What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630412 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3500 on: May 23, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »

Date Night
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3501 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »

United 93.

The first half was very boring. It might not be if you weren't already aware of what was going to happen, but it was hard to get excited when planes hit the World Trade Center. The second half however while also a foregone conclusion was very powerful and intense.

Wish Libertas could post here about how it's a military-industrial complex propaganda film and how Muslims had nothing to do with 9/11.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3502 on: May 24, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »

The Departed
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3503 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »

Shrek: The Final Chapter - Wow.  This movie was absolutely amazing.  It was nothing but laughs from start to finish, and a really great way to finish the series.  I loved it.

Finish?

There'll be more Shrek movies.

Nah, this is the last one.

$$$
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3504 on: May 24, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »

The Dirty Dozen

Mildly entertaining, John Cassevetes was very good in it, nothing great though (how it inspired a movie as awsome as Inglourious Basterds will remain a mystery to me).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3505 on: May 25, 2010, 02:38:59 AM »

Shrek: The Final Chapter - Wow.  This movie was absolutely amazing.  It was nothing but laughs from start to finish, and a really great way to finish the series.  I loved it.

Finish?

$$$

But didn't you read my post? This one is basically bombing, doing a sequel/prequel will not be deemed worthwhile for some time (if ever). Remember, these movies actually have rather vast budgets.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3506 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »

Shrek 4 isn't bombing. It was actually pretty damn good.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3507 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »

It's not necessarily bombing but it's not pulling in anywhere near as much as the other sequels, and as Eraserhead said remember that these movies have pretty massive budgets, not to mention the marketing as well.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3508 on: May 25, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

Shrek 4 isn't bombing. It was actually pretty damn good.

Yeah it is.  It's pulling in nowhere near what it was expected to and the high cost of 3D is killing its per-theater profits, which are half that of Alice in Wonderland.

Thankfully it looks as though this is starting the death of the artificially created 3D craze.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #3509 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

Finish?

$$$

$$$ that isn't there due to the extremely high cost of making the films (as pointed out by BRTD).

I've seen the first three, should I see this one?  (Eric Idle's cameo really carried the last one for me.  I'd see him in anything.)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3510 on: May 25, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »

Really? I liked the first two, but was extremely disappointed with the third installment.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3511 on: May 25, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »

The Road: I'd heard a lot of mixed things, but I basically only know idiots so I didn't have any real expectations going in, other than that it was based on the Cormac McCarthy book. It was really good though, I'd give it a solid B+, maybe an A-
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3512 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

The Road: I'd heard a lot of mixed things, but I basically only know idiots so I didn't have any real expectations going in, other than that it was based on the Cormac McCarthy book. It was really good though, I'd give it a solid B+, maybe an A-

That movie was actually just too bleak and depressing for me to enjoy it at all. It lacked the "cool" factor in most post-apocalyptic works. This world was just a depressing horrid place with no real redeeming features.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3513 on: May 26, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »

Really? I liked the first two, but was extremely disappointed with the third installment.

Yeah, the third one was bad, but this is much better.  The only reason it isn't better than 1 or 2 is because those movies are so great.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3514 on: May 26, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »

Is it weird I haven't seen any in 2010 that I recall?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3515 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

How "hard" is the labor? Lolz
East Coast Republican

« Reply #3516 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »

Just Wright with her highness Queen Latifah.

If you see it, you'll see she doesn't end up as the home girl in the end.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3517 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

The Awful Truth (1937 Irene Dunne, Cary Grant)

best movie I have seen in a long time!  I am always surprised how "modern" big city life was back then.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3518 on: May 27, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »

Last one is probably Youth in Revolt

It was allright, kind of funny to see two sides of Michael Cera as a confident bad boy for a change. Maybe he won't be completely type-cast.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3519 on: May 27, 2010, 02:16:26 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2010, 03:02:24 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

That movie was actually just too bleak and depressing for me to enjoy it at all. It lacked the "cool" factor in most post-apocalyptic works. This world was just a depressing horrid place with no real redeeming features.

So exactly like a post-apoclayptic world should look like, no?

Anyway the last three films I saw...

Scanners (David Cronenberg, 1981): Decent horror film though shows how much Cronenberg had to develop by then (his next would be the unbelievable and brilliant Videodrome). Notable for featuring exploding heads and Cronenbergian-themes in embyro. Features quite possibly the worst lead male protagonist acting performance in the history of film.

The Lady from Shanghai (Orson Welles, 1948): Totally destroys the myth that Orson Welles' career peaked at Citizen Kane and then went into decline and artistic sloppiness. While it verges (in both good and bad ways) on being totally over the top, flawed, depends on cliche, utterly baroque (and loses control of its self) and the plot does not particularly make alot of sense, it is an utterly brilliant film noir. The fact that I say this about a film in which Orson Welles puts on a stage Oirish accent (sometimes it's okay, but at other times I wanted to swear at the screen...) probably says alot of think at the film. Dialogue is Grade A and this must be one of the most visually 'borrowed' films ever... I'm looking at you Baz Luhrmann (The Music added in after the film by the studio is awful though and can lead to confusion)

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (Werner Herzog, 1974): Sad, affecting 'realist' film set in 19th Century Germany. Has some excellent moments and is in many ways, the least Herzog Herzog film I've yet seen. Recommended though I think I admired it more than loved it. It perhaps engages too much in the idealization of the outsider (as being only an outsider) which is a trope I've grown to like less and less.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3520 on: May 28, 2010, 04:38:10 AM »

Bad Lieutenant

Bad cop movie turned up to 11. Deliberately. I suspect had an unknown director produced this is would be straight to DVD. Nic Cage does his Nic Cage performance - and it fits ok (given the great amount of hammy and clichéd dialogue generally).
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3521 on: May 29, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »

I saw two yesterday.

Get Real and Nixon. Both enjoyable movies.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3522 on: May 29, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »

I saw two yesterday.

I love [/i]Nixon[/i]. It overly inflated my hopes for W. though. I kept sitting there in the theatre wondering "Why is this movie such crap? Why couldn't you have just made this like Nixon and cut out the cheesiness and comedy?". It turned Bush into a cartoon character who makes gaffes in private conversations that happened during speeches. The best thing about Nixon was that it humanized him. The dialogue in Nixon and the casting were all amazing, the opposite was true of W.

Stone jumped the shark big time with Alexander, he'll never recover....
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3523 on: May 30, 2010, 08:15:24 AM »

I saw two yesterday.

I love [/i]Nixon[/i]. It overly inflated my hopes for W. though. I kept sitting there in the theatre wondering "Why is this movie such crap? Why couldn't you have just made this like Nixon and cut out the cheesiness and comedy?". It turned Bush into a cartoon character who makes gaffes in private conversations that happened during speeches. The best thing about Nixon was that it humanized him. The dialogue in Nixon and the casting were all amazing, the opposite was true of W.

Stone jumped the shark big time with Alexander, he'll never recover....

Yeah, that was also my problem with "W."

It was a movie which couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a serious character drama or a full-blown satire. The end product was a pretty uneven picture.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3524 on: May 30, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »

Avatar and The Hangover....both were WAY WAY over-rated as I had suspected.  Avatar looked like a cartoon and was at least an hour too long....and preachy...I guess it was pretty.  The Hangover had like, maybe 10 funny things happen in it and I saw 7 of those in the previews for it.  And I LOVE Ed Helms.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies