Do you support Race base AA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support Race base AA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you support Race base AA  (Read 13002 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: May 22, 2004, 03:51:41 PM »

No. Class based only.  There are some white immigrant groups such as mine (Irish Catholics), Jews, Armenians, Ukranians, pretty much anyone in Eastern Europe except Hungary, sun-continent Indians, and I'm sure many others that have faced substantial discrimination here and/or in their native land.  
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:27:16 AM »

Are you really, Flyers2004, going to attempt to analogize the plight of the slaves, who were property when brought to this country after being kidnapped, to Irish Americans, who had the benefit of speaking English, not being owned, and not being denied the right to vote as recently as forty years ago?

Not saying African Americans didn't suffer.  I can to an extent see AA for older African Americans in the South.  it's too close to call.  Compared to Irish Americans....  hey at least the slaves got fed.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  I consider myself a moderate liberal, but I know World/American history fairly well, but I am not about to be subjected to one-sided violin playing either.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:18:40 PM »

Yes, good points.

In order to defend race-based AA you have to prove that there is discrimination on the basis of race and race alone, independent of any other factors. I don't believe that's the case. Certainly there is racial discrimination, but I think that there is far more discrimination on the basis of income. Since blacks have lower average incomes than whites, it ends up appearing as though blacks are suffering discrimination.

Yes, there is still some racial discrimination, but there is far more discrimination on the basis of income. Rich black people have a huge advantage over poor whites.

Being from Michigan, what do you think about U of Mich's admission policies?  One of the VERY few things I applaud Bush on is speaking against U of Michigan's 20 points for being a minority.  That is higher than a perfect SAT score!!!  I can see parental income as a factor, but not that.  A perfect SAT score there is 4 points.  
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:07:57 AM »

I'm an alumnus of U of Michigan.

Yes, I agree that the policy should have been stricken down. It was way too biased.

Of course, being an athlete got you a 20 point bonus too....universities are just expected to favor athletes though I guess. Smiley

20 points for athletes?Huh Damn that's terrible.  So a minority athlete gets 40 points whereas a guy with a perfect SAT and a legacy only gets 8???  Even as as geneally liberal person I find that baffling and grossly wrong.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 02:00:03 AM »

A friend of mine, 2nd in the class of 400, 1600 SAT, 235 PSAT, 35 ACT, really wanted to go to Rice, and set up an interview with them, was rejected by Rice.
Another african-american friend of mine, class rank in the 40's, 1500 SAT, 197 PSAT, didn't care about Rice, much less set up an interview, was accepted.

Fair?

The African American's credentials are impressive mind you, but no that's not right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies