OH-Gov: Strickland continues to lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:12:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  OH-Gov: Strickland continues to lead
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH-Gov: Strickland continues to lead  (Read 2868 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:12:19 AM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/February%202006/Ohio%20Governor%20February.htm

Stickland 47
Blackwell 35

Strickland 44
Petro 37
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:44:34 AM »

That's one hell of a massive lead. I always thought Strickland had the edge, but right now I'm almost saying this is locked up. Although in all fairness it shouldn't really be that much of a shocker considering what people in Ohio think of Bush and Taft now that they wouldn't want continued Republican rule.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »

The Rasmussen polls have been very strange lately.

I do not doubt that Strickland is leading (he led by 4 in January), but a +8 swing in a month is highly suspect.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »

Smiley
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:18:47 PM »

I don't know that Petro should be polling closer to Strickland than Blackwell.  His primary campaign has not been going well at all, and he may be in some legal trouble.

I also doubt that Strickland is leading by 8, if he's leading at all.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 04:24:25 PM »

While Strickland could be leading, this seems way too large a lead to me.

I refuse to be hopeful about this particular race.  After that Paul Hackett debacle, I cannot bring myself to possibly underestimate the Ohio Democrats' ability to screw things up.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:03:54 AM »

It's another one of these Rasmussen one-day polls.  I'm still guessing that Strickland is leading by some amount, but it's probably too early to make any great reads out of this (since neither are incumbents).

Honestly, I don't particularly like the polling logic of these one-day polls (two to five days is the best time frame for a poll), because of the natural propensity for outliers I would think.

In order to read anything out of the polls, my statistical sense says to average two or three of these one-day thingys and you'll probably have something more to go on that lessens the outlier possibility.

I have actually suggested this on the SUSA approval polls as well (600 adults as a sample is also a problem to me).

Also, another complaint with the Rasmussen is that he's polling LV.  What is a LV in February 2006 for a November 2006 race?  You got me.

Shouldn't we be polling RV, not LV or adults at this point.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:26:42 AM »

I refuse to be hopeful about this particular race.  After that Paul Hackett debacle, I cannot bring myself to possibly underestimate the Ohio Democrats' ability to screw things up.

Now that Blackwell's going negative--HARD--against Petro, Strickland's lead is destined to grow even more, against both GOPers...

The ads are pretty well done and should be effective at driving up Petro's negatives...

At the same time, there is always a backlash when one is associated with particularly negative advertising--particularly when you are stabbing the candidate favored by a significant portion of your own party, including the relatively moderate wing that just might defect.

Moreover, I expect to see Petro hit back.

The dems, meanwhile, continue to have a primary problem in the senate race, I'm outraged that Hackett's staffers, supporters, etc., are still going after Brown even after he's dropped out of the primary! 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 02:36:55 AM »

Now that Blackwell's going negative--HARD--against Petro, Strickland's lead is destined to grow even more, against both GOPers...

The ads are pretty well done and should be effective at driving up Petro's negatives...

At the same time, there is always a backlash when one is associated with particularly negative advertising--particularly when you are stabbing the candidate favored by a significant portion of your own party, including the relatively moderate wing that just might defect.

Moreover, I expect to see Petro hit back.

The dems, meanwhile, continue to have a primary problem in the senate race, I'm outraged that Hackett's staffers, supporters, etc., are still going after Brown even after he's dropped out of the primary! 

I'm still not going to be hopeful about Ohio until it's over and the Democrat is declared the victor, just out of caution.  At the moment it seems like the governor's mansion is a great chance for a Democrat pick-up, but there's still so much time for the Democrats to make a mistake, and I've lost a large amount of faith in the Ohio Democratic Party as of late.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 02:39:10 AM »

If there are no pickups in Ohio this year, Ohio can offiicially be called a 1 party state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »

If there are no pickups in Ohio this year, Ohio can offiicially be called a 1 party state.

Either that, or the OH Democrats can be called dysfunctional.  But I think Strickland will win by a small margin, certainly not 12 points, but more like 3-5%.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »

Either that, or the OH Democrats can be called dysfunctional. 

Which they certainly are, then again while Brown will lose to DeWine by a wide margin (his concession speech will be the highlight of my evening after Casey’s victory speech Smiley ) Strickland should be able to beat Blackwell… the races lower down the ballot don’t look too good for the Dems it seems but in the present circumstances I would have thought they’d be able to pickup one or two of the other state-wide offices… but we’ll see.

As you say though Strickland should win, but he’ll win on his own strengths and in spit of the weaknesses of the Ohio Democratic Party.   

Galactic Overlord

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 03:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, I tend to think the same of Blackwell.  I think either could win, for varying reasons.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies