S.20.1-3: The Economic Freedom Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:35:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.1-3: The Economic Freedom Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.1-3: The Economic Freedom Act (Tabled)  (Read 291 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2020, 11:16:34 PM »
« edited: February 21, 2020, 10:57:33 PM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

The Economic Freedom Act (EFA)

1. The Boycott Boycott Act will hereby be repealed.
Sponsor: West Midlander
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »

Quote from: The Boycott Boycott Act
1: This bill shall be known as the boycott boycott act

2: “Boycott” is hereby defined as refusing to deal with, terminating business activities with, or otherwise taking any action that is intended to penalize, inflict economic harm on, or limit commercial relations with Israel, but does not include an action taken for bona fide business or economic reasons or a boycott that is specifically required by federal or Regional law.

3: Any government in the Southern Region shall reserve the right to terminate any contract where a contractor falsely represented their participation in a boycott of Israel.

4: All future contract bids shall include these regulations in the bid solicitation.

5: This act shall take effect sixty (60) days from the passage of this law

After further reflection, I would like to withdraw my sponsorship of this bill. The bill is not expressly anti-BDS and only protects the rights of Southern state governments to terminate a contract if a contractor misrepresented their stance on a boycott of Israel (which is preferable).

One should not misrepresent one's self in a business setting, however, one's position on BDS should not be disclosed involuntarily unless it is relevant to the business at hand (though the bill does not support this prospect).

The part of my statement that I put in italics is a presumption that the bolded section of the bill is talking about state governments within the region due to the lack of clarity in Section 3.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:16 AM »

In case anyone was wondering about the status of this Bill.

I would like to withdraw my sponsorship of this bill.

Quote from: Standing Rules of the Southern Chamber of Delegates - Section V : 2
The sponsor of a piece of legislation may at any time withdraw his or her sponsorship. In addition, when the sponsor is no longer a Delegate, his or her sponsorship shall be revoked automatically. If no member of the Chamber of Delegates moves to assume sponsorship of the legislation within 48 hours, the legislation shall be tabled automatically.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »

The bill has been tabled from the floor on account of it failing to pick up a sponsor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies