What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:41:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 629858 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4500 on: July 10, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »

Ninja Assassin
13 Assassins
Temple of Doom
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4501 on: July 10, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »

Let Me In.

Refreshingly subtle for its genre. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4502 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:21 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2011, 11:11:04 PM by Eraserhead »

I've watched a ton of them recently (many on TCM) including:

I Confess (1953)

One of those Hitchcock movies that nobody ever really talks about. Pretty well done.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

This is the first time I've watched this all the way through. It had some epic and memorable scenes as well as top notch acting. I'm sorry though, four hours is too long for any movie IMHO. I was bored at times.

Bloody Birthday (1981)

A weird and pretty hilarious B-movie about children who go crazy and start killing people when they turn ten because they were "born at the height of a lunar eclipse". Uh, yeah. There were a lot of boobs in it.

Splice (2009)

I can understand why so many casual moviegoers hated it with a passion. It had some pretty bizarre scenes in it. That's a plus in my book though, so I found it pretty interesting in some ways. Anyway, still not a great movie or anything though. It's basically yet another retelling of Frankenstein and you are kind of bashed over the head with MacGuffins. It kind of reminded me of an old X-Files episode too.

Hobo With A Shotgun (2011)

A cinematic masterpiece. If you have any interest in grindhouse movies, you have to see it! This is easily one of the most violent films I've ever seen. It is right up there with Antichrist in that respect except most the violence is seemingly done for laughs here. There is also almost a surreal quality to some it. There is one scene on a school bus that is just... uhh... wow.

Harry Potter and the ...

Yeah, I broke down ad started watching all of the Harry Potters. A bunch of my friends want me to come see the last one with them and I'm not gonna be the guy who doesn't know anything. I've been watching them all in such a short time that it almost feels like one long movie to me. I haven't loved or hated any of them yet. I think my general enjoyment of the series has increased along with the aging of the kids, unsurprisingly.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4503 on: July 18, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Ninja Assassin
13 Assassins
Temple of Doom
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

How was this? I hear good things.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4504 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:15 AM »

Film Four showed The Seventh Seal the other day, so I watched it. Never actually seen it all the way through before. Anyway, I liked it a lot which I'm sure is a highly controversial opinion (haha). Two things must be said though; the first is that none of the homages, parodies and references come even close to those scenes (which was a nice surprise), the second is that while much of the film was even more 'dated' than you'd expect from the late 50s, this wasn't a problem for me as it was aesthetically pleasing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4505 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:15 AM »

Film Four showed The Seventh Seal the other day, so I watched it. Never actually seen it all the way through before. Anyway, I liked it a lot which I'm sure is a highly controversial opinion (haha). Two things must be said though; the first is that none of the homages, parodies and references come even close to those scenes (which was a nice surprise), the second is that while much of the film was even more 'dated' than you'd expect from the late 50s, this wasn't a problem for me as it was aesthetically pleasing.

Bergman was dated even in the 50s, in a sense. Tongue

But the Seventh Seal is very, very good. I imagine it must be better for a Swedish-speaker though. The way he says things like "I am death" the intonation is rather special in Swedish.

Gunnar Fischer who did the cinematography for it died just last month.

Anyway, if you enjoyed that one you might also want to check out The Virgin Spring by Bergman.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4506 on: July 20, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

It felt a little rushed to me. I don't think it really deserved 97% and an 8.4 average rating on RT. Still pretty epic though and obviously a 1,000 times better than the other major summer blockbuster (Bayformers).

Also the Voldermort character is actually quite funny, in a demented sort of way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4507 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

But the Seventh Seal is very, very good. I imagine it must be better for a Swedish-speaker though. The way he says things like "I am death" the intonation is rather special in Swedish.

Anyway, if you enjoyed that one you might also want to check out The Virgin Spring by Bergman.

Very dated. But in a way that doesn't matter, so, in a way, it/he isn't. It's an odd* comparison and a different medium, but Thomas Hardy is a bit like that.

It was subtitled rather than dubbed, so at least you got to hear the words spoken by the actors and all that. Though, yeah, I imagine that it would be. Though hearing people speak Swedish is always vaguely amusing (in a nice way) to anyone who lives in the part of Wales that I do.

*Or wonderfully appropriate given their shared sense of the morbid? Did I just write 'a shared sense of the morbid' on the internet? Oh dear.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4508 on: July 21, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »

Very dated. But in a way that doesn't matter, so, in a way, it/he isn't. It's an odd* comparison and a different medium, but Thomas Hardy is a bit like that.

It was subtitled rather than dubbed, so at least you got to hear the words spoken by the actors and all that. Though, yeah, I imagine that it would be. Though hearing people speak Swedish is always vaguely amusing (in a nice way) to anyone who lives in the part of Wales that I do.

*Or wonderfully appropriate given their shared sense of the morbid? Did I just write 'a shared sense of the morbid' on the internet? Oh dear.

Right, dubbing is an atrocity that I'm glad ytou escaped. What I meant was rather that the way they speak Swedish in that movie is not how anyone speaks Swedish in reality, not even in the 50s. That's part of what I meant when I said it was dated even then.For me, that contributes a lot to the atmosphere of the movie.

I might be biased, given my nationality, but I find Bergman to be a great director. You should check out Whispers and Cries, Wild Strawberries and Through A Looking Glass Darkly, if you haven't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4509 on: July 21, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

Right, dubbing is an atrocity that I'm glad ytou escaped. What I meant was rather that the way they speak Swedish in that movie is not how anyone speaks Swedish in reality, not even in the 50s. That's part of what I meant when I said it was dated even then.For me, that contributes a lot to the atmosphere of the movie.

Ah, that's interesting. I did spot that the way some of the characters spoke was oddly sonorous and very theatrical and found that effective, but (obviously!) didn't pick up the full implications.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, I'll be doing that I think.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4510 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2011, 04:23:27 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

The Tree of Life

You know.. One day on and I still struggle to say anything remotely intelligent about the film (though I think it's not that much of a difficult watch. Certainly not when compared to The New World which I'll willingly admit defeated me). However I will say that enjoyed it a lot but I don't see the 2001 comparsions that well, if any film is similiar it's Tarkovsky's Zerkalo. And while it is a long time since I saw that film, I think it preferred to Malick's effort, which is perhaps a bit too American for my liking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4511 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

The Tree of Life

You know.. One day on and I still struggle to say anything remotely intelligent about the film (though I think it's not that much of a difficult watch. Certainly not when compared to The New World which I'll willingly admit defeated me). However I will say that enjoyed it a lot but I don't see the 2001 comparsions that well, if any film is similiar it's Tarkovsky's Zerkalo. And while it is a long time since I saw that film, I think it preferred to Malick's effort, which is perhaps a bit too American for my liking.

Well, I haven't seen Zerkalo. Now that you bring up Tarkovsky, I realize that it has similarities with the one Tarkovsky that I've seen (Andrei Rublev). So I can imagine there could be one very similar movie.

It's only comparable with 2001 in certain ways, of course.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4512 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

The Tree of Life

Well, I haven't seen Zerkalo. Now that you bring up Tarkovsky, I realize that it has similarities with the one Tarkovsky that I've seen (Andrei Rublev). So I can imagine there could be one very similar movie.

Oh, I see some similarities of course but the comparsion too journalistic for my liking ("Hey, which famous great American film is kind of like this?"). Anyway, it is always good to do a Tarkovsky shout out. Andrei Rublev is great too.

One further thing about Tree: The fact that this was made in contemporary hollywood shows that things aren't that bad after all (though in saying that, if Malick was trying to start his career now....)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4513 on: July 21, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

The Tree of Life

Oh, I see some similarities of course but the comparsion too journalistic for my liking ("Hey, which famous great American film is kind of like this?"). Anyway, it is always good to do a Tarkovsky shout out. Andrei Rublev is great too.

One further thing about Tree: The fact that this was made in contemporary hollywood shows that things aren't that bad after all (though in saying that, if Malick was trying to start his career now....)

Well...I wasn't thinking in terms of what American movie is like this. It was just the first movie I associated it with. It was basically the use of visual effects, showing nature and the universe and very little dialogue. All that stuff. As well as jumping around in time without really bothering about whether the viewer can follow the plot, sort of.

In terms of what the movie is about, I suspect your Tarkovsky is more similar.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4514 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:47 AM »

Captain America: The First Avenger

Excellent. Maybe Marvel Studios' best. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4515 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:32 AM »

Horrible Bosses
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4516 on: July 24, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »

For like the eight time I saw (well, the last 45 minutes of this time) Blade Runner.

There are o/c many problems with the film but has there really been a film (or at least a hollywood film) which created a unique and credible world which has its characters actually live in it and be encapuslated in it as well as BR did? I really struggle to think of one that comes close (Please don't say Star Wars or LOTR).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4517 on: July 24, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

The Machinist
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4518 on: July 24, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »

Captain America, a patently paint-by-numbers superhero film.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4519 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »

For like the eight time I saw (well, the last 45 minutes of this time) Blade Runner.

There are o/c many problems with the film but has there really been a film (or at least a hollywood film) which created a unique and credible world which has its characters actually live in it and be encapuslated in it as well as BR did? I really struggle to think of one that comes close (Please don't say Star Wars or LOTR).

The Wizard of Oz? Wink

And I'm surprised you didn't include the Matrix in your please don't say-list.

I haven't seen Blade Runner so I can't really make a serious suggestion.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4520 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II - it's depressing, that the series is over.  It was a major part of my childhood, and now it's done.  That said, this movie was the perfect sendoff.  Every actor had at least some lines, and Rickman was beyond words.  As a fan of the books I don't have much to complain about, which is a nice thing to be able to say.  All around an excellent final installment.
LBJer
« Reply #4521 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »

The Shawshank Redemption.  Very arguably the best movie of all time (although I would put it in second place, behind the first Godfather film).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4522 on: July 26, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »

They Won't Forget

Wow, talk about a forgotten classic. Quite powerful.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4523 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »

Human Centipede.

You know, a friend of mine and I thought it would be interesting to watch because Southpark spoofed it, but I can honestly say it was the biggest mistake I have made in my entire 22 years of life. And I hear the sequel is 100x worse.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4524 on: July 27, 2011, 06:12:37 AM »

Withnail & I

A defining work in the history of western civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies