S.20.1-13: Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA) [Statute]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.1-13: Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA) [Statute]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.1-13: Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA) [Statute]  (Read 6047 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2020, 04:10:17 AM »
« edited: April 10, 2020, 07:35:31 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA)

Section 1. Title
i. The title of this act shall be the Alternative Education and Youth Risk Prevention Act

Section 2. Services
a. Background, Necessity for legislation

i. Children living in poverty who have one or more parents incarcerated, are the victims of abuse or neglect, or are homeless often experience a range of trauma and stress. This stress damages the child's physical, social, mental, emotional, and behavioral health and well-being.

The needs of vulnerable populations must be met, as they have a diminished ability to advocate for themselves compared to their peers. This becomes a vicious cycle.

The purpose of this act is to establish a task force to create a system for evaluating the at risk youth and those who have emergent or persistent behaviors, academic challenges and are in need of support.

ii. An at risk youth shall be defined as a minor who is enrolled in a high school within the Southern region with a deceased or incarcerated parent or guardian.

iii. A support network which consists of an older peer shall be assigned at the beginning of the school year, and the at risk youth must be enrolled in counseling services with the high school guidance counselor.
Sponsor: Spark498
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »

I approve of the bill as it is currently written.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:00:07 AM »

I approve of the bill as it is currently written.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:05:33 PM »

Anyone interested in further debate?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 01:27:24 PM »

While I assume there is some appropriate vetting of the "older peer" assigned to the at-risk youth - I would be more comfortable voting for this bill if we have some sort of explicit oversight measure to make sure those individuals aren't able to then take advantage of the at-risk youth. Otherwise, I have no issue with this legislation as written.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:43 PM »

While I assume there is some appropriate vetting of the "older peer" assigned to the at-risk youth - I would be more comfortable voting for this bill if we have some sort of explicit oversight measure to make sure those individuals aren't able to then take advantage of the at-risk youth. Otherwise, I have no issue with this legislation as written.
How would you envision such a provision be written into the bill?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »

Not entirely sure. I suppose the simplest method would be to task the Attorney General with establishing an oversight mechanism
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »

Not entirely sure. I suppose the simplest method would be to task the Attorney General with establishing an oversight mechanism
fair enough.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

As a southern citizen, I’d like to know if this is mandatory for “at risk youths” or would this be optional. What I don’t want is this being forced on people, could there be clarification?

I can support an amendment making it optional. We want to be sure that these protections are in place if necessary.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 06:24:11 PM »

As a southern citizen, I’d like to know if this is mandatory for “at risk youths” or would this be optional. What I don’t want is this being forced on people, could there be clarification?

I can support an amendment making it optional. We want to be sure that these protections are in place if necessary.

Notification of the parents of at-risk youth and the ability to opt-out would be best, imo.

However, the wording is up to the delegates: whether parents have to opt in like a field-trip permission slip or have to opt-out, by default, like for a sex harassment seminar (I believe the method I proposed, the second method, is how permission was handled for the sexual harassment seminar, at least, where I went to school).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 11:55:42 AM »

Notification of the parents of at-risk youth and the ability to opt-out would be best, imo.

However, the wording is up to the delegates: whether parents have to opt in like a field-trip permission slip or have to opt-out, by default, like for a sex harassment seminar (I believe the method I proposed, the second method, is how permission was handled for the sexual harassment seminar, at least, where I went to school).
I would be willing to support such a compromise, though I'm not 100% certain about all specifics.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »

Youth Risk Prevention Act (YRPA)

Section 1. Title
i. The title of this act shall be the Alternative Education and Youth Risk Prevention Act

Section 2. Services
a. Background, Necessity for legislation

i. Children living in poverty who have one or more parents incarcerated, are the victims of abuse or neglect, or are homeless often experience a range of trauma and stress. This stress damages the child's physical, social, mental, emotional, and behavioral health and well-being.

The needs of vulnerable populations must be met, as they have a diminished ability to advocate for themselves compared to their peers. This becomes a vicious cycle.

The purpose of this act is to establish a task force to create a system for evaluating the at risk youth and those who have emergent or persistent behaviors, academic challenges and are in need of support.

ii. An at risk youth shall be defined as a minor who is enrolled in a high school within the Southern region with a deceased or incarcerated parent or guardian.

iii. An at risk youth may choose to request a support network which consists of an older peer. The peer shall be assigned at the beginning of the school year, and the at risk youth must be enrolled in counseling services with the high school guidance counselor.
Sponsor: Spark498

Hereby propose an amendment to make it optional.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »

No objection was raised to the amendment, it is hereby adopted.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »

No objection was raised to the amendment, it is hereby adopted.

Thank you Mr. Speaker. Motion for a vote.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:56:11 AM »

Final vote. 48 hours.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend