Independent far right candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:55:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Independent far right candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Independent far right candidate?  (Read 6604 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »

Using money to win elections Tongue
[don't respond. I know that it's very common in the US etc]

Well, it would be dumb to use money to LOSE elections.

As long as votes aren't bought, I don't see anything immoral about.  It takes money to do everything.
jravnsbo

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »

Yeah how do you have any election outside of the very local level without money?  It takes money to get your message out.  

Sadly how much it really takes though.

As long as votes aren't bought, I don't see anything immoral about.  It takes money to do everything.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 06:44:17 PM »

I don't know is this already discussed in the forum.

Is there any far right candidate in the horizon in this time with immigrants and Nafta issues?

I think it's only fair that Bush would be hurt by right wing candidate, because Nader took presidency from the Gore in 2000.

I dont see any serious far right candidates.
 However a possibility that might hurt bush would be the libertarian party as they have a former hollywood producer(Aaron Russo) as well as a nationaly syndicated talk radio host (Gary Nolan) seeking the nomination. However they would also take some democrat votes with their socially liberal stances.
nonluddite

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2004, 10:42:03 PM »

Right!  It's only legal to buy votes when you are sitting in the Congress or the White House!  At least people that give money to candidates do it willingly...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »

Well, that's the point, you buy an election by taking up all ad-space, hammering through your message to an extent that your opponent can't. This means that the voters are less informed than they should be when they vote, they know more about one candidate than the other. Also, someone with money can hire campaign workers, and don't have to rely on people actually supporting him. Sometimes the side with the money lose anyway, though, it happened in Sweden recently, when one of the most expensive campaigns in human history got beaten resoundingly. It's about using the money smartly, not just have it.  

Yeah how do you have any election outside of the very local level without money?  It takes money to get your message out.  

Sadly how much it really takes though.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2004, 01:21:15 PM »

Well, that's the point, you buy an election by taking up all ad-space, hammering through your message to an extent that your opponent can't. This means that the voters are less informed than they should be when they vote, they know more about one candidate than the other.

The same (empty) argument could be made for any advertiser of any product or idea.  Advertising (speaking to an audience) is not buying people.  Advertising (speaking to an audience) is not immoral.

Now, if you want to talk about a candidate pandering against his core beliefs, then I would agree that is immoral.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »

Well, that's the point, you buy an election by taking up all ad-space, hammering through your message to an extent that your opponent can't. This means that the voters are less informed than they should be when they vote, they know more about one candidate than the other.

The same (empty) argument could be made for any advertiser of any product or idea.  Advertising (speaking to an audience) is not buying people.  Advertising (speaking to an audience) is not immoral.

Now, if you want to talk about a candidate pandering against his core beliefs, then I would agree that is immoral.

I don't think voting is th same thing as buying a schampoo. Of course advertising is not immoral, I don't think I called it that. But you don't dispute the fact that the voter's choice is less informed if one side has all the money. I agree that someone who buys a particular kind of chocolate might be vadly informed too, but it matters less.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2004, 02:03:39 PM »

I don't think voting is th same thing as buying a schampoo. Of course advertising is not immoral, I don't think I called it that. But you don't dispute the fact that the voter's choice is less informed if one side has all the money. I agree that someone who buys a particular kind of chocolate might be vadly informed too, but it matters less.

It is NOT the candidate’s job to inform the public of both sides of an argument.   A candidate advertises to get his viewpoint across, not the viewpoint of the opposing candidate.

Educating the citizen to both sides of the argument is the responsibility of the CITIZEN, not the candidate.
jravnsbo

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 02:48:24 PM »

Hey as I've said GOP could just run ads for what the Dems advocate and win.  All for it.

Tax increases

more regulation on business

ona nd on, it would be great!  I want them to get their message out.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2004, 03:09:42 PM »

It is NOT the candidate’s job to inform the public of both sides of an argument.   A candidate advertises to get his viewpoint across, not the viewpoint of the opposing candidate.

Educating the citizen to both sides of the argument is the responsibility of the CITIZEN, not the candidate.

I didn't say that a candidate should advertise for his oponent. That would be ridiculous, and I find it strange that you would think, or pretend, that I advocated that. That still does not change the fundamental issue; it is a problem if only one side can get their message out, and that will give that side more voters.
jravnsbo

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2004, 03:27:33 PM »

I didn't say that either.  I was saying that we want the democrats to get out their message!

Was joking when I said the GOP should just run ads for the Dems.  but partly true
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2004, 03:39:50 PM »

I didn't say that either.  I was saying that we want the democrats to get out their message!

Was joking when I said the GOP should just run ads for the Dems.  but partly true

I know, I wasn't quoting you, and thus not responding to you! I just let your joke pass without comment... Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies