What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:15:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626322 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4400 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »

"Sharktopus". Heard about it from some friends who watch the SyFy (should be "sci-fi) channel and see all the horrible movies they put up. Awful, but funny in its awfullness. Hopefully I'm able to watch "Dinocroc vs. SuperGator" and "Mega-Python vs. Gateroid" soon.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4401 on: May 22, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »

"The Sharktopus" is actually the name of a very awesome post-hardcore band (sadly they only put one 5 song EP, but it rules.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4402 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

This is the first Pirates movie that I've watched in its entirety. They all seem to be a bunch of running around in circles though. Very dull. I did enjoy the sequence with the mermaids though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4403 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »

The Hangover Part II

Not very good.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4404 on: May 28, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »

Rabbit Hole

Excellent.  Probably should have been nominated for a few more awards than just Kidman's performance.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4405 on: May 28, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

Melancholia. Wow. Just wow. There are no words. I guess von Trier simply did it again.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #4406 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4407 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

Dog Day Afternoon

Sometimes I forget that Pacino used to be one of the greatest actors ever, instead of just playing variations on himself in every movie. Everything else about the movie was also pretty fantastic though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4408 on: May 30, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

The Hangover Part II

Definitely made me laugh enough. Yeah it is basically a retread of the first movie but it succeeded at being funny.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4409 on: May 30, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »

The Hangover Part II

Definitely made me laugh enough. Yeah it is basically a retread of the first movie but it succeeded at being funny.

I gotta disagree with you there. I chuckled a couple of times but that was it. There weren't any solid laughs for me.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4410 on: May 30, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »

Melancholia. Wow. Just wow. There are no words. I guess von Trier simply did it again.

So pretentious drivel....? 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4411 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:47 AM »

Nope. If you haven't been able to appreciate von Trier's genius yet I feel sorry for you. Smiley

Like many von Trier movies this one was actually pretty funny for a long time. That is, until it turned completely depressing, of course.

Dare I ask what you've seen by him?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4412 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2011, 06:26:58 AM by patrick1 »

Nope. If you haven't been able to appreciate von Trier's genius yet I feel sorry for you. Smiley

Like many von Trier movies this one was actually pretty funny for a long time. That is, until it turned completely depressing, of course.

Hmm, saw most of the Kingdom on IFC a very long time ago, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, and most of Breaking the Waves (I do like Emily Watson). That was enough for me.  I know many people like his work- I'm just not one of them.

I should also note that you would be wise to distance yourself from Von Trier, Herr Heinreich Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4413 on: May 31, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »

Hmm, saw most of the Kingdom on IFC a very long time ago, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, and most of Breaking the Waves (I do like Emily Watson). That was enough for me.  I know many people like his work- I'm just not one of them.

I should also note that you would be wise to distance yourself from Von Trier, Herr Heinreich Wink

Maybe it's a cultural/language barrier because I don't see anyone cannot love the Kingdom. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

And I'd make a Nazi-joke in response, but I've learnt my lesson. Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4414 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

I enjoyed Antichrist. It was an uplifting film.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4415 on: June 03, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »

X-Men: First Class

Excellent! The first half of it really was more like a James Bond film than an X-Men movie. Oh yeah, and there is seriously a tremendous amount of female eye candy in it which certainly didn't hurt my view.

I also watched The Spirit last night. Ugh.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4416 on: June 03, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

Dog Day Afternoon

Sometimes I forget that Pacino used to be one of the greatest actors ever, instead of just playing variations on himself in every movie. Everything else about the movie was also pretty fantastic though.

Haha, yes, he's certainly gone to the dogs.  I love that film.

So, my recent viewing was of 'Let Me In' - OK, I hardly never like horror movies, but I did quite like this one.  The whole film was quite bracingly intense and appealing (I'm a sucker for 1983), with some actual scary bits, and I loved the idea of falling in love with 'evil', and also the feeling that the victims of 'evil' aren't worth getting upset with 'evil' about...   My favorite scene is when he's on the train and she's there, in the trunk.  It was strangely comforting.  

Also, the little girl/monster is really lovely and androgynous.

I've not seen the Scandinavia original, but I'd like to.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4417 on: June 03, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »

Excellent! The first half of it really was more like a James Bond film than an X-Men movie. Oh yeah, and there is seriously a tremendous amount of female eye candy in it which certainly didn't hurt my view.

I also saw X-Men: First Class, and I agree that it was a really good movie (with the exception of January Jones).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4418 on: June 03, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »

I also saw X-Men: First Class, and I agree that it was a really good movie (with the exception of January Jones).

She's not a good actress... but she definitely looked the part.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4419 on: June 03, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

I've never seen any of the X-Men movies but I will see First Class because I like the setting and premise.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4420 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

I've never seen any of the X-Men movies but I will see First Class because I like the setting and premise.

What's the premise again?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4421 on: June 04, 2011, 02:48:44 AM »

What's the premise again?

It is mostly set during the Cold War era and the X-Men have to stop a nuclear war from breaking out during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4422 on: June 05, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »

The Tree of Life.

This is the most pretentious movie of all time, most likely. There is no plot to it, and by that I don't mean it's just random events that sort of tie together barely like Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction, there are barely any events at all. There is probably as much dialogue as there is in your average episode of a half-hour sitcom. You could cut 40 minutes without changing much. If you are going to see it, then you must see it in a theater. The completely unnecessary yet stunning visual sequences of the Earth, cellular creation and the dinosaurs are probably the best part. How they tie into childhood in the 50s is beyond me, but when it looks that good I really don't care.

But you have to realize, this is NOTHING like what you probably think of in terms of a "movie".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4423 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »

Too Big to Fail - I rather liked it.  I thought the actors were all amazing, even if Topher Grace was basically playing Eric Foreman again.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #4424 on: June 05, 2011, 10:35:11 PM »

Midnight in Paris.

After being somewhat disappointed with Allen's You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Midnight in Paris is the best movie I've seen in years.  It helps that I'm deeply familiar with the subject material and deeply emphasize with Owen Wilson's character (I wouldn't mind spending my evenings in 1920s Paris with the expat crowd: F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Cole and Linda Porter, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali...).  It's a pretty blatant shot at people like me and the Golden Age fallacy: I love the past because I despise the present, I suppose, and Allen does a good job at showing what an idiot I am for that. 

I love Woody Allen and I'll religiously go see even his lesser films, so after seeing what I feel will probably end up being his best movie of the 2010s I am just in awe.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies