Without the 22nd, 2008 Election Night Coverage and Beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:08:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Without the 22nd, 2008 Election Night Coverage and Beyond
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Without the 22nd, 2008 Election Night Coverage and Beyond  (Read 857 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:12:22 AM »

Coming Soon
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »

I'm into this.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »

W gets clobbered. Sounds great. Go on.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »

W gets clobbered. Sounds great. Go on.
Imagine a W vs. Obama race. Hell, I’d vote for Obama (or maybe McKinney) in that mashup!
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »

I’d vote for Obama in a heartbeat
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:52 AM »

maybe it could be Bush vs Bill Clinton(say the 22nd was repealed in 2002 or 2003, and Bill didnt run in 2004 due to health issues but in 2008 he decides to run)
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:57 AM »

Here's a guess / potential scenario

Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) / Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) 54.9% 394 EV
President George W. Bush (R-TX) / Former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 40.6% 144 EV

Bill Clinton declines to run for a third term - Hillary Clinton loses the first three states to Barack Obama and drops out by Super Tuesday, resulting in a briefer, less contentious Democratic primary. Obama, having cleaned up in the primaries, feels less pressure to pick a centrist like Joe Biden and chooses a more progressive running mate in Russ Feingold.

Dick Cheney announces his retirement in January 2008, stating he'll only stay as VP until Bush's second term concludes. Bush chooses former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas as his running mate. Commentators left and right criticize the decision, saying it would be more appropriate to choose someone with more foreign policy experience than Huckabee, whose socially conservative positions alienate voters. The recession hits heavy in September 2008 as IRL, but Bush is even more unpopular than McCain by election day, losing in a landslide to Obama.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »

What would have been more interesting would have been 1988, 2000, and 2016. We all knew that 2008 would go the way it went, especially after 2008. The only two things that kept 2008 interesting at all was that 1)we were still unsure of any "Bradley Effect" there would be and 2)Democrats had developed a reputation of campaigning poorly in presidential years.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2020, 11:03:35 AM by #Split California In 4 »

Introduction to Election Night Coverage:

Almost everyone believed it to be nearly inevitable that the challenger, Senator of Illinois Barack Obama would end up victorious over the incumbent president, George W Bush, who was running for a 3rd term, the 1st president to do so since Franklin Roosevelt. There were still many unknowns that people were wondering about, even among those who fully expected Obama to win easily. Could Democrats take a fillibuster-proof Senate super-majority? The most optimistic Democrats thought it possible that they could even take a veto-proof majority in Congress. All knew that the bigger a Democratic majority in Congress was, the more they could get through Congress. And as the results started to come in, things were looking good... very very good for team Obama.

Look at all this too close to call in deeply Republican states. There is Kentucky, where although Bush leads, his lead looks to be pitifully small. In Indiana, Obama actually leads in this state that has not went Democratic since 1964. The only state we can call for sure at this point is Vermont for Obama, a stark contrast to 2004 when we could call several states for Bush at this time. All signs are pointing to a rough night for Bush and Republicans.

In the Senate, we can only call 1 state here. In Virginia, Democrats already have a pickup as Mark Warner has flipped this Senate seat to the Democrats. In Kentucky, Democrats hoping to defeat Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and are currently leading. In South Carolina and Georgia, we are also seeing competitive races, although keep in mind that there will be a December runoff in Georgia if nobody takes a majority tonight. Overall, Democrats are hoping that they take at least 9 pickups tonight, because if they do, then they will have a filibuster proof Senate majority, allowing them to pass legislation and cloture votes without a single Republican vote.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 11:54:27 AM »

What would have been more interesting would have been 1988, 2000, and 2016. We all knew that 2008 would go the way it went, especially after 2008. The only two things that kept 2008 interesting at all was that 1)we were still unsure of any "Bradley Effect" there would be and 2)Democrats had developed a reputation of campaigning poorly in presidential years.
I will get to 2016 soon enough.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »

That starts looking awesome.

maybe it could be Bush vs Bill Clinton(say the 22nd was repealed in 2002 or 2003, and Bill didnt run in 2004 due to health issues but in 2008 he decides to run)

Who would you have voted for in 2008 if it was Dubya vs. Obama?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

That starts looking awesome.

Who would you have voted for in 2008 if it was Dubya vs. Obama?

Obama , Bush by 2008 was a complete and total disaster and he didn’t deserve to get another term at all . Trump despite me disliking him more than Bush is much better than Bush results wise and even policy wise (he hasn’t gotten us into war , and his tax reform was much much better than Bush’s and his economic policies as a whole is better as well). Bush by 2008 had to go and I would definitely vote for Obama to make that happen .

Heck I would consider voting for Obama in OTL as after the crash , the GOP didn’t deserve to have another term in the WH . Now I still may and probably likely  have voted for McCain cause I like McCain more than Obama and his policies far more , but it would depend strictly on what type of mindset I’m in on Election Day : If I am voting based on whether I think the GOP should be re-elected or not , the answer is I would go with Obama , but if I’m voting based mainly on what I think of the candidates I would vote for McCain .

So in OTL I would be a swing or Lean McCain voter but in this scenario I would definitely be for Obama

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »

I wonder how much better Dems do down ballot. The presidential landslide will be interesting. Honestly, it is kind of impressive that McCain didn't lose by more.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies