FT 14-08-Prison Reform Package
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 14-08-Prison Reform Package
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FT 14-08-Prison Reform Package  (Read 723 times)
Roblox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2019, 11:32:40 PM »

Prison Reform Package of 2019 I
Preamble

We recognize the grave injustices being caused in a system where it is profitable for prisons of all sorts to exist. In slowly changing the system, we can correct the further cause of pain for so many.

Section I: Affirming the Existence of those Accused, Apprehended, Suspected, and Incarcerated 
1. The people of Atlasia whom are incarcerated will have autonomy over their own selves
(a) The practice of force feeding is prohibited while incarcerated in any prison operating in Atlasia or run by the Atlasian government
(b) Religious practices shall be upheld as one’s right
   I. Prison dietary scheduling shall take into account religious observances in dietary scheduling
   II. Apprehended suspects shall have their religious dietary concerns respected
        1. timing of religious dietary needs shall be operated upon for those applicable
(c) At any stage of being apart of the Criminal Justice system, political rights shall be upheld

II. No citizen shall be barred from office for any reason
    III. No citizen shall be unable to exercise their right of assembly and association
         1. Excludes participation from sectarian or criminal groups
            a. Will be decided by the Court of Lincoln for each group
Section II: Books and Entertainment
1. The policy on prison libraries shall be as follows
 (a) All prisons, jails, or Juvenile detention sites operating in Atlasia or by the Atlasian government shall have a library
(b) It is prohibited from taking actions against reading literature if no clear danger is present to the other inmates
(c)An incarcerated individual can get a year off their sentence if a total of 3,000 hours of reading is accomplished

Sponsor: PSOL
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »

This amendment grants the rights guaranteed to all Atlasians to an oft forgotten and abused demographic, the imprisoned.

Section I grants the bodily autonomy and rights of an Atlasian citizen to the imprisoned. First off, it bars forced feeding under any circumstances, along with respecting the religious rites of prisoners. A recent intercept report covered that in many cases, those fasting are not accommodated to a more respectable dinner time during Ramadan. Anecdotally, my time talking to police officers has uncovered that in incarceration, the accused are not accommodating to their eating habits whether religious or regarding their choice to avoid animal products.

Furthermore, going to part C of the first clause, it affords prisoners the right to participate in the political process. It gives them the right to both run for office and form groupings within prisons. With the common instances of abuse and forced labor still present in Atlasia, the ability to form advocacy groups should be a must.

Finally, we go to the Lit program. I was inspired by a documentary on a Costa Rican program shaving off some time for prisoners to explore their cultural and literary potential. I liked it so much, so there it is.

I’d love to see more feedback and suggestions to create a comprehensive legislation here
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:32:15 AM »

"Will be decided by the Court of Lincoln for each group" someone didn't proofread
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »

Erm, missed a spot, fixing that with the below amendment

Preamble

We recognize the grave injustices being caused in a system where it is profitable for prisons of all sorts to exist. In slowly changing the system, we can correct the further cause of pain for so many.

Section I: Affirming the Existence of those Accused, Apprehended, Suspected, and Incarcerated 
1. The people of Atlasia whom are incarcerated will have autonomy over their own selves
(a) The practice of force feeding is prohibited while incarcerated in any prison operating in Atlasia or run by the Atlasian government
   I. Prison dietary scheduling shall take into account religious observances in dietary scheduling
        1. timing of religious dietary needs shall be operated upon for those applicable
(c) At any stage of being apart of the Criminal Justice system, political rights shall be upheld

III. No citizen shall be unable to exercise their right of assembly and association
            a. Will be decided by the Court of Lincoln Fremont for each group
 (a) All prisons, jails, or Juvenile detention sites operating in Atlasia or by the Atlasian government shall have a library
(b) It is prohibited from taking actions against reading literature if no clear danger is present to the other inmates
(c)An incarcerated individual can get a year off their sentence if a total of 3,000 hours of reading is accomplished

Sponsor: PSOL
Any comments and concerns now?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 08:06:16 PM »

I oppose the blanket sentence reduction for reading. Certainly reading and education should count towards a case for parole, but we shouldn't have blanket provisions that violent criminals can easily abuse.
And additionally, though reading and education is important in prison, inmates shouldn't be incentivised to spend all their time doing it over doing productive prison employment, which is just as useful in giving prisoners the skills they need to integrate back into society upon their release (though obviously we should require all prison labour to be productive and paid rather than punitive, involuntary and unpaid)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »

I oppose the blanket sentence reduction for reading. Certainly reading and education should count towards a case for parole, but we shouldn't have blanket provisions that violent criminals can easily abuse.
And additionally, though reading and education is important in prison, inmates shouldn't be incentivised to spend all their time doing it over doing productive prison employment, which is just as useful in giving prisoners the skills they need to integrate back into society upon their release (though obviously we should require all prison labour to be productive and paid rather than punitive, involuntary and unpaid)
I hear your case, but I digress that in a supervised and tallied setting, reading a full worth of 125 days of literature of their choosing is not an easy task, being split into around 20 minutes each day that ultimately shaves off a year.

If need be, would lowering the removed jail time be more preferable? Perhaps down to half a year instead of a full year?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:17 AM »

I hear your case, but I digress that in a supervised and tallied setting, reading a full worth of 125 days of literature of their choosing is not an easy task, being split into around 20 minutes each day that ultimately shaves off a year.

If need be, would lowering the removed jail time be more preferable? Perhaps down to half a year instead of a full year?

No, I'd rather we don't incentivise inmates to only do one specific activity to the exclusion of all else. All time spent learning skills and being productive should count equally, be it reading, education or prison employment.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 12:26:28 AM »

No, I'd rather we don't incentivise inmates to only do one specific activity to the exclusion of all else. All time spent learning skills and being productive should count equally, be it reading, education or prison employment.
I would be willing to accept your amendment on reading it if you can make one on these matters in due time.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »

Preamble

a. Will be decided by the Court of Fremont for each group
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »

Fine, I accept the revised amendment.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 12:51:55 AM »

The language and formatting isn't great, to be honest, but I think I support what this is going for.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 01:14:41 AM »

The language and formatting isn't great, to be honest, but I think I support what this is going for.
I’m admittedly not well versed in standard formatting, so any revisions to be up to code would be helpful.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »

Preamble

a. Will be decided by the Court of Lincoln Fremont for each group
(c) An incarcerated individual non-felon can get a year off their sentence if a total of 3,000 hours of reading is accomplished. An incarcerated felon can get a year off their sentence if a total of 5,000 hours of reading is accomplished.

Thoughts on this edit?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 02:13:58 AM »

On second thought, I much prefer Koopa’s amendment. I retract my support for ASV’s in favor of the latter. That’s my final compromise on the matter.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 01:42:02 AM »

Once again, why should an inmate get time off simply for reading books, while an inmate who is in prison employment does not?
And why should a convicted criminal get their sentence reduced simply because they read books?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 03:33:34 AM »

Once again, why should an inmate get time off simply for reading books, while an inmate who is in prison employment does not?

It's still not too late to amend it yourself and include prison employment alongside reading.

And why should a convicted criminal get their sentence reduced simply because they read books?

Because numerous studies have proven that reading has postive effects on the brain. Considering how prison inmates are the kind of people whose brains are in need of a little help of, it would be beneficial to reward them for such reading to help civilize them.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »

Because numerous studies have proven that reading has postive effects on the brain.
I would honestly be interested in reading some if you could provide a link.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »

If anything has been said and done, I believe we can move forward to a final motion to vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »

Objection, debate is still ongoing
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »

Because numerous studies have proven that reading has postive effects on the brain.

I would honestly be interested in reading some if you could provide a link.

PDF #1
PDF #2
PDF #3

Hopefully you can find these papers a little useful.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »

Motion for a final vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 06:55:58 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »

What debate? We’ve covered all the bases and have covered the merits of the last section. Since we’ve all been quite quiet about the matter since, there’s no reason to stall passing this, with or without your vote. Motion for a cloture vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 07:19:42 PM »

What debate? We’ve covered all the bases and have covered the merits of the last section. Since we’ve all been quite quiet about the matter since, there’s no reason to stall passing this, with or without your vote. Motion for a cloture vote.
Only the First Minister or Speaker have the power to move for Cloture.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 07:21:44 PM »

Only the First Minister or Speaker have the power to move for Cloture.
Thanks for reminding me, can the first minister please enter us into a final vote on this matter?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies