Attn Atlasians: Forced Labor Isn't Good Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:17:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attn Atlasians: Forced Labor Isn't Good Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attn Atlasians: Forced Labor Isn't Good Amendment  (Read 932 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:13 AM »

This constitutional amendment has been passed by Congress and requires the support of at least 2/3 regions to be ratified.
FORCED LABOR ISN'T GOOD AMENDMENT

A RESOLUTION
Abolishes all forms of slavery and forced conscription in Atlasia

Be it resolved by two-thirds of each chamber that the Constitution be amended, as follows, upon ratification by the regions

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the "Forced Labor Isn't Good Amendment”.

SECTION 2.

Article I, Section 6, of the Fourth Constitution, is amended to read as follows:

Neither slavery, nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crimes of which the accused has been duly convicted, shall exist within the Republic of Atlasia, nor in any place under its jurisdiction, nor may any draft or other form of compulsory service be instituted, unless approved by a public referendum in all three regions with a sixty percent threshold. The President shall have the sole authority to authorize the draft referendum.
Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This amendment abolishes legalized forced labor (including forced prison labor) once and for good by striking out parts of the Constitution that allow it.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 6-3-0-0
X YE
People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-1-0-1 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

House of Representatives (amended version)
Passed 8-0-1-0 in the Atlasian House Assembled

President of Congress

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »

The title of this amendment led me to believe that we would be abolishing capitalism itself (as its inherent structure coerces and forces people into labor) and I was disappointed to find out this wasn’t the case.

Nevertheless, this reveals the inherent failure of the ruling government to make meaningful progress. It’s why we need a government of Real Change. Vote HCP/Sestak. It’s high time to get our act together.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »

Oh, sh**t. I'll do this alongside the Southern elections.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »

The first post indicates this passed the House the first time 6-3-0-0. It is wrong. When I look at the thread it's 6-2 and 1 abstention.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »

This is a terrible idea that might end up with the abolition of prisons altogether (going to prison is arguably involuntary servitude). Plus, as Poirot said in the very disappointingly sparse House debate, prison jobs help prisoners learn skills and integrate into society when released.

Vote nay.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:04:12 AM »

I don't support this amendment, and voted nay. I encourage others to do that as well.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »

I don't support this amendment, and voted nay. I encourage others to do that as well.

Esteemed Governor Jimmy, could you please explain your reasons for not supporting this amendment?

Thank you.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »

This is a terrible idea that might end up with the abolition of prisons altogether (going to prison is arguably involuntary servitude). Plus, as Poirot said in the very disappointingly sparse House debate, prison jobs help prisoners learn skills and integrate into society when released.

Vote nay.
If only it did abolish prisons, then it be perfect, but as it stands it’s worth passing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies