What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:40:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 628687 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4950 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »

I find visual films to be better under the influence of anything. Plots are too much effort.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4951 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »

I should definitely add The Tree of Life to my list of "films to watch while high" list, after Inception.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4952 on: February 14, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »

I finally saw Midnight in Paris.  It's my favorite movie of 2011 hands down.

A good movie for Naso, but he probably wouldn't get why.

Also saw that recently. Ironically enough while influenced. Not the best choice for that but I still liked it.

In case I forgot to mention it here I also saw Iron Lady recently. That was pretty much crap though.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4953 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »

In case I forgot to mention it here I also saw Iron Lady recently. That was pretty much crap though.
I accept the narrative was clumsy and innacurate ,and missed out a lot of the undramatic but important things, I  thought the acting was outstanding. Meryl Deserves the Oscar IMO.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4954 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, and I still have an irrational love of it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4955 on: February 14, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

I accept the narrative was clumsy and innacurate ,and missed out a lot of the undramatic but important things, I  thought the acting was outstanding. Meryl Deserves the Oscar IMO.

Oh, right. I agree the acting was good (though I haven't seen enough or followed the race to comment on the Oscars). It's a good example of how good acting can't really save a badly directed bad script though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4956 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Disappointing. It's way too slow and uneventful for my tastes.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4957 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »

The Descendants
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4958 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »

The Artist. Interesting experience. Poignant film. I am not sure if it is a gimmick or not, though. Only time will tell (i.e., will people talk about it five years from now?)

The Descendants is better, though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4959 on: February 14, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »

Viva Cuba

Long stretches of monotony interrupted by brief glimpses of WTF (although perhaps it would have made more sense if I had seen it with subtitles), along with a shocking amount of implied nudity for a film about prepubescent children. There was one dude who kind of looked like Lewis Trondheim, though.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4960 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »

Weekend.

Apparently some people like that movie. I would enjoy actually meeting one of them.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4961 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Rubber
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Which is strange....but....
Very weird movie.

Wow, didn't know about this one. Grin

Wow, me neither. And it did Cannes.

How come I forgot one in the last row that I posted here:

Dikkenek !

Crazy Belgian movie about random normal people engaged in odd situations that are as normal as crazy. It's not easy to well describe. Very Belgian. Belgians are quite good at those stuffs.

(when a French says 'Belgian/Belgium', he indeed means 'Wallon/Wallonia', Flanders/Flemish are not part of our universe, or only for the people living close to the border who needs to buy cigarettes.)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #4962 on: February 17, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »

The Vow.

Truly awful.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4963 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 06:44:37 PM by Politico »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

Coincidentally, it could be an allegory for the 2012 Republican primaries/caucuses with Liam Neeson playing Mitt Romney, and the wolves representing Democratic Party special interests with Alpha Wolf Barack Obama and Omega Wolf John King (Think back to Newt's response to John's debate opener a few weeks ago). One of the human characters is even a black guy whose fate resembles the whimpering exit of Herman Cain. And look at how closely the "final four" in the movie parallel Mitt, Rick, Newt and Ron Paul LOL

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4964 on: February 17, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Shut up.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4965 on: February 17, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

Coincidentally, it could be an allegory for the 2012 Republican primaries/caucuses with Liam Neeson playing Mitt Romney, and the wolves representing Democratic Party special interests with Alpha Wolf Barack Obama and Omega Wolf John King (Think back to Newt's response to John's debate opener a few weeks ago). One of the human characters is even a black guy whose fate resembles the whimpering exit of Herman Cain. And look at how closely the "final four" in the movie parallel Mitt, Rick, Newt and Ron Paul LOL

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF

I think this is final proof that you must be a total fraud... It was truly appalling, incredibly lazy film making...

Me - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last week and The Artist tonight...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4966 on: February 17, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF
You bring up a CNN Debate Host here, and it's John King!! 
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4967 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF
You bring up a CNN Debate Host here, and it's John King!! 

Well, if you saw the way the troublemaker of the group (Gingrich) took care of the omega wolf (John King) after his surprise attack, you would get the joke I am making.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4968 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 10:23:53 PM by Politico »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF

I think this is final proof that you must be a total fraud... It was truly appalling, incredibly lazy film making...

How so? I thought it was well done. I was expecting MUCH less. I was expecting a mindless popcorn flick, a mere escape from reality with a few good unintentional laughs, and actually got a bit of substance with a few emotional moments (e.g., the plane crash and the ending). The acting, music and cinematography were outstanding, especially for an action-adventure film. It is a better film than probably half of the films that garnered a 2012 Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. It is one of the best January releases I have ever seen. It received nearly 80% on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason.

What did you think of these two? I quite liked them. Not sure how The Artist is going to be remembered in the future, though. Strikes me as a bit "gimmicky." I feel like The Descendants is a better film, but The Artist will probably win Best Picture.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4969 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »

What's your problem, Mr. Stuck in 1977?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4970 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

The Singing Detective was in 1986. He wouldn't dare go further back in time than that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4971 on: February 18, 2012, 12:35:54 AM »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF

How so? I thought it was well done. I was expecting MUCH less. I was expecting a mindless popcorn flick, a mere escape from reality with a few good unintentional laughs, and actually got a bit of substance with a few emotional moments (e.g., the plane crash and the ending). The acting, music and cinematography were outstanding, especially for an action-adventure film. It is a better film than probably half of the films that garnered a 2012 Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. It is one of the best January releases I have ever seen. It received nearly 80% on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason.

What did you think of these two? I quite liked them. Not sure how The Artist is going to be remembered in the future, though. Strikes me as a bit "gimmicky." I feel like The Descendants is a better film, but The Artist will probably win Best Picture.

TTSP - was very La Carre, very well done - a slow -burner. Just came out of the Artist, it was a really lovely and really well made.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4972 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »

I saw most of The Grey and considering that I had basically no interest in it prior to seeing it, I was kind of blown away by it. It's a dark, interesting film with some minor problems. Why Politico has to turn it into another Romney masturbationathon, who knows? Well, okay, we know why... it's his whole schtick.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #4973 on: February 18, 2012, 02:57:04 AM »

Watched Russian film Generation P yesterday. Weird, but describes the 90's in Russia well.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4974 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:35 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2012, 03:54:24 AM by Politico »

I saw most of The Grey and considering that I had basically no interest in it prior to seeing it, I was kind of blown away by it. It's a dark, interesting film

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I was the only one on here. By the way, I hope you caught it on the big screen because I imagine it's much more powerful in the theater.

A highly underrated little gem that is going to be unwatched by many who would be surprised by how good it is. They marketed it to get in the January movie crowd, but it is easily one of the best January releases of modern times. I might even go so far as to say it would have got an Oscar nod for Best Picture had it been released in December. I thought I was going to get "LIAM NEESON KICKS WOLF ASS! LIAM NEESON IN THE MOVIE TAKEN MEETS SARAH PALIN'S ALASKA!" but it really is a rather dark, interesting film with some truly poignant moments. Not many films do as good of a job of portraying survival, and dealing with death. I almost got teary-eyed at one particular moment near the end (and anybody who has seen it knows which scene I am talking about; anybody who does not get somewhat emotional during that scene has obviously never lost a loved one before, or did not pay attention to the rest of the movie). There is also a moment of pure horror in the film: I had my hand stuck in the popcorn bowl, mouth wide open, from the beginning to the end of the plane crash. I do not think I have ever seen a scarier portrayal of a plane crash before with the possible exception of the very end of United 93. I reflected upon the movie for quite awhile afterward, too. You know a movie is powerful when it basically forces you to think about it afterward. Not a cinematic masterpiece by any means; simply a really good movie that kicks the sh**t out of your expectations.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies