to  not be made a Master and the fact he took down the leader of the Separatists(Count Dooku) he was more than justified to get angry at them.

He also was mad cause the council made him literally commit treason by spying on the elected leader of the Republic so the "whining" about that mission was fully justified. In fact that whole scene  from not being made a Master to be given that assignment to spy on the Chancellor was a huge step in his way of falling to the dark side as it totally undermined his trust in the Jedi.

Throughout the movie you constantly see that with Anakin not being sent on mission after mission despite all his heroism throughout the war fueled his anger. All this along with his fear of losing another loved one is what pushed him to the dark side and when he confided with Yoda about that fear, Yoda gave a terrible response. Instead of explaining  him how taking actions out of fear could lead to the very action he was so fearful about, he told him he should learn just to be content with what ever happens and he needs to learn to not be fearful.

Lastly is if Anakin was made a Master , his fall would have been avoided as all the ancient Sith artifacts in the Jedi Temple are restricted to Jedi Masters only. Then when Palpatine told him the story about how the Sith named Darth Plagues could save the ones he loved from dying , he could have verified if that story was true from the restricted section of the archives and when he would find nothing he would know Palpatine was either lying and get suspicious about him. At the same time he would also find out there is no named Sith named Plagues in the Jedi Archives(Since he was a Sith after the Sith completely went into basically exile in the 1000 years after their defeat) he would be even more suspicious how Palpatine even knows of such a sith and then it would be obvious only a Sith lord would know of such a Sith then could turn him in to the jedi council when Yoda, Mace and Obi-Wan were all present

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One (it is the only new Star Wars movie I actually liked)

The others are not worth considering.  

How is ROTS not a good Star Wars movie lol
From his perspective, the prequels are automatically evil.

Well then he is lost!

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, at least on the sequel trilogy.  I did have some liking for 'The Force Awakens' and 'The Rise of Skywalker'.  

So here is my revised ranking:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. The Rise of Skywalker
6. The Force Awakens

The Prequels remain outside the galaxy in the black, frigid, and empty void where they belong. 

Preference for the empty, glurgy, shallow, superficial fluff, glorified fanfics over the introspective, original, aesthetically remarkable George Lucas helmed work of The Phantom Menace and especially Revenge of the Sith?!?

...It's treason, then!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:14 AM »

I've recently rewatched Revenge of the Sith.

It doesn't just hold up. It's even better than I remembered. I would legitimately call it a masterpiece.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Some of the dialog falls flat. Even good lines are sometimes poorly delivered/directed. But that's not nearly as prevalent a problem as people make it out to be. And on the other end, you have downright fantastic writing and acting such as Obi Wan's final speech to Anakin, or every single moment Palpatine is on screen. To say nothing of the breathtaking facial acting in silent scenes. This is what a real story looks like - a deep one, one that resonates into millennia-old archetypes while bringing them to life in a novel, unique way - not the jumbled mess of gimmicks and fast-paced nonsense Disney and Abrams have given us. This is what a modern myth looks like. There is emotion, passion and tragedy. Things happen because of the internal drives and goals of characters and the environment in which they live. The cinematography is beyond gorgeous, the fight superbly choreographed. There are also some bad story beats, to be sure (I deliberately black out that ridiculous "She lost the will to live" line), but again they're all fairly minor.

There are reasons to be deeply upset by Disney taking over Star Wars (mainly revolving around their extreme proprietary and monopolistic attitude toward the canon), but fundamentally, I'm not even mad that they're sh**tting all over such a beloved franchise. I don't care, because the 6 real Star Wars movie tell a complete, beautiful story. They are there, and they will always be there. Disney can't take them away from us. Whatever new crap they conjure up is irrelevant, because I already have all I need from Star Wars.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »

It doesn't just hold up. It's even better than I remembered. I would legitimately call it a masterpiece.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Some of the dialog falls flat. Even good lines are sometimes poorly delivered/directed. But that's not nearly as prevalent a problem as people make it out to be. And on the other end, you have downright fantastic writing and acting such as Obi Wan's final speech to Anakin, or every single moment Palpatine is on screen. To say nothing of the breathtaking facial acting in silent scenes. This is what a real story looks like - a deep one, one that resonates into millennia-old archetypes while bringing them to life in a novel, unique way - not the jumbled mess of gimmicks and fast-paced nonsense Disney and Abrams have given us. This is what a modern myth looks like. There is emotion, passion and tragedy. Things happen because of the internal drives and goals of characters and the environment in which they live. The cinematography is beyond gorgeous, the fight superbly choreographed. There are also some bad story beats, to be sure (I deliberately black out that ridiculous "She lost the will to live" line), but again they're all fairly minor.

There are reasons to be deeply upset by Disney taking over Star Wars (mainly revolving around their extreme proprietary and monopolistic attitude toward the canon), but fundamentally, I'm not even mad that they're sh**tting all over such a beloved franchise. I don't care, because the 6 real Star Wars movie tell a complete, beautiful story. They are there, and they will always be there. Disney can't take them away from us. Whatever new crap they conjure up is irrelevant, because I already have all I need from Star Wars.

What is ur 1 to 10 rating on them all
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2020, 01:44:40 AM by Trends are real, and I f**king hate it »

What is ur 1 to 10 rating on them all

I'm not a big fan of purely quantitative scales to rate works of art - I think there are multiple different ways in which they can be good or bad, and I've been trying to come up with ways to measure that. But anyway, if I have to try, I would guess something like:

RotS - 10
RotJ - 9
ESB - 9
Rogue One - 7
ANH - 7
TPM - 6
AotC - 6
TFA - 6
TLJ - 4
RoS - 1
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 01:04:24 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2020, 01:13:09 AM by L.D. Smith »

As for Hayden Christensen, he's not a bad actor anymore than Christopher Walken or Keanu Reeves are.

No, Christensen is simply an actor with one sort of performance that either works marvelously...or falls flat horribly, with little in-between.

This is from Shattered Glass, and it's one of the best performances in all of 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBeTTZ4QBoA
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »

As for Hayden Christensen, he's not a bad actor anymore than Christopher Walken or Keanu Reeves are.

No, Christensen is simply an actor with one sort of performance that either works marvelously...or falls flat horribly, with little in-between.

This is from Shattered Glass, and it's one of the best performances in all of 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBeTTZ4QBoA

It's evident now that in the Prequels George Lucas is just a bad director when it comes to directing actors...other than Jake Lloyd. He was terrible in everything he ever did.

Though I always noticed that the British actors in the Prequels were able to give consistently better performances than their American counterparts.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »

If Had to rate them from 1-10 this is how I would rate them

TPM: 5.5/10
AOTC: 4.5/10
Clone Wars: 5/10
ROTS: 10/10
Solo: 5/10
Rogue One: 9/10
ANH: 8.5/10
ESB: 10/10
ROTJ: 9.5/10
TFA: 7/10
TLJ: 2/10
TROS: 7.5/10

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 12:47:21 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 01:08:53 AM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

Counting all nominally-canon movies except Solo, which I haven't seen, and making an effort to be charitable to the post-2014 canon so as not to reify my own personal distaste for it:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Rogue One

6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

9. The Last Jedi

10. The Rise of Skywalker

The line where I start to find the movies a chore to watch is somewhere between TFA and TLJ. Different aspects of/scenes from AotC and TPM are on each side of that line.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 01:31:42 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 05:35:32 PM by Trends are real, and I f**king hate it »

RotS - 10
RotJ - 9
ESB - 9
Rogue One - 7
ANH - 7
TPM - 6
AotC - 6
TFA - 6
TLJ - 4
RoS - 1

Going to redo it now that I've finished my rewatch of the movies and spent a little more time assessing all of them.

RotS - 10 (criminally underrated, still the closest Star Wars has come to a masterpiece)
RotJ - 8 (the best parts are Star Wars at its best, but some parts that just don't work, even if they're minimal in the grand scheme of things)
ESB - 8 (probably the most consistently good of the bunch, but has an "unfinished" quality to it that really bothers me)
ANH - 7 (codified so many Star Wars tropes it's hard to judge it on a scale, but trying to forget its status as the First, I'd say it's solid but doesn't blow me away)
Rogue One - 7 (powerful themes and memorable characters, but it does suffer from some of the flaws that plagued Disney Wars)
TPM - 6 (I still have a blast watching it - it does have some cringe but not nearly as much as people claim)
TFA - 6 (if ANH didn't exist this would be a fantastic movie, but ANH does exist and this just rips it off)
AotC - 5 (a lot of it is honestly pretty boring, but it's salvaged by characters and themes)
TLJ - 4 (some genuinely good ideas in there, but that doesn't excuse sh*tting all over the most beloved character)
RoS - 1 (an empty husk of a movie)

Of course the scale here is relative (I don't think RotS is the BEST MOVIE EVAH or RoS the worst).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 10:26:51 AM by Hindsight is 2020 »

10- ESB (The best SW film hands down that elevated the franchise to its status)
9- ANH (The original and a classic though isn’t as good as empire and was held back by its budget issues)
8-ROTJ ( The weakest of the originals but a fine film none the less)
7- TFA (While a soft reboot of ANH and made I think a deadly mistake in how it handled the political setup of First Order vs the resistance along with the useless third Death Star it’s still a fun movie that got you interested in were the story was going)
6-ROTS (the best of the prequels but that isn’t saying much)
5- Rogue One (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE)
4- ROS (A complete mess that throws in ideas a concepts that should of been done in TLJ and also feels more like middle finger to TLJ then an actual movie)
3- ATOC (I don’t like sand)
2- TLJ (A depressing mess that should of never happened)
1- TPM (Messa a bad movie)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »

1. The Empire Strikes Back.
2. A New Hope.
3. Return of the Jedi.
4. Rogue One.
5. Solo.
6. Revenge of the Sith.
7. The Force Awakens.
8. The Last Jedi.
9. Attack of the Clones.
10. The Phantom Menace.

I still haven't seen 'The Rise of Skywalker.' I imagine that it will fall either above or below 'The Last Jedi.' And I don't plan on ever seeing 'The Clone Wars.'

The recent thread asking about whether the sequel trilogy is worth watching or not reminded me that I forgot to update this.

'Rise of 'Skywalker' indeed falls between 'Attack of the Clones' and 'The Last Jedi' on my list.

I will say though that Episode VIII was probably more disappointing since I had high expectations for it back then while Episode IX met my very tamped down expectations of it. However, Episode IX was just so haphazardly put together and almost insulting to the audience with how it expects you to not question the details or logic of the movie. And I'm not talking about nitpicks. Major developments were just straight up under-explained, not explained at all, or came out of nowhere. I believe that Rian Johnson directed and wrote with his heart in Episode VIII, Abrams and Terrio (with his f***ing jar fetish) meanwhile did not have their hearts in Episode IX. It was made out of obligation, and it shows. No matter how much Rian Johnson or Kathleen Kennedy affected the movie with some of their bad decisions, the final entry into the saga did not need to be this bad or desperate.

Episode IX was still more entertaining and better made than either Episodes I or II though, so it scrapes by being ranked higher than those two by that virtue.

Also, Hollywood, stop subtitling final entries in a trilogy with the word "Rise." It never makes for a good title or theme to a conclusion.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies