What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 633308 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3300 on: March 14, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »

Is it true that Alice in Wonderland actually contains a scene where the Mad Hatter engages in some type of breakdancing?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3301 on: March 14, 2010, 12:31:05 AM »

Is it true that Alice in Wonderland actually contains a scene where the Mad Hatter engages in some type of breakdancing?

Yep.  To make it worse, it happens at a particularly jarring part of the movie.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3302 on: March 14, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »

I saw Green Zone tonight. I will say that some of the scenes were well done, and I enjoyed feeling like I was in the battle, but I strongly disagreed with the message what it was trying to portray - especially when a group in my theater cheered when the Iraqi's shot down one of the US helicopters. It was simply another cookie cutter blame Bush film with the premise that there was one man responsible for starting the whole war, who met with Saddam's top general - who claimed they had no WMDs - and flipped it around, told Bush, and we went to war. The plot was predictable, the characters were not likable, unless you fell for the sob story Greengrass was trying to run with in which you felt sorry for Iraq's top general who was losing his job. I just can't support films that cause people to cheer when one of America's soldiers get shot out of the sky. That's the end of my rant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3303 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:35 AM »

I saw Green Zone tonight. I will say that some of the scenes were well done, and I enjoyed feeling like I was in the battle, but I strongly disagreed with the message what it was trying to portray - especially when a group in my theater cheered when the Iraqi's shot down one of the US helicopters. It was simply another cookie cutter blame Bush film with the premise that there was one man responsible for starting the whole war, who met with Saddam's top general - who claimed they had no WMDs - and flipped it around, told Bush, and we went to war. The plot was predictable, the characters were not likable, unless you fell for the sob story Greengrass was trying to run with in which you felt sorry for Iraq's top general who was losing his job. I just can't support films that cause people to cheer when one of America's soldiers get shot out of the sky. That's the end of my rant.

There was cheering in my theater too when the special ops guy got killed right after Matt Damon tackled him. That guy certainly deserved it though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3304 on: March 14, 2010, 02:13:43 AM »

There was cheering in my theater too when the special ops guy got killed right after Matt Damon tackled him. That guy certainly deserved it though.

That's fine. He was a dick. We had people who also gasped and whimpered when Al Rawi was killed. Whether you agree with the war or not, the man presided over the mass slaughtering of his own people. Good riddance. But the movie was written to make both Damon and Al Rawi's character to be guys you feel sorry for. At least that's the feeling I and my friend got.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3305 on: March 14, 2010, 02:24:31 AM »

Uh, considering how he treated Damon I don't think you were supposed to feel sorry for him. The point was that he could've prevented the whole insurgency which was Anviliciously alluded to earlier and how much of a disasterous decision disbanding the Iraqi Army was.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3306 on: March 14, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »

Up In The Air.

This was indeed truly fantastic. George Clooney was great, his character kind of reminded me of opebo. I don't think I'll ever be able to hate a character played by George Clooney.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #3307 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »

Alice in Wonderland, and it was terrible. Another childhood memory ruthlessly raped by Tim Burton.

Same for me.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3308 on: March 15, 2010, 03:27:36 AM »

Antichrist

Whoah...
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #3309 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:17 AM »

Brooklyn's Finest

Not a bad movie, but not great either.  I felt like Ethan Hawke played an older, more cynical version of his character from Training Day
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3310 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »

Last Five Films I've seen (I'm off college so I'm watching alot of movies... work just too frustrating to think about):

Shutter Island: Well Done B-Movie Stuff, very well directed - perhaps Scorsese's most visual film? Pity the plot is only slightly above M. Night Shalyman. But entertaining none the less and boy Ben Kingsley overacts hilariously.

Cache: An excellent piece of work all round. Anyone have a theory on who put up the tapes? Which reminds me I've been meaning to go back a check some of things out I think I missed.

Throne of Blood: Noh Shakespeare. Well done piece of work with some good scenes but I'm not sure how 'cinematic' Shakespeare really is for an adaptation (even a loose adaptation like this one).

Insomnia: Decent well done thriller with interesting artistic elements (the photography!) though not as memorable or as good as Memento. Al Capone completely muffles his lines though Robin Williams shows himself to be a good 'serious' actor. A mixed bag.

Paranoid Park: Teenagers in Gus Van Sant's movies are always better when they don't talk - their dialogue is the most fake thing about them (do then though again that might be accurate for teenagers). The piece to compare this to do is the excellent (except for one infuriating scene) Elephant and in terms of art direction, the ability to evoke 'teenager-ness' I think it falls down and does not really go anywhere. A mediorce effect.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3311 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »

Elephant was excellent? This is why I think Gully is a pretentious fool. That movie is basically watching people walk around.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3312 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »

Nice pic, as always
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3313 on: March 15, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »

Elephant was excellent? This is why I think Gully is a pretentious fool. That movie is basically watching people walk around.

Do you think I care BRTD?

And yes Elephant was excellent (okay perhaps not excellent but very, very good except for one thing which almost ruined the film for me. Almost.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3314 on: March 15, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

I felt nauseous just reading the Wikipedia article on that movie. I'm kind of scared to actually watch it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3315 on: March 15, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »

I watched the latest Star Trek movie. It was alright.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3316 on: March 15, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »

28 Days Later. A very enjoyable movie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3317 on: March 15, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »

Anyone else here seen this?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3318 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

The Story of Anvil

Bicycle Thieves

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How was it?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3319 on: March 15, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »

The Story of Anvil

Bicycle Thieves

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How was it?

Pretty revolting at times but very interesting. I liked it... as much as you can like that sort of thing anyway.

What did you think of Bicycle Thieves (or Thief)? It's one of my favorites.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3320 on: March 15, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

I appreciated it, but it's not something you want to watch over again. It seemed after awhile that the main thing is not that he lost his bicycle or even his job but that he has lost face in front of his son.

Italy in the 1940s makes the economic troubles of America today seem very minor indeed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3321 on: March 15, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »

I appreciated it, but it's not something you want to watch over again. It seemed after awhile that the main thing is not that he lost his bicycle or even his job but that he has lost face in front of his son.

Well that and more importantly that his family could very well end up starving to death.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3322 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:03 PM »

Well that and more importantly that his family could very well end up starving to death.

People starved to death in late 1940s Italy? The beginning of the movie implied there were lots of unemployed people who got welfare, they went hungry but did not starve to death.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3323 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »

People starved to death in late 1940s Italy? The beginning of the movie implied there were lots of unemployed people who got welfare, they went hungry but did not starve to death.

I'm sure some people did. Perhaps in this case it is hyperbole but this is the case that he makes to his son at dinner in the movie (if I'm remembering correctly).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3324 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »

I read the Wikipedia article. That was quite enough.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies