Clinton says "nobody likes" Sanders and calls him a "career politician"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:33:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Clinton says "nobody likes" Sanders and calls him a "career politician"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Clinton says "nobody likes" Sanders and calls him a "career politician"  (Read 9678 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2020, 06:44:57 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

That story just has people saying they're impressed with his campaign.  None of them endorsed him except his Vermont co-senator.

The one-page VA bill was addressed above.

Clinton's claim was that "Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him." This is demonstrably untrue, Sanders has a role on the Senate Democratic Caucus leadership team!

“There was a question in my mind of whether he could get back up on the bicycle after four years. But he’s off to a solid start,” said Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the second-ranking Democrat and a staunch Clinton supporter in 2016. “I know Bernie, I’ve worked with Bernie. I understand him. People have images of him, which may be different than mine. But if you’re asking me about Bernie Sanders vs. Donald Trump? No problem.”

“I certainly hear out in the political world a lot of concern [about Sanders]. I don’t hear a lot of that internally,” one Democratic senator said. Democrats “look at him differently because he’s not running against Hillary Clinton. He’s a major player in the party in a way that he wasn’t [in 2016]. He looked like a quixotic candidate. It’s not like people are sitting around thinking about how to keep the nomination from him” this time.

And when Clinton isn't ready to say she would support him against Trump:

All other [than Manchin] Democrats interviewed for this story said they would support Sanders if he becomes the nominee.

If Democratic Senators can say that, why can't Clinton? If her rationale for refusing to is because his Senate colleagues don't like Sanders, why are they more willing to say they would endorse Sanders as the nominee than she is?

Clinton is letting bitter feelings over the 2016 campaign cloud her judgement.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »

Every time she opens her mouth it's a good thing for Sanders and Trump

Hillary of all peple saying nobody likes him. LOL. Nobody likes you, moron.

Lots of people like Hillary, which is why her comments are unhelpful. Party unity will be incredibly important come November and we cant afford to relitigate the 2016 primary every couple of months.
Agreed. These comments from Hillary are extremely ill-advised, and this is coming from an ardent Hillary supporter. Party unity is of the upmost importance, and she should know that better than anyone. If Bernie is the nominee we need to all support him.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »

That story just has people saying they're impressed with his campaign.  None of them endorsed him except his Vermont co-senator.

Clinton's claim was that "Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him." This is demonstrably untrue, Sanders has a role on the Senate Democratic Caucus leadership team!

“There was a question in my mind of whether he could get back up on the bicycle after four years. But he’s off to a solid start,” said Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the second-ranking Democrat and a staunch Clinton supporter in 2016. “I know Bernie, I’ve worked with Bernie. I understand him. People have images of him, which may be different than mine. But if you’re asking me about Bernie Sanders vs. Donald Trump? No problem.”

“I certainly hear out in the political world a lot of concern [about Sanders]. I don’t hear a lot of that internally,” one Democratic senator said. Democrats “look at him differently because he’s not running against Hillary Clinton. He’s a major player in the party in a way that he wasn’t [in 2016]. He looked like a quixotic candidate. It’s not like people are sitting around thinking about how to keep the nomination from him” this time.

And when Clinton isn't ready to say she would support him against Trump:

All other [than Manchin] Democrats interviewed for this story said they would support Sanders if he becomes the nominee.

If Democratic Senators can say that, why can't Clinton? If her rationale for refusing to is because his Senate colleagues don't like Sanders, why are they more willing to say they would endorse Sanders as the nominee than she is?

Clinton is letting bitter feelings over the 2016 campaign cloud her judgement.

I don't actually know what the question was that prompted Clinton to answer that but she should be clear that she will support Sanders over Trump if he is the nominee in 2020.  That's a position I've consistently held on this board and I fully agree with anyone criticizing Clinton for that statement.

Bernie being on various committees is just a function of his tenure, not of his effectiveness or people actually wanting to work with him.

And yes, of course other senators will occasionally be gracious when asked by the media about him and say nice things.  That's just basic Senate collegiality.  You'll note that Dick Durbin hasn't actually endorsed Sanders or moved to work on any legislation with him.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »

Actually, now that I've found the transcript, I see the question was asking Clinton whether she would commit to campaigning for him, and I think her non-committal answer to that was appropriate.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »

New rule: Trump supporters don't get to determine who's progressive and who isn't.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »

You were literally #NeverWarren not even a week ago.

I have no idea who this random Donut Twitter guy is but if he's actually posted anywhere that he wouldn't vote for Sanders in a general, f*** him.

But I don't see that, all I see is him calling the Sanders people out for accusing everyone else of not supporting Sanders in a GE when he's under attack, then turning around and saying "I'd never vote for Biden" or "I'd never vote for Warren."

Just go look at the presidential preferences thread.  I think every single person there who says they "wouldn't vote for X if nominated" is a Sanders supporter.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »

Ironic of Hillary Clinton to say "nobody likes Sanders" considering she was the second most disliked nominee in the history of American presidential nominees, only barely ahead of Trump!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »

You literally acknowledged a week ago I wasn't #NeverWarren.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »

You literally acknowledged a week ago I wasn't #NeverWarren, you lying sack of ****.

Ah you're right, I'm misremembering.

Hard to keep track of which Bernie Bros were explicitly #NeverWarren and which just called her a lying bitch and the worst person ever and swore they'd never forgive her.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »

You literally acknowledged a week ago I wasn't #NeverWarren, you lying sack of ****.

Ah you're right, I'm misremembering.

Hard to keep track of which Bernie Bros were explicitly #NeverWarren and which just called her a lying bitch and the worst person ever and swore they'd never forgive her.

And it's hard to remember which things you said about me are misconceptions or lies, so I guess we're even.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »

What the f*** are you doing, Hillary!? What do you have to gain from this!? There was a better way to answer that question! Have you seen how Sanders supporters reacted to you in 2016, and are going to in an even worse fashion now!?

I'm usually a Clinton defender, and I usually welcome her recent attitude of not giving a f*** over these past few years, but this statement is just not good for the party and its ability to unite going forward. She is just galvanizing Sanders supporters behind him, and even making me, someone who is probably not going to vote for him and is often critical of him, having to defend him.

I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and suggest that when she says "unlikable" she is referring to him as a person rather than a politician, which is possible. He comes across as a curmudgeon and sourpuss to me oftentimes. Its one of many reasons why his appeal as a personality is so alien to me. But that's not very helpful to say either, because as a politician, like it or not, he is "likable" to voters to the point of being one of the two Democrats with the best chance at being nominated while also beating Trump in many general election polls. Even with her thinking this, did she have to say it out loud? Also doesn't she recognize the hypocrisy with how often she's been slapped with the "unlikable" label? Some things are better left unsaid, even if you aren't necessarily in a position to face real consequences from it, like running for office.

The career politicians criticism, used against anyone, has never been a concern that resonated with me either. I don't care what a politician's background is, for the most part, as long as I believe in what they want to accomplish and pursue. Clinton was a career politicians for a while too, so again, there's a real lack of self-awareness here.

So this was very disappointing to hear out of her. As I said before, I am usually not one to feel obligated to defend Sanders, but this sort of criticism was just petty. She's probably dis-invited from speaking at the convention if Sanders gets nominated too.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »

If Sanders can't unify the party if he gets the nomination that is his problem, not Hillary Clinton's. She has not control over whether or not he can defeat Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »

The career politicians criticism, used against anyone, has never been a concern that resonated with me either. I don't care what a politician's background is, for the most part, as long as I believe in what they want to accomplish and pursue. Clinton was a career politicians for a while too, so again, there's a real lack of self-awareness here.

I think the context of that quote was saying he's a career politician but he can't get anything done or make any friends.

It's not criticizing him for being a career politician, it's saying if you're gonna be a career politician you should at least have one single friend in Congress, or one single piece of meaningful legislation.  Sanders has neither.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2020, 07:58:44 PM »

If Sanders can't unify the party if he gets the nomination that is his problem, not Hillary Clinton's. She has not control over whether or not he can defeat Trump.
Well Hillary saying things like this makes it near damn impossible for unity. This is the exact same argument the Sandernistas used in 2016 against Hillary. It wasn’t valid then and it isn’t valid now. Party unity takes politicians from across the party.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »

Projecting
James Monroe

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

Ironic of Hillary Clinton to say "nobody likes Sanders" considering she was the second most disliked nominee in the history of American presidential nominees, only barely ahead of Trump!

Hillary Clinton won more voters in the primary than Bernie Sanders did. Nothing will ever deputed her unpopularity quite like her polling numbers with numerous Democratic constituents. That with true Blue Democrats who fight tool and nails to protect the party from incoming attacks from Republicans and Bernie Sanders.

She's earned the right to speak her mind, don't you forget that.
Cinemark

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »

Well Hillary saying things like this makes it near damn impossible for unity. This is the exact same argument the Sandernistas used in 2016 against Hillary. It wasn’t valid then and it isn’t valid now. Party unity takes politicians from across the party.

Ehh, I think there are plenty of salty Hillary Clinton democrats. But I doubt more than a small sliver of them are going to vote against Sanders if he's the nominee.
Cinemark

« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »

If anyone was paying attention, Hillary tweeted:

So, like, can we all settle down and focus on the important stuff.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2020, 08:28:31 PM »

She just gave a million people cover to defect without anybody being able to make a moral objection in November. And let's be honest: she probably wants that (after all, the 2020 Democratic nominee losing to Trump would make her look like less of a failure in relative terms, plus the act of pure spite is not something that has ever been above the Clintons).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »

If anyone was paying attention, Hillary tweeted:

So, like, can we all settle down and focus on the important stuff.

I never doubted her on supporting the eventual nominee. I just think that she failed to realize how her words might make that tougher for her and the democratic electorate to do though.

She just gave a million people cover to defect without anybody being able to make a moral objection in November. And let's be honest: she probably wants that (after all, the 2020 Democratic nominee losing to Trump would make her look like less of a failure in relative terms, plus the act of pure spite is not something that has ever been above the Clintons).

Come on, she's not that cynical. I mean maybe she'll internalize how she may wish it was her who was elected instead, if a Democrat pulls off a victory in November but I think she truly understands the stakes of this coming election.
Cinemark

« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2020, 08:36:18 PM »

Ahh, come on now. No reason to be paranoid. She'll endorse Sanders if he's the nominee, probably give a heartfelt speech at the convention and no one will remember come November.

It seems like a general trend I've noticed with Sanders supporters is tendency to catastrophize things. Happened last week after the Warren thing too. Sanders is fine, his campaign is fine, his chances in November are fine. A story that got almost no play on network TV and almost no retail space on websites wont mean anything in a week, let alone ten months.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2020, 08:52:41 PM by Georgia Is A Swing State »

Bernie Sanders sending volunteers to canvass armed with negative talking points if a voter supports Biden, Warren, and Pete is good for unity?

This thread has been hilarious. The truth sounds like hate when you don’t want to hear it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »

Y'all gonna hate this tweet...

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »

I'll note that this thread has like 100+ replies and I can't find any posts disputing the actual substance of what Hillary said:

A) Sanders has (virtually) no friends in the Senate, and never has

B) He's never accomplished anything of note

C) He is a "career politician"

Instead it's six pages of "shut your f***ing mouth, bitch, you lost and everyone hates you."

I see you missed my reply on the first page which has 9 recommendations

"Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done," Clinton told the Hollywood Reporter as a part of the upcoming Hulu documentary on the former secretary of state. "He was a career politician. It's all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it."

I see no lies here.

He's part of the Senate Democratic Caucus leadership team and was chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Committee where he worked with John McCain to co-author a bill on veteran's health, so it's obviously untrue that no-one likes Sanders or wants to work with him. Clinton is projecting her own feelings onto Sanders' colleagues in the Senate with whom he gets on fairly well.

That story just has people saying they're impressed with his campaign.  None of them endorsed him except his Vermont co-senator.

Actually Leahy endorsed Clinton. It was Jeff Merkley who endorsed Sanders.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »

The double standards here are amazing...

Bernie ran a kamikaze smear campaign against Hillary.  He should be ashamed of himself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies