Do you support Race base AA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:54:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support Race base AA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you support Race base AA  (Read 13006 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: May 21, 2004, 06:45:08 PM »

I voted yes. It is long past time for our nation to pay its dues for centuries of racial oppression, and the institutional sequelae that still hang like a stifling miasma over many organizations.

Discrimination against the poor is reprehensible, and should be eliminated, however we must realize that it was not so long ago that Jim Crow reared his ugly head in America, and to a lesser extent, that still happens today. We are far from having solved our conflicts over ancestry in this country.

In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way. And to treat some people equally, we must treat them differently. We cannot- we dare not- let the Fourteenth Amendment perpetuate racial supremacy.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »

What that statement was that to achieve equal protection in our society, we must adopt different measures to realize that goal. There has been no prior discrimination against the majority group in America, so therefore they need no affirmative preference to be treated fairly under the law.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 10:05:37 AM »

While there is little genetic evidence to support a concept of races, we must recognize that it is a social construct, one so entrenched in our thinking that it will be a vital creature of our thoughts for years to come. My only hope is that greater exposure to people of other races, aided by affirmative action, can help break down those barriers.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 04:02:37 PM »

Are you really, Flyers2004, going to attempt to analogize the plight of the slaves, who were property when brought to this country after being kidnapped, to Irish Americans, who had the benefit of speaking English, not being owned, and not being denied the right to vote as recently as forty years ago?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 09:09:27 PM »

Voting Rights Act? If you want to go back further, the Fifteenth Amendment? Give me a break. There is still political disenfranchisement, as well as discrimination. Slavery has nothing to do with this program, considering that it is designed to respond to contemporary disparities, but Flyers brought up ancestry, so I had to enter that terrain.

And Nym, there might not be a scientific definition of race, but there sure as Hell is a social one.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 11:59:40 AM »

I cannot help but point out that such differentials are far outweighed by the importance of greater minority representation, and that's not to say that the minority was a total boob, either. The credentials indicate that the minority had a head on his shoulders.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 12:34:30 PM »

I didn't hear of those incidents. What happened?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 01:57:09 PM »

You're probably right, Nym. But the principle of discarding remedial measures based upon race troubles me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies