A Time of War - Sign-up & Rules Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:10:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Time of War - Sign-up & Rules Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Time of War - Sign-up & Rules Thread  (Read 1494 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
« edited: January 18, 2020, 09:32:08 PM by Congrats Senator Manny Sethi »

A TIME OF WAR

Source : Made by Kingpoleon

The Cast:

Tier 1 : The Best Players

Emperor Leopold I von Habsburg (Holy Roman Empire)
Queen Anne Stuart (England and Scotland)
King Karl I von Hohenzollern (Prussia-Poland) [GoTFan]
Tsar Peter I Romanov (Russia)
King Phillip V de Bourbon (Spain)
King Louis XIV de Bourbon (France) [Dr_Novella]
King Charles XII von Palatinate-Zweibrücken (Sweden) [Kingpoleon]

Tier 2 : Regular Players

Prince of Orange John William Friso von Orange-Nassau (Dutch Republic)
King Peter II de Braganza (Kingdom of Portugal) [King Saul]
King Frederick IV von Oldenburg (Kingdom of Denmark and Norway)
Prince-Elector Maximilian II Emanuel von Wittelsbach (Bavaria) [iBizzBee]
Elector Augustus II von Wettin (Saxony)
Sultan Mustafa II Ottoman (Ottoman Empire) [Atlas Politician]

Tier 3 : Open for Everyone

Duke Victor Amadaeus II de Savoy (Duchy of Savoy)
More will be open once the first seven nations are taken

The Year is 1701

War has consumed Europe.

Europe’s war goes continent wide due to the issue of succession of Charles II of Spain. At the same time, a second War has emerged in the Eastern part of Europe to deal with the Swedish Empire and Russia’s western ambitions

Two Major Coalitions have formed in the war, with one side supporting the French Born Claimant Phillip and the other supporting the German Born Claimant Charles. This, combined with Russian Tsar Peter’s hope to expand west and get a warm water port and King Charles XII of Sweden’s plans to repay the Swedish humiliations in the Scanian War three decades ago against Prussia, has become the reason why Europe is tearing itself apart in two wars that may change the continent for centuries to come.

At the same time, the Ottomans and Persians in the Middle East eye each other suspiciously, wary of a war.

A time of War has spread across the European Continent and the World.

What nation will come out on top?

Current Wars

War of the Spanish Succession

France, Spain, Bavaria, and Savoy v Holy Roman Empire, England and Scotland, and Dutch Republic

Great Northern War

Sweden and Saxony v Russia and Prussia-Poland

The rules are the following (They will be borrowed from Lumine’s Dance of Death Game)

1. Turns : We will follow the Dynasties and Empires model (applied in BoP/SoD/DoD, and in the Concert/Encore duology) as players play turns of a year (with mid-turn updates), react to ongoing crises and events and post their policies, moves and reactions to what other players do. The Game starts in July of 1701 (when the War of the Spanish Succession started) and history is, of course, considered to have gone as it did before that.

2. Messages : Secret messages between the players must include the GM, all of them. Assuming conversations take place off the forum I will insist on receiving some sort of summary of what is being discussed, in order to follow the events in a proper manner. There may or may not be a Discord server for the game depending on player interest.

4. Historical Events: By now players know my strong preference for the dice system, but there will be a small degree of involvement for the random number generator on a number of factors and potential events that might increase unpredictability in the game. There will be Special Events, giving players a specific number of days to react to the particular situation. Players are encouraged to propose events to simulate as well.

5. Stats and Warfare : The stats for each player will be focused on "Popularity", "Legitimacy" and "Economic Status". As Professional Armies exist in this time period, they will be what win wars. While the majority of these types of forces will be in the Old World, the New World will be allowed to have some professional force of their own. Considering the war of this time period were getting particularly violent, expect wars to have massive losses in certain battles.

6. Game Over : Game Over can come in three ways: Being deposed by another player (Invasion scenario), being deposed in a coup or revolt (Revolt Scenario) or having your dynasty die out or lack an heir to continue playing (Dynasty Scenario). Having your monarch die even by enemy action won't be by itself a Game Over and the player will retain preference to continue playing said nation should he wish to do so. Potentially, the death of a monarch under a complex succession scenario could trigger a war for the succession of that throne. The situation for Spain will be dealt with separately since the start of the game is already starting out with the succession war for that kingdom.

7. Players, Nations and Simulation : NPC countries will be simulated as always, but the amount of information I can provide will be very limited, to represent both the limited amount of information reasonably available to the character being played and to avoid giving too much of an advantage to players as GM. Questions such as "What does NPC Nation want in return for this?" or "What would happen if I did X" will either not bring an answer or a very limited one.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »

I'd be down to join as France
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:07:16 PM »

Granted. If at least 4 more players join by the end of the week, I believe we can start the game.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »

May I join as Prussia?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »

Granted.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »

Thanks!

This is actually kinda personal for me because most of my family is Prussian/German.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 11:14:34 PM »

I would like to play Sweden.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:48:34 PM »

Granted
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »

May I ask about the situation in Prussia + Poland? Is Karl von Hohenzollern an alt-history character?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 11:53:25 PM »

May I ask about the situation in Prussia + Poland? Is Karl von Hohenzollern an alt-history character?

Karl von Hohenzollern is the First born son of Frederick William the Great Elector and was his original heir until he died of a bout of dysentery in 1674. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles,_Electoral_Prince_of_Brandenburg
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 12:56:39 AM »

Karl von Hohenzollern is the First born son of Frederick William the Great Elector and was his original heir until he died of a bout of dysentery in 1674. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles,_Electoral_Prince_of_Brandenburg

I didn't even catch that at first. Any other alt-history stuff we should know about?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 01:00:14 AM »

I didn't even catch that at first. Any other alt-history stuff we should know about?

Only real thing is that Prussia-Poland has close ties to the HRE as Karl is married to Leopold's sister Maria Josepha and they've agreed that the heir of Prussia-Poland will be the HRE heir should Leopold not have any surviving sons.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »

We just need 2-4 more players to start the game. I've already written the 1701 crisis for France, Prussia-Poland, and Sweden to deal with as well the size of their land forces. If anyone is interested in co-hosting the game, feel free to message me here or on Discord.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »

I wish you all the best. I won't have time to participate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »

Although obviously my heart is with kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »

I wish you all the best. I won't have time to participate.

Fair enough, Windjammer. There'll be a spot open for you if you can find a time to play however. Smiley
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 11:40:47 AM »

May I take Bavaria?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

Granted. Now we just need one more player before we can start the game, unless everyone wants to start now.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »

I think, in order of importance, we need:

1. Spain
2. Britain
3. Russia
4. HRE
5. Ottomans
6. Denmark-Norway

I think we should at least wait until one of these is taken to start.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »

I think, in order of importance, we need:

1. Spain
2. Britain
3. Russia
4. HRE
5. Ottomans
6. Denmark-Norway

I think we should at least wait until one of these is taken to start.

Fair enough. I'll be working on the crisis for all of them, Though the Ottomans and Denmark-Norway will admittedly have less of a concern from me then the other nations. It'll be a just in case scenario.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »

I have next to no idea what’s going on, but I’ll take a throw with the Duchy of Savoy.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »

I have next to no idea what’s going on, but I’ll take a throw with the Duchy of Savoy.

The situation is basically the original War of the Spanish Succession and Great Northern War with a minor change being the survival of Charles Emil of B-P and him ruling Prussia and Poland. I'll grant you Savoy, even if I'd recommend you take one of the six nations Kingpoleon recommended so we can start.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:45 PM »

The situation is basically the original War of the Spanish Succession and Great Northern War with a minor change being the survival of Charles Emil of B-P and him ruling Prussia and Poland. I'll grant you Savoy, even if I'd recommend you take one of the six nations Kingpoleon recommended so we can start.
I meant more gameplay wise. If I can, however, I’d like to be the Ottoman Empire.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »

I meant more gameplay wise. If I can, however, I’d like to be the Ottoman Empire.

Alright, let me write the crises for the ottomans real quick and then we can start the game.

A note to all players, I have no ideas what the navy sizes were for this time frame so I apologize in advance and for the troop numbers, I'm taking them from what I found on Wikipedia (except for Pr-Po, where I guesstimated). If any of you have knowledge of the size of the major powers' navies, please feel free to message me and I'll put it in.

Once the gameplay thread is posted, I'll make a royal families thread so we can keep track of who is who and who has who's hand in marriage, etc, etc.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »

I apologize if the size of the forces seem rather pitiful/ludicrous. My sources for the sizes were guesstimates I made from looking at Wikipedia. A few of these nations, like Bavaria, the Ottomans, and the Prusso-Polish because in the case of Bavaria, their numbers were combined with that of Spain's on the WotSS infobox, there is no numbers for the Ottoman Strength from the GTW, which I would've used to more accurately guess the size of the military in 1701, and for Prussia-Poland because it had a different history as opposed to the rest of Europe in this time period.

The first turn ends on the 30th with a mid-turn update on the 23rd. I'll try and do the royal families asap. If anyone wants to join now, I'll message you the Turn I crises that I've written out for the unchosen great powers. Until then, I'll have control of the nations that haven't been selected as of yet. Enjoy the turn, everyone!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies