What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:49:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626375 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: April 09, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »

Grindhouse...and it was a masterpeice! A true movie experience. Too bad it didn't make much money. I guess it really is a Grindhouse movie now.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »

Casablanca

Still one of my favorite films of all time; it's flawless and contains perhaps the best dialogue of all time. The amount of cool that Bogart possesses is astounding.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »

City of God, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Last Samurai

All mildly entertaining. City of God required thinking, which is a negative. Last Samurai had Tom Cruise, which is a negative, and Y Tu Mama Tambien just lost me after awhile.

I saw Curse of the Golden Flower today. Why must every Chinese film contain horribly fake martial arts?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »

I saw Curse of the Golden Flower today. Why must every Chinese film contain horribly fake martial arts?

I think its been a law in Chinese cinema since the success of Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, though some are more realistic than others though.

How was it other than the wire-fighting?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »

The acting was solid in places, but the plot centered around the impossible fight scenes which killed it. The Empress, Gong Li, was excellent sometimes.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »

I finally got to see Pans Labyrinth. I disliked the gross anti-Nationalist message, but the fantasy aspects and the visuals were done very well.
Rococo4

« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »

everyone told me how bad "The Black Dahlia" was, but I rented it anyways.  They were right.  Terrible.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #707 on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »

I saw The Namesake

It was very good. I read the book a few months ago when I heard this was coming out, since the author won a Pulitzer Prize for another book and she's supposed to be very good (Her name is Jhumpa Lahiri). The book was well written, just as I had been told. I think I'll read her other book soon, called "Interpreter of Maladies".

I didn't like that they changed minor details in the movie. In the book the family moves from Calcutta to Boston but they made it the New York suburbs instead. Also, they shortened my favorite part of the book, when Gogol (the main character, played by Kal Penn) goes with his girlfriend and her parents to their summer home in New Hampshire. The contrast between his middle-class Bengali background and the privileged WASPS he found himself with was really interesting, but they changed the vacation to Oyster Bay, a town on Long Island which just isn't the same.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2007, 02:05:10 AM »

Running Scared. My God... this movie is insane. Ultraviolent, hyperstylized, full of memorably sleazy characters, and it has some great plot twists. The highlight involves a wealthy couple with some unusual predilections- it doesn't directly show their crimes, but what the movie hints is nauseating. Honestly, that scene is the most horrifying thing I can remember seeing on film.

This flick didn't get much attention when it came out last year, but it's the kind of movie that attains cult status over the years- it's that good. It beats The Departed (a very fine film in its own right) as crime movie of the year, imo. Seriously, do yourself a favor and watch it. You may not like it as much as I did, but give it a chance.

IMDb page
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:29 AM »

SUNSHINE

In one smiley Huh What was with that film? A half melted man saying GOD told him that he wanted the World to die in an never-ending winter?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #710 on: April 19, 2007, 04:25:02 AM »

Return of the King. Showed on tv over easter.

Yeah, not as bad as part two, but worse than part one. Just as everybody told me it'd be.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #711 on: April 19, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »

Return of the King. Showed on tv over easter.

Yeah, not as bad as part two, but worse than part one. Just as everybody told me it'd be.

Agreed.
NHPolitico

« Reply #712 on: April 23, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »

It's been out a few weeks, but I just now saw 300 and I loved it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #713 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:10 PM »

I saw The History Boys and The Good German on Friday.

The History Boys marketed itself as a musically influenced comedy about English boys trying to get into Oxford. It was mildly successful in that. The parts dealing with that storyline were done well enough that I laughed. However, a good third or more of the movie dealt with the boys 60 year old male teacher fondling them, one boy's lust for another, and one boy's lust after his (other) male teacher. Frankly, it was disgusting. The headmaster was opposed to the teacher fondling the boys, but was portrayed as almost the villain for it. Absolutely disgusting.

The best part about The Good German was how it was filmed to look like a 1940s detective thriller. As to the rest, I can't say as I slept through the first 45 minutes.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #714 on: April 23, 2007, 07:26:18 PM »

The best part about The Good German was how it was filmed to look like a 1940s detective thriller. As to the rest, I can't say as I slept through the first 45 minutes.

I didn't see it but from the clips I've seen it looks like it really wanted to be Casablanca; they even used the same font/poster design.

I'll just stick with the classic.
Rococo4

« Reply #715 on: April 23, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »

Smokin' Aces.

Grade - a solid C.  You wont miss anything if you dont see this.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #716 on: April 24, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »

Valentine.  Horrible idea for a movie, horrible acting, yet somehow highly entertaining.

I'm tempted to go to theaters to see new movies, but I've been incredibly disappointed by the last couple movies I've seen in theaters.  I go and see these movies that are supposed to be riveting and have gotten excellent reviews, and experience the same thing over and over; the movie is full of stars but is severely lacking in plot and/or anything interesting.  Yet, even lacking any structure, these films carry on for a good 3 hours.  I don't understand this recent trend... (ex. The Good Shepherd, Children of Men, The Black Dahlia...)

What are you talking about? The Good Shepherd got bad reviews, The Black Dahlia super-horrible. Children of Men did get good reviews, but it was also excellent. Valentine was about as badly reviewed as the Black Dahlia so that too shouldn't have been much of a surprise.
Rococo4

« Reply #717 on: April 24, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »

what was even the point of the Good Sheperd?  I suffered through it, but really dont get what the point was.  That was a waste of about 3 hours
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #718 on: April 25, 2007, 12:38:20 AM »

Silent Hill. Not very good IMHO.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #719 on: April 25, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

Deja Vu.  It was very well written.

Rin-chan
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #720 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »

I like the games the movie was based on, but I refuse to see the movie because I heard it was bad (as 99% of movies based on games tend to be).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: April 25, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »

Last King of Scotland was a disappointment, but Forest Whitaker was still great.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »

Valentine.  Horrible idea for a movie, horrible acting, yet somehow highly entertaining.

I'm tempted to go to theaters to see new movies, but I've been incredibly disappointed by the last couple movies I've seen in theaters.  I go and see these movies that are supposed to be riveting and have gotten excellent reviews, and experience the same thing over and over; the movie is full of stars but is severely lacking in plot and/or anything interesting.  Yet, even lacking any structure, these films carry on for a good 3 hours.  I don't understand this recent trend... (ex. The Good Shepherd, Children of Men, The Black Dahlia...)

Children of Men did get good reviews, but it was also excellent.

I thought Children of Men never got to the point. It was torn between trying to be an action film and trying to be social commentary and it seemed to muddle along. I did like the cinematography alot though. I thought that was highly innovative and really made you feel as if this was a live feed from a reporter or a battlefield video taken by a soldier. So I don't know what it was. The overall plot was good I just don't think they either elaborated it enough or they didn't really seem to get what they wanted to do with the movie.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #723 on: April 26, 2007, 06:34:09 AM »

I thought Children of Men never got to the point. It was torn between trying to be an action film and trying to be social commentary and it seemed to muddle along. I did like the cinematography alot though. I thought that was highly innovative and really made you feel as if this was a live feed from a reporter or a battlefield video taken by a soldier. So I don't know what it was. The overall plot was good I just don't think they either elaborated it enough or they didn't really seem to get what they wanted to do with the movie.

What made it so good was exactly that it didn't try to be an action film at all but instead had an interesting story.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #724 on: April 27, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »

What made it so good was exactly that it didn't try to be an action film at all but instead had an interesting story.

Well I thought they didn't persue the story enough and they were stuck in this middle point between being focused on action and being focused on plot/character development. So it seems like they never paid enough attention or didn't spend enough time on the plot elements.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies