Male Student Wins Fight to Wear Skirt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:19:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Male Student Wins Fight to Wear Skirt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Male Student Wins Fight to Wear Skirt  (Read 1666 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »

School uniforms would easily solve problems like this.

I agree, but then you'd have the ACLU calling out massive discrimination against "freedom of expression."

That's where the state should step in and remind the ACLU that the students are in a controlled environment and "expression" is not a right the students have.  Hence the reason why there are already existing dress and conduct codes.

It's never been challenged here. And if it would I doubt anyone would actually care to listen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 03:33:22 AM »

Good for him...though I wouldn't want to wear a skirt, if he does, then I hope he gets that chance.  What difference does it make?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »

I agree, but then you'd have the ACLU calling out massive discrimination against "freedom of expression."

That's where the state should step in and remind the ACLU that the students are in a controlled environment and "expression" is not a right the students have.  Hence the reason why there are already existing dress and conduct codes.

You're totally right, MODU.  The whole 'freedom of expression' thing with respect to school is a red herring.  School is and has to be a controlled environment if any learning is to take place. 

Of course, the liberal education policy since the 1960s has been to remove all ability from the schools to control the environment, then lament the fact that proper education is not taking place as a result of that (as well as other things supported by liberals, like unaccountability for incompetent teachers and administrators), and demand more and more money to be spent on education as a 'cure' for the problems they created in the first place.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 08:00:07 AM »

You're totally right, MODU.  The whole 'freedom of expression' thing with respect to school is a red herring.  School is and has to be a controlled environment if any learning is to take place. 

Hah, a typical conservative view of 'education' - an indoctrination in conformity.  No one is questioning the need for order - such as students remaining in their seats, listening to the teacher etc., but how does a boy wearing a dress effect that? 

An important part of education is skepticism - questioning authority - and what most right wingers envision is quite the opposite.  I would agree this is an appropriate conditioning for slaves, but I thought the pretense was that American citizens were 'free'?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 12:37:01 PM »

Hah, a typical conservative view of 'education' - an indoctrination in conformity.  No one is questioning the need for order - such as students remaining in their seats, listening to the teacher etc., but how does a boy wearing a dress effect that? 

An important part of education is skepticism - questioning authority - and what most right wingers envision is quite the opposite.  I would agree this is an appropriate conditioning for slaves, but I thought the pretense was that American citizens were 'free'?

You've said many times that we're not free.  That's why you live in Thailand, except when you need to mooch, at which point you swallow your pride, sell what little of a soul that you have, and come home.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies