Law & Order- US Vs UK
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:16:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Law & Order- US Vs UK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Law & Order- US Vs UK  (Read 11796 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 11:05:06 PM »

Or at least like a populist or some other non-leftie ideology... Smiley

You're sounding like a Republican, English Smiley

Labour are more anti-gun than the Tories, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Both are vehemently opposed to fire-arms.
I have changed my attitude about the gun isssue. For the simple reason. What is achieved by stopping genuine gun enthusiasts from owning weapons? Nothing!
The dangerous people are the criminals, and they get their weapons illegally anyway. Britain is awash with guns and probably 90% are illegal, it is these people who the government should be clamping down on, not law abiding folk.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2004, 12:47:04 AM »

In the US or at least here in Florida if you shoot a burglar in the back after he has left your house you will be charged.

Ah yes, but in Texas you can do it without repercussions, I believe.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2004, 01:03:27 AM »

Drunk driving fines in this country are outrageous as well. If you get slapped with a DUI it will cost you at LEAST 4k dollars. The Blood Alcohol level is way to low to. It's .08 here in Florida. A shot of whiskey and a beer will put you over the limit.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2004, 11:56:58 AM »

Two units of alcohol (equivilant to a pint, two small glasses of wine, or two spirit measures) is the legal limit in Britain. I think this is a good benchmark, really, nobody who has been drinking should be driving, however accomodations need to be made for people who finished drinking several hours ago (and has hence gone below the limit but not metabolised all the alcohol) and for the odd drink.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2004, 12:07:11 PM »

Two units of alcohol (equivilant to a pint, two small glasses of wine, or two spirit measures) is the legal limit in Britain. I think this is a good benchmark, really, nobody who has been drinking should be driving, however accomodations need to be made for people who finished drinking several hours ago (and has hence gone below the limit but not metabolised all the alcohol) and for the odd drink.

I agree with Peter.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2004, 01:35:27 AM »

I agree with Peter.

So if a man or woman goes out with his family to the local steak house and gets a beer or two they have no right to drive? Give me a break that is pushing it way to far.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2004, 06:00:47 PM »

*whistles*

no guns-and no need for them either

*whistles*

low crime

*whistles*

an effective legal system

*innocently whistles and walks away*

Actually,  Australia has also seen its violent crime rates soar after its Port Arthur gun control measures in late 1996. Violent crime rates averaged 32 per cent higher in the six years after the law was passed (from 1997 to 2002) than they did the year before the law in 1996. The same comparisons for armed robbery rates showed increases of 45 percent.  Just informing people here of the fact that gun control does not necessarily reduce crime.

We still have eceptionally low crime-especially compared to the US.

crime in my state, Victoria, has dropped by a third snce 1999, when our current state government came into power, and whilst violnt crime has risen, it is still extremely low. Most of the increase has been due to the 'gangland ar' that has killed 28 mobsters and no civilians. Most of us support this war Cheesy

I also never said that the gun ban was responsible for the low crime, although I feel alot safer knowing that there isn't going to be another Port Arthur.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies