Law & Order- US Vs UK (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Law & Order- US Vs UK (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Law & Order- US Vs UK  (Read 11913 times)
English

« on: May 19, 2004, 04:53:25 PM »

On this topic I support the US approach.

Justice in the UK is a laughing stock. Our courts support the criminals over the victims in virtually all cases. You are not allowed to protect your property OR your family. You cannot even use force to prevent unlawful access to your home. Whatsmore, if a criminal is injured trying to force access, on broken glass for instance, they can sue the home owner!!
UK justice stinks!
Personally I believe you should be able to use any force necessary to protect your home or family. The US has got it right.
English

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 05:13:52 PM »

In the US though, the criminal would probably get laughed out of court. In the UK however, the court invariably sides with the sc*mbag.
I've heard of cases were home-owners have been sued by burglars! Can you believe it?
You can own a gun in the UK, but it's not easy. You have to jump through hoops to get a licence. Of course the criminals have no problems getting them. I'm sure at the moment the criminals are better armed than the police!

As I said, the law & order situation in Britain is barmy.

1) The police here need to carry firearms.
2) Homeowners should be able to kill intruders if absolutely necessary. At the very least they should be able to disable them.
3) Courts should favour the victims NOT the criminals.
4) Parents should be allowed to defend their families by any means necessary.
5) Prisons should be exactly that, not 5 star hotels like some places.
English

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 05:36:48 PM »

Overall crime in the UK is perhaps 3 times higher than in the US. Homicide is much lower and rape I believe, but for everything else, including violence against the person the rate is very high. Petty crime & anti-social behavior is at calamitous proportions.

The Tories claim to be the party of law and order, but this rarely translates into action. They cut police numbers are against arming officers.

We need to at least double the number of police and all police should be armed with guns.
English

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:55:19 AM »

Labour are more anti-gun than the Tories, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Both are vehemently opposed to fire-arms.
I have changed my attitude about the gun isssue. For the simple reason. What is achieved by stopping genuine gun enthusiasts from owning weapons? Nothing!
The dangerous people are the criminals, and they get their weapons illegally anyway. Britain is awash with guns and probably 90% are illegal, it is these people who the government should be clamping down on, not law abiding folk.
English

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 05:07:15 AM »

Britain's crime & murder rates however, are MUCH lower than the U.S rates

Not really. For certain crimes such as homicide and rape, yes the rates in the UK are much lower (although they are increasing). For everything else rates in the UK are higher or much higher. Car theft in Britain is the highest in the world, burglary is 2nd highest. Other petty crimes such as theft, minor assaults and mindless vandalism are rampant. Put it this way. I feel safer walking around New York than I do in many UK cities. Britain suffers from an all pervasive yob culture at the moment which the US does not, or doesn't appear to suffer from. It's highly unlikely you will murdered in the UK, however the chances of being verbally abused, assaulted or mugged are probably much higher in the UK than US. The main reason is alcohol. Brits drink VERY heavily indeed!
English

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 04:59:51 AM »

On what points have I blown things out of proportion?

Regarding that Martin guy, yes I admit he was unbalanced, however if you look at the history of this case it's perhaps understandable! His property was subject to continual vandalism and theft and the authorities did nothing. It would drive anyone insane!
There is no wonder 'Little Englanders' are so up in arms about crime, that's because NOTHING is ever done about it! Criminals just run riot with complete impunity.
Perhaps if people thought the authorities were on THEIR side there wouldn't be such animosity towards petty theives etc. and people wouldn't come out wielding shotguns.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies