Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?!  (Read 4119 times)
Cyrusman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »

What percent of the people who vote do you think know absolutely nothing about either candidate and simply vote for a candidate based of if there is a letter (R) or letter (D) next to their name?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »

Probably a good minority (if not a sad majority) of people.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »

60 to 70%
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »

Of the voting population? 80-90%.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »

I would say 80-85% of voters vote based on the D or R.

what percent vote based on the D or R AND ALSO know nothing about either candidate, probably pretty few, like 10-20%.  I'd guess people who know they want a D or R are fairly well informed.  The ones that know the least about either candidate are probably also the least partisan.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 12:59:01 AM »

Most people, including most people on this site.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 02:13:57 AM »

In a Presidential election very few voters "know absolutely nothing" about who they are voting for.  They generally have some concept of the candidate, even if it's wildly inaccurate.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »

I think the answer in presidential election is actually pretty small.  Suppose there was a ballot printing error and Trump’s name showed up with a D printed next to is, and the Dem candidate showed up with an R.  Do you really think 80% of Dems would vote for Trump in this case?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »

It's fairly small for the Presidential election, and progressively higher as you go down ballot. I sure as hell have voted for local judges knowing absolutely nothing about them based on the D or R. It's embarrassing to admit, obviously, but there were 60-odd races on my ballot in 2018 and over half were judges.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:04:24 PM »

90% of people vote for the same party 90% of the time
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »

quite a large amount. Case in point: my mom's friend voting R, thinking she was voting for Obama. (this was after my mom had conversations with her which resulted in the friend becoming a Obama supporter, mainly because of healthcare issues)

Afterwards said something like "Obama's a Republican, right?"

spell it out, everybody.

I-N-D-O-C-T-R-I-N-A-T-I-O-N

"Democrat bad so if Obama good he is Republican"

sh**t like this is why I think voting straight ticket should be banned. Makes voters at least give some thought to their choices rather than hitting one button and leaving.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 12:39:26 AM »

90% of people vote for the same party 90% of the time
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »

sh**t like this is why I think voting straight ticket should be banned. Makes voters at least give some thought to their choices rather than hitting one button and leaving.

I am not memorizing dozens and dozens and dozens of judicial candidates.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 06:05:11 AM »

Given results in barely contested and hopeless races, I think it should be between 40-70% of the population depending on the state. Basically take any random hopeless election and multiply the result of the losing party by 2.

Depending on the race, this gives anywhere from 40% to 70% (for hopeless candidates that get 20% and 35% respectively)

States with high racial polarization (ie the deep south) will have more of it in my opinion as well.

Judicial races should not be partisan to begin with. Hell, you could even argue they shouldn't be elections at all!

I am not opposed to retention elections for judges, but the first election (or replacement if the retention election fails) should be an appointment from some independent justice commitee o or possibly from the state legislature if you want politician's control.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 08:11:56 PM »

I think the answer in presidential election is actually pretty small.  Suppose there was a ballot printing error and Trump’s name showed up with a D printed next to is, and the Dem candidate showed up with an R.  Do you really think 80% of Dems would vote for Trump in this case?
“Due to a minor ballot error, we can now project that Bernie Sanders will win the state of West Virginia.”
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »

Somewhere in the 90% neighborhood.  I harken back to Romney's 47% comment, only I twist it to voting.  Even though there are folks who call themselves Independents or even claim a 3rd party, whenever push comes to shove they predominately and faithfully go one way (47% D, 41% R, 2% to their 3rd party).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »

My dad is one of them has never voted for a Republican in his life because of their anti-union stance
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »

Given results in barely contested and hopeless races, I think it should be between 40-70% of the population depending on the state. Basically take any random hopeless election and multiply the result of the losing party by 2.

Depending on the race, this gives anywhere from 40% to 70% (for hopeless candidates that get 20% and 35% respectively)

States with high racial polarization (ie the deep south) will have more of it in my opinion as well.

Judicial races should not be partisan to begin with. Hell, you could even argue they shouldn't be elections at all!

I am not opposed to retention elections for judges, but the first election (or replacement if the retention election fails) should be an appointment from some independent justice commitee o or possibly from the state legislature if you want politician's control.

If the United States didn't have really weird stuff like ELECTING JUDGES or electing members of the state government, I'm sure ballots would be much shorter (also, some states seem to have referenda on approximately everything).
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 07:38:53 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2020, 07:53:09 AM by StateBoiler »

Let me share a story about my home state of North Carolina and how corrupt the North Carolina Democratic Party were.

North Carolina was a solidly Democratic state from the end of Reconstruction until the 1970s/1980s. Around that time the North Carolina Democratic Party started to hate the national Democratic Party. They knew they had a lot of voters that would vote reliably Democrat in state races but did not care for the likes of Mondale/Dukakis. So they setup a straight ticket device to where you had a free vote for President but you would then vote straight ticket for every other race on the ballot. That way you could vote for the Republican for president and Democrat for everything else. Or you could have voters that would just vote straight ticket thinking they were fine, but would not cast a vote for President. (There were instructions on the ballot clearly stating you must vote for President and then vote straight ticket if you wished. But I'm sure some voters did not pay attention.)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »

Texas Democratic Party just lost their suit to have the straight ticket device reinstated. The judge, an Obama appointee, said they did not demonstrate concrete injury and their argument it would lead to longer wait times at polling places due to taking longer to fill out a ballot was only speculative.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

60%. 30% on either side. Its the Keyes constant.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 09:42:09 AM »

Probably 70-90% of the electorate votes this way. Since 2000, neither party has received less than 45% of the national popular vote, and that probably isn't going to change this year (unfortunately). I am thankful that I am not among those voters who base their decisions strictly on partisan affiliation, as I've voted for candidates from both parties (and some third-party candidates as well).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »

This question is hard to answer, actually, as you can't just look at the totals, IMO.  Each election, there are chunks of the population who "swap" with each other (e.g., Romney-Clinton and Obama-Trump electorates) and then a chunk that pull another switch four years later depending on the total national environment (e.g., Obama-Trump voters coming home or further Romney-Trump-Biden switchers).

So, it's hard to come up with a good point in time to evaluate these people's willingness to vote for the other party.  For example, it's hard to know if a Romney-Clinton voter was a complete Republican hack until 2012 and Trump turned him off so vehemently that he left or if she was always sort of a "moderate conservative" who was primed to cross the aisle for the right (or wrong) candidate.  The group obviously consisted of both.  To answer super simplistically, I would say that in general about 80-85% of Republicans are unwaveringly loyal and 75-80% of Democrats are (though this might be shifting ... the Democratic Party isn't exactly the "big tent mess" it was when Will Rogers had his funny quote).  I'd say Independents are probably about 60-65% "hacks in disguise" and 35-40% swing voters (who still STRONGLY prefer one party over the other).  These are conservative estimates to avoid hyperbole.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 01:16:39 AM »

Most people, including most people on this site.

That's dumb, people on here have a near-obsessive focus on politics, most of us know a great deal about the candidates and the policies they support. This website is like the least likely forum you could say that about.

This question can also apply to, say, Democratic Party primary voters. I think "remembering a name from a bumper sticker 8 years ago" has the same energy as "voting based on letter next to the name."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »

You're allowed to bring a sample ballot into the booth with you to keep track of who you want to vote for.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies