FT 15.02 - Succession in Office Act of 2020 (LAW)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 15.02 - Succession in Office Act of 2020 (LAW)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 15.02 - Succession in Office Act of 2020 (LAW)  (Read 489 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »
« edited: March 05, 2020, 12:58:53 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

A RESOLUTION
to standardize rules of parliamentary succession

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Succession in Office Act of 2020." It may be cited as the "Succession Act."

Section 2 (Rules for determining successors)
i. Whenever a sitting member shall be reelected to the next parliament, they shall be considered their own successor.
ii. Whenever a member is appointed or chosen by means of a by-election to assume a vacant seat, they shall be the successor to that seat.
iii. Whenever a new member is elected and belonging to the same federal party as a retiring member, they shall be the successor to that seat.
iv. All conflicts shall be resolved in favor of the most senior member, as herein defined.

Section 3 (Seniority)
i. The relative seniority of members shall be determined according to the date and minute at which they originally took the oath of office, with the member whose earliest entry into office occurred at the earliest date and time being the most senior. However, a new member having previously been elected senator or first minister for this commonwealth, shall take precedence over all other new members entering office at the same time.

Section 4 (Succession in votes)
i. Should a new member enter into office at the moment when a vote is ongoing, and proceed to vote on the relevant amendment, bill, or resolution, their vote shall replace that of the member who they shall have succeeded in office.

Sponsor: Harry S Truman, FM (Fianna Frémont—Labor, North Dakota)

I hereby give the floor to the first minister so he can present his advocation.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »

My thanks to the speaker.

For several years now, we have been operating under the House of Representatives Rules and Procedures when it comes to determining official succession. While at some level ceremonial, succession rules become very important in a couple of cases: votes in parliament that overlap the end of one term and the beginning of another (the most recent example being the Second Great Seal Act signed into law just this morning), and the dual vacancy of the ministry and the speakership (which has never occurred under the present constitution). While it has never been a problem before now, were either of these scenarios to become the source of controversy, the lack of a clear statutory definition of who succeeds whom and who is, in fact, the "most senior" MFP, could spark a damaging and unnecessary constitutional crisis. Hence this bill.

This legislation would formally adopt the House Rules for succession and define seniority by the order in which members took the oath of office. Two important notes with regard to the latter: former senators and first ministers take precedence over other new legislators of the same class, and your first oath is the only one that matters —even if there is a gap in your service. The reasoning here is that seniority mainly matters if the first minister abdicates and there is no speaker; a former senator or first minister, I would argue, is in such a scenario a more legitimate choice to become interim first minister than a freshman lawmaker who happened to swear in a few minutes early.

I yield for a question.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:35:00 PM »

I move for a vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »

Madam Speaker?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »

Sorry, was busy with stuff. Opening a vote.

---

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »

Aye
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »

Aye
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »

Succession in Office Act of 2020
Frémont Parliament Bill 15.02 - Sponsored by Harry S Truman, FM

LABPAXINDTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

FFTRMLULTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

First Minister HARRY S TRUMAN of North Dakota (LAB/FF)
Mr. AUSTRALIANSWINGVOTER of Washington (IND/ML)
Mr. ISHAN of Guam (LAB/UL)
Ms. KOOPADAQUICK of Iowa (PAX/TR)
Mr. OREGON BLUE DOG of Oregon (LAB/ML)

Passed, awaiting the First Minister's signature.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:37:23 PM »

A RESOLUTION
to standardize rules of parliamentary succession

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Succession in Office Act of 2020." It may be cited as the "Succession Act."

Section 2 (Rules for determining successors)
i. Whenever a sitting member shall be reelected to the next parliament, they shall be considered their own successor.
ii. Whenever a member is appointed or chosen by means of a by-election to assume a vacant seat, they shall be the successor to that seat.
iii. Whenever a new member is elected and belonging to the same federal party as a retiring member, they shall be the successor to that seat.
iv. All conflicts shall be resolved in favor of the most senior member, as herein defined.

Section 3 (Seniority)
i. The relative seniority of members shall be determined according to the date and minute at which they originally took the oath of office, with the member whose earliest entry into office occurred at the earliest date and time being the most senior. However, a new member having previously been elected senator or first minister for this commonwealth, shall take precedence over all other new members entering office at the same time.

Section 4 (Succession in votes)
i. Should a new member enter into office at the moment when a vote is ongoing, and proceed to vote on the relevant amendment, bill, or resolution, their vote shall replace that of the member who they shall have succeeded in office.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies