Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 28, 2020, 09:12:04 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (Primary) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: Torie, Senator ON Progressive)
  How Every County Voted - Part I: Alabama Edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How Every County Voted - Part I: Alabama Edition  (Read 551 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
YaBB God
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:10:50 am »
« edited: January 16, 2020, 04:44:36 am by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Hey y'all!

So in my travels around the internet, I noticed that there wasn't a comprehensive public source to find how each county voted during the 20th and 21st centuries -- at least not one that put everything in one place.  How many Goldwater-Clinton-Trump counties were there? What about FDR x4 counties - Obama - Trump counties?

I decided to undertake the task of mapping out how each county in each state has voted in that time period.  

Going alphabetically by state, we'll start with Alabama.  The following is a screenshot of a spreadsheet cataloguing all 67 counties in the state and the winner of each from 1904 onwards.  

My apologies for the small size of the text in the screenshot.  I plan on sharing the actual spreadsheet files once I work a few kinks out.  For now, click on the link below each image to see a blown-up version.

This is, of course, a pretty massive undertaking, but I will do my best to post each state as I finish it (I'll lump smaller states with fewer counties into single posts for simplicity) -- when my classes permit, of course Tongue

Please do let me know what you think -- whether it's great, alright, a complete waste of time, whatever -- as well as if you'd like to see more! Also let me know if you notice any glaring errors!

https://i.imgur.com/1nyoqvU.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/4R1C5IN.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/v59kurK.png?1

HIGHLIGHTS:

- While a vast majority of counties in Alabama were Goldwater-Wallace-Nixon, Dallas County went Goldwater-Nixon-McGovern (R-R-D).  Greene County and Sumter County went Goldwater-Humphrey-McGovern (R-D-D).    And Macon County was the only Unpledged-Humphrey-McGovern county (D-D-D).  

- From 1980-1984, numerous counties flipped from Carter-Reagan (D-R).  Only two counties (Cherokee and Walker) flipped from Reagan to Mondale (R-D).  

- From 1932-1944, Franklin D. Roosevelt swept all but one of the 67 counties in all four elections (264-3).  The lone three losses all came from the same county: solidly Republican Winston County.

**Whoops! Wilcox '72 should read McGovern
North Fulton Swing
mollybecky
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:24:20 am »

Thank you!  This is excellent and takes a lot of work. 

I don't know where you get the time to do it as a medical student.  I didn't when I was in medical school 30+ years ago, but back then, we didn't have the Internet.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
YaBB God
India

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:32:20 am »

Thank you!  This is excellent and takes a lot of work. 

I don't know where you get the time to do it as a medical student.  I didn't when I was in medical school 30+ years ago, but back then, we didn't have the Internet.

Neither do I, honestly! This is gonna be a super slow project, but I hope to keep it going!
Nutmeg
thepolitic
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 01:57:38 pm »

This is enormously cool, PQG!

Dallas and Montgomery stand out with their perfect flips from R to D, Dallas as the parties evolved and Montgomery a bit later.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
YaBB God
India

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 02:11:44 pm »
« Edited: January 13, 2020, 02:19:35 pm by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

This is enormously cool, PQG!

Dallas and Montgomery stand out with their perfect flips from R to D, Dallas as the parties evolved and Montgomery a bit later.

Thank you thank you!

Yeah, you also really see the "Carter Wall", separating many former Dixiecrat counties from their current Republican statuses.  

Also curious how the only county in the state to go for Nixon in '68 has voted Democratic ever since!
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 02:21:05 pm »

You should be proud of being able to do this while balancing med school coursework
Penn_Quaker_Girl
YaBB God
India

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 02:26:15 pm »

You should be proud of being able to do this while balancing med school coursework

Oh, it's something I've been working on for a while now and I only really made progress while on break.  Like I said, this is going to be a long-term project - I may not be done with all of the States by Election Day this year. 

But thank you!
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: 3.29, S: -1.30

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:45 pm »

That's nice, you must be putting a ton of effort. Be sure to share it elsewhere too.
gracile
YaBB God
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 05:02:58 pm »

I appreciate the work you put into this Penn_Quaker_Girl - these charts are quite informative!
Old School Republican
Computer89
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -0.10

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 05:53:54 pm »

Oh, it's something I've been working on for a while now and I only really made progress while on break.  Like I said, this is going to be a long-term project - I may not be done with all of the States by Election Day this year. 

But thank you!

I would suggest sending a PM to NoVA Green as he has a lot of data on election results and he could help you with this project and save you time as well .

Also great job So far
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 06:18:13 am »

Are those Dallas County results correct for 1968 and 1972? I thought Nixon didn't win a single county in Alabama in 1968.
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 07:11:48 pm »

Are those Dallas County results correct for 1968 and 1972? I thought Nixon didn't win a single county in Alabama in 1968.
Yeah it voted Wallace 68/Nixon 72. Been straight Dem ever since.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:02:02 pm »

The Atlas has Autauga going for Wallace.   What source are you using?
Bagel23
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 10:17:54 pm »

I opened this thread thinking it was gonna be like some election twitter like maps :/
Penn_Quaker_Girl
YaBB God
India

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 04:44:13 am »

The Atlas has Autauga going for Wallace.   What source are you using?

Ah, you're right! Off to a great start lol. 
АverroŽs 🦉
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:49 am »

This is amazing! I will continue to follow with interest.

For anyone interested in maps, creating some will be trivial compared to the work involved in collating these data after PQG shares her spreadsheets. There's no way to arrange this information geographically without losing something, though. A spreadsheet with colored cells probably beats any other data visualization for getting all of this in one view.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies