S.20.1: the election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.1: the election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.1: the election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker  (Read 681 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »

Nominations run for 48 hours.

I nominate myself for Speaker.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

I nominate PragPop for deputy speaker.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:25:54 PM »

I second Tim Turner's nomination for speaker.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:51 PM »

I accept the nomination for deputy speaker.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »

I third the nomination for speaker.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »

TimTurner has won the Speakership and PragPop the Deputy Speakership, since their nominations went uncontested.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »

Calling on the Speaker to put some legislation to the floor.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »

Calling on the Speaker to put some legislation to the floor.

I motion to bring legislation to the floor.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »

also asking the Speaker to bring legislation to the floor. We have 5 bills that are just sitting around. Come on people!
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2020, 06:14:11 PM by Southern Delegate Spark »

Motion of No Confidence - Regarding the Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the Southern Chamber of Delegates

i. Under the Standing Rules of the Southern Chamber of Delegates, it is hereby my duty and request to introduce a motion of no confidence
ii. With all due respect, both members are devoted public servants but must abide by their duties in a timely manner
iii. The reason for the motion is substantial inactivity on the part of both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker
iv. The motion shall be for-cause due to the inactivity of the Deputy Speaker for the entire session when the Speaker is absent, and for the Speaker failing to conduct duties effectively
v. Bills remained in queue for longer than a few days when the government must be actively run by the Deputy Speaker in the Speaker's absence
vi. Substantial inactivity on the part of the leadership of the Southern Chamber is detrimental to the people of the Southern region.
vii. Under the rules, I hereby request a vote on whether to retain both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:22 PM »

Motion of No Confidence - Regarding the Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the Southern Chamber of Delegates

i. Under the Standing Rules of the Southern Chamber of Delegates, it is hereby my duty and request to introduce a motion of no confidence
ii. With all due respect, both members are devoted public servants but must abide by their duties in a timely manner
iii. The reason for the motion is substantial inactivity on the part of both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker
iv. Bills remained in queue for longer than a few days when the government must be actively run by the Deputy Speaker in the Speaker's absence
v. Substantial inactivity on the part of the leadership of the Southern Chamber is detrimental to the people of the Southern region.
vi. Under the rules, I hereby request a vote on whether to retain both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker.

Based on their current activity levels do you reckon they will the even turn up to vote?
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 11:37:02 PM »

iv. Bills remained in queue for longer than a few days when the government must be actively run by the Deputy Speaker in the Speaker's absence
v. Substantial inactivity on the part of the leadership of the Southern Chamber is detrimental to the people of the Southern region.
vi. Under the rules, I hereby request a vote on whether to retain both the Speaker and Deputy Speaker.

Based on their current activity levels do you reckon they will the even turn up to vote?

Not that either of the individuals are "bad blokes". Timbo and PragPop are good blokes, being a good bloke isn't at question. It is explicit in motion, that this is not about the type of blokes they are but about activity and dedication to duty.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 11:47:33 PM »

Not that either of the individuals are "bad blokes". Timbo and PragPop are good blokes, being a good bloke isn't at question. It is explicit in motion, that this is not about the type of blokes they are but about activity and dedication to duty.

I agree. That is why in the language it is reflected as such.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »

Or just compromise and get a more active Deputy (who though?). Tim's always been an inactive figurehead while his Deputy actually does the job.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »

Or just compromise and get a more active Deputy (who though?). Tim's always been an inactive figurehead while his Deputy actually does the job.

To be honest I don't think that is a good policy. I like Tim, but if he is not active enough to be speaker then he should not be speaker. I remember when I was in the Chamber of Delegates, Wulfric was already the de facto speaker, and he should have been the actual speaker as well. Ironically Deputy Speaker would be a better role for Tim, being able to step in if the Speaker is not able.

Of course I do not think there is a suitable replacement for Tim in the current Chamber of Delegates. WB is also being recalled and the other 3 representatives are not exactly immensely active either.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »

To be honest I don't think that is a good policy. I like Tim, but if he is not active enough to be speaker then he should not be speaker. I remember when I was in the Chamber of Delegates, Wulfric was already the de facto speaker, and he should have been the actual speaker as well. Ironically Deputy Speaker would be a better role for Tim, being able to step in if the Speaker is not able.

Of course I do not think there is a suitable replacement for Tim in the current Chamber of Delegates. WB is also being recalled and the other 3 representatives are not exactly immensely active either.

I have been more active this term.. Out of justice to the Southern people, I do hope this motion is taken up in a timely manner.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »

In any case, here are the relevant rules regarding the removal of the speaker according to the Wiki (not sure if they are updated or not):

7a.) Upon a motion of any Delegate, a vote of no confidence in the Speaker of the Chamber shall be entertained. Debate shall last no more than 72 hours, unless a majority of Delegates vote to extend the time. No Speaker shall be removed at-will, except upon the vote of 2/3rds of the Delegates. No Speaker shall be removed for-cause, except upon the vote of a majority of the Delegates in a 5 member chamber, or upon the vote of 3/5 of the delegates in a 7 member chamber. Upon a successful vote, the Dean of the Chamber, shall become acting Speaker, unless the Dean is also the Speaker, in which case the next most-senior Delegate shall by acting speaker. A new election for Speaker shall commence within 24 hours using the same process for electing a Speaker at the beginning of the Session. A Successful no-confidence vote shall not result in the expulsion of a Speaker who is also an elected Delegate, merely the forfeiture of the office of Speaker.

So the first question is: Is this an at-will removal or a for-cause removal?

After that, Spark introduced the motion on the 11th of March, so Tim should open a vote on the 14th at the latest unless an extension is filed.

The likeliest scenario is a 2-3 defeat on party lines, but a 3-2 would create an interesting legal scenario where Tim sues to retain his speakership.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 06:10:57 PM »

In any case, here are the relevant rules regarding the removal of the speaker according to the Wiki (not sure if they are updated or not):

7a.) Upon a motion of any Delegate, a vote of no confidence in the Speaker of the Chamber shall be entertained. Debate shall last no more than 72 hours, unless a majority of Delegates vote to extend the time. No Speaker shall be removed at-will, except upon the vote of 2/3rds of the Delegates. No Speaker shall be removed for-cause, except upon the vote of a majority of the Delegates in a 5 member chamber, or upon the vote of 3/5 of the delegates in a 7 member chamber. Upon a successful vote, the Dean of the Chamber, shall become acting Speaker, unless the Dean is also the Speaker, in which case the next most-senior Delegate shall by acting speaker. A new election for Speaker shall commence within 24 hours using the same process for electing a Speaker at the beginning of the Session. A Successful no-confidence vote shall not result in the expulsion of a Speaker who is also an elected Delegate, merely the forfeiture of the office of Speaker.

After that, Spark introduced the motion on the 11th of March, so Tim should open a vote on the 14th at the latest unless an extension is filed.

The likeliest scenario is a 2-3 defeat on party lines, but a 3-2 would create an interesting legal scenario where Tim sues to retain his speakership.

I will update to reflect that it is a for-cause removal. And if Tim does not open the thread?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 06:14:25 PM »

I will update to reflect that it is a for-cause removal. And if Tim does not open the thread?

I guess Prag could open it. If neither opens it then I guess it would be the classic "region falls into disarray" scenario that has happened many times.

In those cases I don't know what is the usual procedure, but I guess any Delegate could open the vote, but it adds yet another possible argument of illegality.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »

I guess Prag could open it. If neither opens it then I guess it would be the classic "region falls into disarray" scenario that has happened many times.

In those cases I don't know what is the usual procedure, but I guess any Delegate could open the vote, but it adds yet another possible argument of illegality.

If the Speaker or Deputy Speaker do not move to open the thread by March 14th, I will entertain opening the thread and consider a possible amendment to the Standing Rules to account for that scenario. There should be a provision taking that into consideration.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »

The speaker doesn't need to be a delegate. There has been at least one non delegate speaker before.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »

This sort of turmoil is yet more evidence as to why the South needs to become a puppet state controlled by Frémont.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »

Looks like it's time for me to come in and save the Chamber and the South!
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »

Looks like it's time for me to come in and save the Chamber and the South!

Senator LT, I appreciate that sentiment. However, all will be under control in the Chamber!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 04:15:17 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2020, 04:23:26 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

I do not intend to step aside without a fight, should it ever come to that if I have to do that to stay in my job.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies