My retirement from Fantasy Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:19:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  My retirement from Fantasy Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: My retirement from Fantasy Politics  (Read 7356 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »

I think it is time, well, long past time actually, that I retired from Fantasy Politics.  I have many reasons to retire from this.  I will name them now.

The first, is the conduct of certain people on this board during this election, which I believe to be deeply immoral, actions which would probably not have been undertaken by these particular people if not for the corrosive environment Fantasy Politics creates.  I have never run in a seriously contested election before.  My senate and Gubernutorial races were all uncontested, really.  It was not until now that I have actually come into personal contact with this disgusting atmosphere.

Right now, Q is essentially attempting to rig the election.  Through his control of the election machinery, he is systematically disenfrachising voters.  He has already attempted to disenfranchise Kevin and dazzelman under the grounds that they did not list a President and Vice President.  WMS has told me he now plots to disenfranchise Everett, on the grounds that her re-registration not only prohibits her from voting in the Pacific Senate election, but also prohibits her from voting in the Presidential election.  These are ridiculous, unconstitutional actions that violate the fundamental right that underlies everything else that goes on here: The right to vote.

Ebowed and Q will not stop until they win the election, no matter how much damage they do in the process.  I am deeply disgusted by this.

I am also disgusted with the lack of seriousness by some voters.  Flyers and Jesus are inferior to their opponents in every measurable way, yet so many voters are so unserious that they have actually chosen to cast ballots for these people!  Counted among these misguided voters are people I genuinely like, which makes this realization of their unseriousness all the more difficult to take.

I am also disgusted at the way Frodo was treated.  For one mistake, he has essentially been driven from the boards!  We are possibly electing the man behind Girl-Gone-Wild to the Senate at the same time that Frodo has been shanmed into staying out of the election so far entirely.  This treatment of a decent person is unconscionable, and I've no intention of being part of a group that does this anymore.

The second reason for my retirement is my real life.  To be blunt, it was irresponible of me to run at a time when I have so many real obligations to meet.  This is my last semester at University, and I intend to finish well, to find gainful employment, to enter a graduate program at a later date, and to become something worth becoming.  I cannot do that here, and everything I can do herer is an impediment to my real world obligations and prevents me from enjoying that which is real.

And Atlasia certainly is not real.  Do not forget this.

Only that which is real is of importance, that which is not real is unimportant.  Atlasia is not real, therefore it is not important to me anymore.

I should not have run in the first place knowing this, but I did.  For that weakness, for that curiosity of how I might perform on the biggest stage in Atlasia, I ask the forgiveness of my supporters, whose efforts are now also wasted.

The third is that, having essentially won the election, I have nothing left to prove.  I have proven everything else, and there is no more up.  I have won a Presidential election.  I have more votes, and had I remained involved, I'd have had more votes 24 hours from now.  I won.  I will retire at the top of my game, at the top of the tallest moutain here.

But I have no intention of continuing to climb in this world.  I can climb plenty in the real.

Now, for those who are distraught, I don't think you should be.  I am not.  After all, this is not real.  You are right that Ebowed is not as good a candidate as I.  You are right that his election would further the decline of Atlasia.  But where you are wrong is on the question of whether any of that is at all relevant!

This place is not real.  It does not matter whether it succeeds or fails.  Our poverty is not real poverty.  Our wars are not real wars.  Our mores are not real mores.  They exist nowhere.

Of what relevance, are our efforts here if they affect not one real person outside these boards?

Second, how concerned had I ought to be with those who cannot lift themselves out of this nightmare board?  Should I really do worse in school, make less money, or slow my career on account of the feelings of people I've never met when those feelings are not justifiable anyway?

This Board is hurting my life, and its hurting yours too.  All of you.  The sooner you realize that I am right, the better off you'll be.

I'm going to be better off, I know that much.  I am a free man, free of the squabbles, the intrigue, the corruption, and the games.  I am free and you cna be too, and I think that's a greater reward than anything i could have done a President.

I do feel bad for True Dem.  He's had this happen to him twice now, which really sucks.  I mean really sucks.  He'll be pissed, and he probably won't get over it.  I wouldn't.

I do feel bad for Supersoulty and WMS, who I have already informed of this, and who I think will be greatly saddenned.  The Three Amigos have ridden for ther last time.  But we won the day, and we showed we were the choice of the people.

I feel bad for the others who are in my inner circle, but not too bad, since I feel that ultimately they will be best served to follow my lead and leave this wretched place.  The sooner they do this, the better, as they will be able to devote their considerable time and energy to the pursuits of the real world.

But, if you don't folllow my lead, and instead choose never to speak to me again, I want you to know I understand why you feel that way, but I will never agree with you.  I firmly believe that, in the end, I am right.

Thus, I hereby announce my retirement from Fantasy politics.  I withdraw from the Presidential race.  I resign as Governor of the Pacific, effective midnight tommorrow.  I will be Emailing Dave, asking him to revoke my moderation powers.  I request that, upon the completion of this election and not before its completion, that the Department of Forum Affairs revoke my registration.

I intend to remain on the other boards, as I still find them enjoyable and educational.  I intend to remain in contact with those close to me, those that will still have me anyway.

Its been a great ride at times.  I am grateful for that.  But there is nothing left for me here.  The things that await me do not await me here.  There is nothing left here for any of you either.

That is all.

x John Douglas Ford
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:12:45 AM »

So i'm stupid for not voting for Wixted. nice.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:13:45 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2006, 12:16:06 AM by John Ford »

So i'm stupid for not voting for Wixted. nice.

For voting for a man who uses his pro-choice views to seduce women, yes.  That's about right.  Although i think my exact word was "unserious".
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:16:13 AM »

I do agree that anyone voting for Flyers does need to have his or her head examined. 

And Jesus is a troll, geez.

On most of the other stuff, I don't agree, frankly.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »

Good thing my opinion of you can't get any lower.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:16:50 AM »

This is bullsh**t! In this messed up country, the politicians decide the elections, not the people as they should.

Is anybody really paying attention?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »

This looks like a campaign ploy to hand the election to Ilikeverin.  I kid you not.

Right now, Q is essentially attempting to rig the election.  Through his control of the election machinery, he is systematically disenfrachising voters.  He has already attempted to disenfranchise Kevin and dazzelman under the grounds that they did not list a President and Vice President.

The ballot directions stated to list a Vice President, whether that's right or not is up for debate, but you're saying he's trying to rig the results?

Ebowed and Q will not stop until they win the election

Uh, no.  I basically sat around for the first day wondering why I was losing so badly.

I am also disgusted with the lack of seriousness by some voters.  Flyers and Jesus are inferior to their opponents in every measurable way, yet so many voters are so unserious that they have actually chosen to cast ballots for these people!

Did you not PM Flyers asking for his vote for President?  And then you diss him like this?  YOU HAVE NO MORALS.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 12:18:37 AM »

Right now, Q is essentially attempting to rig the election.  Through his control of the election machinery, he is systematically disenfrachising voters.  He has already attempted to disenfranchise Kevin and dazzelman under the grounds that they did not list a President and Vice President.  WMS has told me he now plots to disenfranchise Everett, on the grounds that her re-registration not only prohibits her from voting in the Pacific Senate election, but also prohibits her from voting in the Presidential election.  These are ridiculous, unconstitutional actions that violate the fundamental right that underlies everything else that goes on here: The right to vote.

Err, that wasn't quite what I meant, John. I was just reporting an ongoing situation. That said, I'm still fighting on behalf of Everett, and have discovered something I'll report in a second. Also, if Everett is disqualified from voting at all...then I might just well quit as well. Same reasons.

I do feel bad for Supersoulty and WMS, who I have already informed of this, and who I think will be greatly saddenned.  The Three Amigos have ridden for ther last time.  But we won the day, and we showed we were the choice of the people.

Yes to the deep saddening. Sad But damn good times. Cool
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:19:18 AM »

Err, that wasn't quite what I meant, John.

I was about to say.  I spoke to Q briefly regarding the situation, and he seemed to say that he hadn't reached a decision yet.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:19:47 AM »

This looks like a campaign ploy to hand the election to Ilikeverin.  I kid you not.

Right now, Q is essentially attempting to rig the election.  Through his control of the election machinery, he is systematically disenfrachising voters.  He has already attempted to disenfranchise Kevin and dazzelman under the grounds that they did not list a President and Vice President.

The ballot directions stated to list a Vice President, whether that's right or not is up for debate, but you're saying he's trying to rig the results?

Ebowed and Q will not stop until they win the election

Uh, no.  I basically sat around for the first day wondering why I was losing so badly.

I am also disgusted with the lack of seriousness by some voters.  Flyers and Jesus are inferior to their opponents in every measurable way, yet so many voters are so unserious that they have actually chosen to cast ballots for these people!

Did you not PM Flyers asking for his vote for President?  And then you diss him like this?  YOU HAVE NO MORALS.

I did ask for Flyers vote, but I have dissed him both before and now after the election.  Its hardly a surprise that I loathe the man.

Elect verin if you like.  Though, if I were trying to elect Verin, wouldn't you think I'd have voted for verin?

The ballot instructions excuse is a bit thin.  if Q had written a ballot demanding proof of a lude act with a dog before one can vote, would that have the wieght of law?  No.  The SoFa cannot rule by decree, as he is trying to do.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 12:21:05 AM »

To be fair to Q, the following was posted on the Ballot:

To the extent allowed by law, the Department of Forum Affairs will not count a vote for only part of a presidential/vice presidential ticket as a vote for the ticket on which that candidate is running.  Please vote for the full ticket (listing both the presidential and vice presidential candidate) if you wish for your vote to count for that ticket.

He announced this policy not knowing which votes he might potentially disenfranchise. By carrying it through, I do not believe he shows any attempt to rig the election given that his decision before voting begun could potentially have harmed himself. His actions may or may not be illegal, but that is a matter to be decided later.

I've been right where you are in the past, though I realised a little earlier in my Presidential campaign than you did, so I do sympathise to a degree. The energy that Presidential candidates are forced to invest is relatively pointless in the end, and certainly you should not allow the forum to comprimise your real life.

Nonetheless John, you put your best into the positions that you did hold, and I wish you the best in the future.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 12:21:52 AM »

I was about to say.  I spoke to Q briefly regarding the situation, and he seemed to say that he hadn't reached a decision yet.

Where does he disappear to, anyway? He goes off the Forum every time after I send him a PM reply. Huh
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:58 AM »

Where does he disappear to, anyway? He goes off the Forum every time after I send him a PM reply. Huh

He may be accessing the forum on a public or shared computer.  I log off when I'm done browsing the forum as well, even though I don't need to - just out of habit.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 12:25:13 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2006, 12:27:51 AM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Well I respect your decision and know what you are going through. While I do not agree with your assumption that just because this isn't real that it means nothing or that it is hurting us for being on here but what I can empatize with is leaving in order to make sure that your real life is in order since that is exactly like I did at the end of last year. When it came down to making a choice my grades junior year were more important than the forum and until I had found ample time to do my work I was able to return since I considered that I could finally have time for both the real and the fantastic.

I do not feel that this board is hurting my life and I believe it only hurts your life, your feelings, and your personality if you let it nor is it any omnipotent force controlling our destinies and our emotions and our feelings. We all have free will, truth be told this forum is nothing more than a communal sharing of knowledge, emotions, interests, and events.

Nor do I think that you should think of some impending demise coming from Flyers or Jesus winning these elections. When I first saw the results when I first checked on Friday I was seriously pissed as MasterJedi can tell you. However I just needed to step back and remember we're in a game, a rather complex realistic game, but a game nonetheless and even if you lose it means nothing more than you try again or you redefine your place in the game.

To you, I say that the real should always take precedent over the realms of fantasy but that people choose, out of their own volition, to come and be a part of this place and if they don't think of it as an evil force, or as a destroyer of lives, then they are completely entitled to that.

Anyway, best of luck to you John its been a pleasure.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »

Usually I get up from my computer to go into another room and see what my Dad is watching on TV or something.  I'm at my families house for the Prez-Day weekend, I'm trying to convince them to watch some Olympics, but they are implacable thus far.

I also drop into other websites, leaving the Forum, then I'll check back into the Forum and see what's going on.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 12:27:55 AM »

He may be accessing the forum on a public or shared computer.  I log off when I'm done browsing the forum as well, even though I don't need to - just out of habit.

Eh, OK. I've spent quite a while waiting for the verdict. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 12:29:01 AM »

Actually, in truth we've survived Mike Naso and Mike Assad being Senator. 

We'll probably survive Jesus and Irish Dem being Senators (again in one case).

Maybe we'll manage to get both convicted of a crime and sent to fantasy prison, something which should have been done to both a long time ago.  Tongue
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 12:58:36 AM »

Although I do not really post anymore I often check the boards to see whats going on. This is one of the reasons I left. People running for President and throwing the nation into chaos after winning and not taking office. If you don't want to run dont fing run. Is True _____ President again? My God. Give me a break. I saw the election booth, Q isn't rigging the election, the rules are stated in the damn thread. Every Presidential election, I mean every Presidential election, its the same thing, people are doing back door sh**t, and it sucks, but this is politics, albeit forum politics, but its politics, if you don't like it get out.

John Ford, I like you, I really do, but don't talk about morals like your God when your the guy who sent me something like 2 or 3 PMs, asking for my vote despite the fact I haven't posted in about 2 months.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 12:59:05 AM »

Well John, sorry to see you go, but im also sorry that you decided to go out attempting to ruin other's reputations. Both acts sadden me deeply.  This is strange though. A few hours after Boss reveals something 'big', Ford resigns from the race, almost guarunteeing Ebowed',s victory, something that was supposedly happening in this scandal of Tweeds. Ford also retires, and tries to bring down Q and Ebowed. You gotta admit, it does look strange.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 01:02:39 AM »

I've been on my best behavior. I've tried to take this "game" seriously. As WMS has said in another thread, the Pacific Senate race has been a clean one. Almost all of my posts are as serious as anyone else's now. I am the top contributor on the Wiki. I said VP-less votes should still count... I said Everett should still be able to vote for Senate in the Mideast.

I must say, I find your apparent hatred of me to be...unneccessary. I'm insulted.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but you didn't need to flip out and tell everyone how you're so much better than them. You didn't need to blatantly put other people down like that. Some of the rules are stupid, as I have already said, but I don't think anyone was "cheating."

And to think, I was finally starting to respect you. Sad
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »

I said Everett should still be able to vote for Senate in the Mideast.

A point in your favor. Smiley But the Everett situation is more serious than that, Jesus. If Q doesn't tell ya, I will, later.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »

Although I do not really post anymore I often check the boards to see whats going on. This is one of the reasons I left. People running for President and throwing the nation into chaos after winning and not taking office. If you don't want to run dont fing run. Is True _____ President again? My God. Give me a break. I saw the election booth, Q isn't rigging the election, the rules are stated in the damn thread. Every Presidential election, I mean every Presidential election, its the same thing, people are doing back door sh**t, and it sucks, but this is politics, albeit forum politics, but its politics, if you don't like it get out.

John Ford, I like you, I really do, but don't talk about morals like your God when your the guy who sent me something like 2 or 3 PMs, asking for my vote despite the fact I haven't posted in about 2 months.

I haven't used the word morals once in this thread.

PMing is not immoral.  It's a campaign for crying out loud.

Well John, sorry to see you go, but im also sorry that you decided to go out attempting to ruin other's reputations. Both acts sadden me deeply.  This is strange though. A few hours after Boss reveals something 'big', Ford resigns from the race, almost guarunteeing Ebowed',s victory, something that was supposedly happening in this scandal of Tweeds. Ford also retires, and tries to bring down Q and Ebowed. You gotta admit, it does look strange.

To those that were paying attention, Ebowed and Q had already sullied their reputations.

As for similairites to Tweed's thread, they aren't really anything more than superficial things.  Actually, this is nothing like what Tweed posted.  I'm making no effort to delete the Fantasy boardds, for example.  Quite the opposite, I'm actually handing over my moderation powers.  There's also no deal on cabinet posts.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 01:06:48 AM »

You couldn't bother to check whether or not all of the people you were PM'ing were legally active?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 01:10:36 AM »

To those that were paying attention, Ebowed and Q had already sullied their reputations.

As for similairites to Tweed's thread, they aren't really anything more than superficial things.  Actually, this is nothing like what Tweed posted.  I'm making no effort to delete the Fantasy boardds, for example.  Quite the opposite, I'm actually handing over my moderation powers.  There's also no deal on cabinet posts.
I know that its different, but i was simply stating that it felt like a poor timing, and made me feel like something wierd was happening.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 01:24:35 AM »

You couldn't bother to check whether or not all of the people you were PM'ing were legally active?

Some of these PMs were sent out long long before the election, when there was plenty of time ot get to 25 posts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies