Section 8 Housing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:20:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Section 8 Housing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What is your general view of Section 8 Housing?
Positive (D)

Negative (D)

Positive (R)

Negative (R)

Positive (I/L/O)

Negative (I/L/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Section 8 Housing  (Read 9964 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »

Negative, the motels along the highway in my town have been turned into Section 8s for the last few years, and the impact has been terrible.  Crime has gone up here, almost 85% of the crime coming out of those motels.  We have crackheads wandering around asking for money all the time and harassing local businesses.  Where I work, some f'ed up moron who lives in one of them came into the store, harassed customers, and didn't leave until we has to get forceful with him.  Cheap housing attracts crime and other bullsh**t so Section 8 housing should only be put up in areas that suck already. 

Ahh, US 130.  Lots of trucker hotels and prostitution along that stretch of highway.  I sometimes wonder who actually goes into them besides the people I mentiones.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »

Some of these people drink all hours of the night, smoke their Marlboro Reds and blast their music as well.

I'm sure rich people also stay up all night and blast their music as well, but no one bother to judge them so harshly.  The point is that personal habits that are labeled 'good' or 'bad' by judgemental prudes are found in all classes.  It isn't personal habits that make a poor a poor, it is the lack of power.

I for one always stay up all night and sleep all day - it just seems so much more pleasant than the workaday schedule with all the traffic and the sun beating down.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

Negative, the motels along the highway in my town have been turned into Section 8s for the last few years, and the impact has been terrible.  Crime has gone up here, almost 85% of the crime coming out of those motels.  We have crackheads wandering around asking for money all the time and harassing local businesses.  Where I work, some f'ed up moron who lives in one of them came into the store, harassed customers, and didn't leave until we has to get forceful with him.  Cheap housing attracts crime and other bullsh**t so Section 8 housing should only be put up in areas that suck already. 

Interesting to see a liberal speak so honestly about this issue.  Government subsidized housing really is a problem for the areas where it is placed.  Nobody can deny this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »

Interesting to see a liberal speak so honestly about this issue.  Government subsidized housing really is a problem for the areas where it is placed.  Nobody can deny this.

Actually that area sounds like a great place to pick up some companionship, if one were stuck in New Jersey.  Streetwalkers and such.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2006, 07:09:47 PM »

Some of these people drink all hours of the night, smoke their Marlboro Reds and blast their music as well.

I'm sure rich people also stay up all night and blast their music as well, but no one bother to judge them so harshly.  The point is that personal habits that are labeled 'good' or 'bad' by judgemental prudes are found in all classes.  It isn't personal habits that make a poor a poor, it is the lack of power.

I for one always stay up all night and sleep all day - it just seems so much more pleasant than the workaday schedule with all the traffic and the sun beating down.

They are more frequent about it and worse, I hate to say it.  Sure I know rich teenagers and college kids are the worst drug addicts, but they definitely cause less of a nuisance and do it on weekends.  I have come home from work at 2 a.m. and seen what I just described.  dazzleman and HockeyDude are right, Section 8 has it's ugly side and you don't have to be conservative to think that way.  I know the area Hockey Dude's talking about fairly well and US 130 in West Central NJ can look very seedy at times.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2006, 12:41:05 AM »

As a matter of fact, Dibble, most of the places I have rented have been somewhere near Section 8 type neighborhoods.

"Near" is not the same thing as "next to", especially in a city where there can be large differences in merely one or two blocks of distance.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2006, 04:17:08 AM »

I've rented next to 3 different Section 8 houses, and every time, without fail, there are drug dealers in the Section 8 house.  I realize this is a very small sample, and I shouldn't base everything off these 3 groups of people, but I would say Section 8 sucks.

It also seems to bring down the property values of the surrounding neighborhood, so although it may be good for the people in the Section 8 house, it sucks for the rest of the community.

IMHO, of course   :-)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2006, 07:28:26 AM »

As a matter of fact, Dibble, most of the places I have rented have been somewhere near Section 8 type neighborhoods.

"Near" is not the same thing as "next to", especially in a city where there can be large differences in merely one or two blocks of distance.

Very true!  In St. Louis it is quite blatant, with neighborhoods of old turn of the century mansions divided from the ghetto by closed off streets and private security.  Delmar Boulevard is the dividing line in one part of town.  Everything north is pure oppressed ghetto, and the neighborhood to the south is all mansions like this -

In the whole length of Delmar from Kingshighway to Skinker there are maybe one or two large streets that go through - everything else is blocked off on the white side.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »

The woman has 7 children with 3 different men, one of whom she met on the internet and had an affair with.  She doesn't let them go to school most of the time because she doesn't like to be alone in the apartment.  A couple of the older ones are currently in jail.  The man has two kids who don't live with him, and to whom he pays scant attention to.  I could go on, but suffice to say they're not top calibre people.  And they're probably on the better end of the section 8 spectrum in that they don't do drugs or engage in criminal activity, as is fairly common with government-subisidized housing, unfortunately.
Nah, not letting your kids go to school is worse than doing drugs.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2006, 12:42:50 AM »

I wonder if Connecticut just does a better job with their section eight housing.  My only real knowlege of section eight is a bunch of "starter homes" rented real cheap to a bunch of single mothers.  I'd have no problem living in those places.

Anyhow I support it I guess.  What I like better is the "Next Door" programs where people in the military, police, firefighters, teachers, etc can buy homes at like 50% off in poor and lower middle class areas.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies